mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Wink hydraulic disc brake conversion

mtbr users

I want to convert the v-brakes on my 1998 Kona stab to hydraulic disk brakes but i'm not sure what I need or what brakes will fit, i'm not sure if the rear hub, the frame or the fork are compatible but i know i will need a new front wheel. I have added some photos for you to see.

Cheers
    Nathan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hydraulic disc brake conversion-img_1058.jpg  

hydraulic disc brake conversion-img_1057.jpg  

hydraulic disc brake conversion-img_1059.jpg  

hydraulic disc brake conversion-img_1060.jpg  

hydraulic disc brake conversion-img_1061.jpg  

hydraulic disc brake conversion-img_1062.jpg  

hydraulic disc brake conversion-img_1063.jpg  

hydraulic disc brake conversion-img_1064.jpg  

Currently in Exile
    Go with regular disk hubs (100 mm front, 135 mm rear) with 9 mm skewers. Based on the alignment of the disk tabs, it is hard to tell if you need a 160 mm rotor or a 180 mm rotor. But, based on the style of riding the Stab is built for, I would hazard a guess that you would need the 180 mm rotors.

I'm sure that if you were to take the bike to your local bike shop, they could do a better job of figuring that out than we can by looking at pictures on line.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    thanks for the help and i probably will take it into a bike shop in the near future

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It would be easier the pick up some wheels ,might even be cheeper that relacing your wheels with new hubs. You could put some mechicanical discs like Avid bb7's,that way you could use the brake levels you already have,otherwise you will need at least new levers and maybe new shifters (can't tell by the pics if your are one piece or not.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Between the new disc hubs, new/rebuilt wheels, disc brakes, rotors and adapters you're going to be putting a lot of money into a 20 year old bike. You may be better off picking up something lightly used for a bit more money.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanaver00 View Post
    mtbr users

I want to convert the v-brakes on my 1998 Kona stab to hydraulic disk brakes but i'm not sure what I need or what brakes will fit, i'm not sure if the rear hub, the frame or the fork are compatible but i know i will need a new front wheel. I have added some photos for you to see.

Cheers
    Nathan
    Do not buy anything until you can confirm the disc mount spec.
    '98 is pre-IS spec for disc brakes. Pretty sure the fork brake tabs are not the current IS spacing (I had one). The rear mounts are likely non-standard, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes View Post
    Go with regular disk hubs (100 mm front, 135 mm rear) with 9 mm skewers...
    Standard QR skewers have 5mm shafts. Front axle(ends) are 9mm, rear 10mm for QR/open dropout frames/forks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

hydraulic disc brake conversion

I agree that this might turn into a very costly adventure that makes you wish you might have just got a different bike with newer technology.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I picked up the bike for a very cheap $100 dollars from my brother so with that in mind I do think the break upgrade is worth the cost. even if it costs $200 to do the full upgrade it is still only a $300 bike, and I doubt its going to cost $200 or more. Also I am some what sure the rear hub is already compatible. Plus a friend of mine is willing to sell a 2010 Norco Bigfoot (not ride able) for $100 with shimano M-575 185 mm hydraulic disk brakes, shifters, hubs, etc. the only problem with this bike is the back wheel ( which i do not need). All the other parts I should be able to use. on top of those parts i will have to buy adapters but that may be the only parts I need.
    Last edited by nathanaver00; 04-17-2013 at 11:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    another thing i would like to ask: IS Frame/Fork to Post Mount Caliper Adaptor | Buy Now at ChainReactionCycles.com how do i know which adapter to buy?

mtbr member
    If Shiggy is right they are not IS, so you will probably not be able to find an adapter easily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd replace the wheel on the Norco and ride it if it fits. You could easily spend over 200
    $ on just a wheel.

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It likely is not IS - I had pre-2000 Magura Julie and it had different location of the rotor that current IS spec - it would require a hub from same timeframe and those pretty difficult to get.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    the fork is a 2001 marzocchi bomber 130mm.
    This is the fork Tenneco Marzocchi Suspension - 2001 forks - Z1 MCR and it's brake hanger is IS
    Last edited by nathanaver00; 04-18-2013 at 01:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Honestly, a new wheel/break set-up is probably going to cost threefold of what that bike is worth. I'd just save up for a newer (used or new) bike.

Currently in Exile
    Thanks for the correctioin Shiggy. Must of been drinking when I typed that.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea