mtbr member

Hydrapak Reyes vs. Dakine Session

I want a smallish pack with a 2-3 liter bladder.

Initially I considered Camelbak's offering: the Consigliere, the M.U.L.E. and the Charge 450. But then I realized that I'd rather use Hydrapak's bladders, which are so easy to clean and dry, upside-down.

Now I am considering two models, Hydrapak Reyes and Dakine Session:
    Name:  Hydrapak-Reyes-back-3.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  35.6 KB Name:  dakine session.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  10.4 KB

The concept is similar. The former is slightly larger (8,3 liters in total) and has a larger 3 liter bladder, weighing around 570 grams. The latter has a 6.5 volume with a 2 liter bladder and weighs 400 grams (as for the weights, I don't know whether they include bladder or not). I should manage to hook either a helmet or knee/arm pads on both of them, shouldn't I?

The Hydrapak Reyes has a couple of good reviews, and it seems the Dakine Session has good user feedback as well. Do have any advice on either of these packs?

I like the Reyes, but I am only a bit concerned of this comment I found in the review by Bike Rumor:
    Even though this pack has never seen temperatures over 50 degrees, itís not uncommon for me to finish a hard ride with a wet rectangle on my back. Some sort of 3D mesh or molded foam could help with ventilation- though possibly at the expense of weight and stability. As it stands now, all that sits between the rider and a very un-breathable bladder are a couple of thin layers of fabric. No matter how well that fabric may wick, the moisture needs some sort of escape route. This isnít uncommon with lightweight packs, but is an area that could be improved upon.
    This is a pick of the pack panel of the Reyes. It seems ok to me. But do you think the Dakine Session is better in this respect?
    Name:  Hydrapak-Reyes-back.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  49.6 KB
    Last edited by solitone; 07-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member

Session vs. Reyes: back panels

This is the Breathable DriMeshģ back panel of the Dakine Session:
    Name:  dakine_back.png
Views: 960
Size:  334.2 KB

I don't know whether it's much different from the Soft Moisture Wicking Back Panel of the Hydrapak Reyes:
    Hydrapak Reyes vs. Dakine Session-reyes_back-2.png

What do you make of it?
    Last edited by solitone; 07-24-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added image of Reyes back panel