burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009

Huck N Roll is dead?

So I tried to go to hucknroll.com today and got redirected to CompetitiveCyclist.com - what gives?? I know they're owned by the same parent (Backcountry.com) but I thought HuckNRoll had a decent name for itself by this point.

Also, some items got more expensive when the switch was made...
    Last edited by burnedthetoast; 10-16-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: links
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride
    Blog: Daddy Rides Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's lame. Hucknroll was sweet, I got my bars from there.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I liked Hucknroll. I ordered a few things from them... including my bike.

mtbr member
    They're just consolidated with Competitive Cyclist, which are all under the Backcountry.com umbrella of companies. I doubt there will be any noticeable difference in dealing with Competitive Cyclist going forward. I asked them about this last week when I was in buying something, and they assured me that Competitive Cyclist would honor returns, etc., if necessary.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    I knew about this ahead of time without wanting to. Loved me some HucknRoll. Ordered an Orbea Frame from them. Got a confirmation e-mail from competitive cyclist. Freaked out and thought I messed up somehow and I wasn't getting my frame. Called competitive cyclist asking how the hell did they get my order? They said they were combining in a week and were taking over the orders a week before they closed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just visited HnR and they directed me to CC. I went on live chat w/ CC because i had a few questions. Oh boy, they are Fcking w/ a great customer service that HnR had built over the years. All i can say is that i won't spend my $$$ on CC.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    An old thread about this take over company.

Are they more competitive then they used to be or are they still whinging that they can't compete with other companies.

Last edited by cobba; 10-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Falls-a-Lot
    Weird...but RealCyclist.com is still there and they were one of those stores that fell under the Backcountry.com umbrella. I wonder what the difference is...?
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just sent some shoes back to Hucknroll yesterday, wrong size. Hope the refund goes smoothly.

somewhat schizophrenic
    May 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Nuts...

And I was just about to pick up a pair of 5.10 Impact Highs there at 50% off. Of course the discount is now gone at Competitive Cyclist....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ecfritts View Post
    I just sent some shoes back to Hucknroll yesterday, wrong size. Hope the refund goes smoothly.
    I hope so too man, I just sent some shorts back last week, again for wrong size, and haven't gotten my dough back just yet. But, it was only a week ago so let's see...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I had a bad feeling when I noticed a lot of bike components on

I'm sure you guys with returns will get it sorted out without any problems. The company as a whole is still around I'm sure.

Low Rep Count
    HnR had some really great deals over the years and I personally have had several different orders with them. I have also ordered stuff from CC (mostly roadie stuff) and have had good luck with them as well. I can say that the deals have not been as good w/ CC though. Just the nature of the beast I guess. A larger company realizes that a smaller one has something good going, is making money, money they could be making, so they buy them out. The original owner makes out and feels good now that he doesn't have to work for a living and life goes on... (sorry, went off on that one. not sure how or why the whole deal went down honestly....) Too bad, I do have an HnR sticker on my lunch box though!

mtbr member
    Can I now auction off my unused HnR stickers (received with past orders) to the highest bidder?
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    HnR had some really great deals over the years and I personally have had several different orders with them. I have also ordered stuff from CC (mostly roadie stuff) and have had good luck with them as well. I can say that the deals have not been as good w/ CC though. Just the nature of the beast I guess. A larger company realizes that a smaller one has something good going, is making money, money they could be making, so they buy them out. The original owner makes out and feels good now that he doesn't have to work for a living and life goes on... (sorry, went off on that one. not sure how or why the whole deal went down honestly....) Too bad, I do have an HnR sticker on my lunch box though!
    I don't really think there was much of a deal, at least not for a while ( might have bought HnR some time ago, I suppose), as HnR, CC, and about 5 other "companies" owned by backcountry.com have been in the same building, same warehouse, same employees, and have used the same product numbers and information for at least 2 years now. When you drive up to the store/warehouse, all the names are on the outside.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Backcountry.com Folds HuckNRoll into CompetitiveCyclist

Backcountry.com’s bike division morphed again Tuesday when the online retailer announced it had closed HuckNroll.com, a site that had been dedicated to mountain biking.

HuckNroll.com sold its last item at 5:59 AM Tuesday (Oct. 16). It’s former customers can now find mountain bikes and gear, including cross-country and downhill bikes, at Competitive Cyclist, which Backcountry acquired in August, 2011.

“HuckNroll customers can find the same selection at Competitive Cyclist. The inventory that lived on HuckNroll is now available there,” said Brendan Quirk, general manager of the Bike Division of Backcountry.com — the specialty retailer that operates Competitive Cyclist, HuckNroll.com, RealCyclist.com, and Chainlove.com. “We didn’t close HuckNroll because we don’t want to sell mountain bikes, we closed HuckNroll because we do, and we know that honing our and our customers’ focus on Competitive Cyclist will ultimately be what’s best for our customers.”

Competitive Cyclist offers a premium selection of road, mountain, triathlon, and time trial bikes, clothing, and accessories. The site has expanded its selection to include downhill mountain bikes as well, to better meet the needs of customers directed to the site from HuckNroll.

All bikes purchased from Competitive Cyclist are built to spec by professional mechanics and shipped out Ready to Ride. Customers also have access to a full staff of road- and trail-smart customer service reps trained to customize every rider’s shopping experience. In addition to free shipping on all orders over $50 and unconditional lifetime returns, Competitive Cyclist has more information, videos, and in-depth reviews than any other specialty bike shop.

HuckNroll customers are not out of luck if they still have business with the store. They can return any items to the site within 60 days of purchase by going to HuckNroll.com. They can also redeem any existing HuckNroll gift cards on Competitive Cyclist and Backcountry.com.

“We want this to be a smooth transition for HuckNroll customers,” said Quirk. “We’ll do everything we can to make it that way.”

HuckNroll.com and Competitive Cyclist are part of Backcountry.com – a controlled subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation attributed to the Liberty Interactive Group.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So I just got off the phone with a rep in regards to my return, shipping info indicates it was delivered and received last friday, so what took almost a week to give my money back?

"For whatever reason our returns department doesn't refund Amazon orders and they wait for the customer to call in for it."

What? REALLY? The hell kind of customer service that??

Anyway, got my dough back. If you're waiting on your money back I'd say give them a ring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Most of all I'll miss their gorilla mascot. Hated to see him go, .

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, they had a good logo/mascot going! I'm sure customer service etc. will continue similarly... but again, HNR had a good rep - so it just seems weird to me to close it down when everything was functionally consolidated.
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride
    Blog: Daddy Rides Bikes

usually cranky
    i guess my HnR is a classic now.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I just call backcountry.com direct about anything in their umbrella anyway. I wonder if they're just taking some time to get Competitive Cyclist more consolidated into the rest of their group. They probably don't want to lay off all the employees that came with the company, and there's probably IT stuff that needs to get sorted for things to be smooth and nice.

Maybe surprising that Huck 'n' Roll got folded into Competitive Cyclist and not the other way 'round, but on the other hand, kind of a no-brainer if Competitive Cyclist is a stronger brand. TBH, I was never a big fan of Huck 'n' Roll. It was yet another name, the business with having backcountry AND realcyclist AND huck 'n' roll was confusing, and why bother buying CC if it didn't have a stronger brand identity. Give it another year or two, and I bet that Competitive Cyclist's service is just as good or bad as the rest of backcountry.com.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Abby Design & Constructio
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabanos i Pyvo View Post
    And I was just about to pick up a pair of 5.10 Impact Highs there at 50% off. Of course the discount is now gone at Competitive Cyclist....
    Me too! Got some off ebay though