Thread: Hub swap

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hub swap

Right now I'm riding a Specialized Hardrock with v-brakes but since I'm moving to a wet/snowy area (Korea) I was advised to get some disk brakes installed.

My problem is that the hubs I have now aren't set up to accept rotors even though my frame has mounts for the calipers, so is it possible to just swap the hubs to a set that has the holes to mount a rotor? My local bike shop says I'll need to buy all new wheels but if I can find a set of hubs to save some money I'd rather do that.

Any insight and advice is welcome.

mtbr member
    Sure it can be done but you would need to get the wheels relaced. With labor this may end up costing more than a new set of wheels.
    If you are getting all the work done at a LBS then I don't see how you will walk out of there without paying at least $300 for parts and labor (brakes and wheels) -- possibly more. That's a lot of money to modify a Hardrock. In your shoes, I'd sell the bike and look for a used bike with disk brakes as a replacement. Or, just forget about it and ride your current bike with v-brakes in Korea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hub swap

Damn, I was afraid that's what the answer would be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hub swap

I just want to improve my braking since I'm worried about traffic...Asian drivers and all lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Save your money, the v-brakes are fine for 90% of most riding. If it was the bike shop that recommended the upgrade then shame on them, they just want to lighten your wallet before you move.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    If you are mostly commuting, just stick with the v-brakes. It's the snow and ice on the roads that will make you slip when you pull on the brakes, that' s true for disc and v-brakes. It may be better to spend a little money on studded tires.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Unless you are already familiar with the traffic conditions of Korea you might just want to hold off on your commuting by bike plans anyway. If you are not used to normal local driver behavior then you can end up hurt very quickly.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hub swap

Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post
    Unless you are already familiar with the traffic conditions of Korea you might just want to hold off on your commuting by bike plans anyway. If you are not used to normal local driver behavior then you can end up hurt very quickly.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    It's not an option for me. Being in the military, they kind of restrict everyone from bringing their vehicles so it's bike or walk.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've swapped hubs in the past.

Best case, your existing spoke lengths work. I think this is unlikely. The flange spacing is a little different and most disc hubs I've seen have a higher flange on the disc side, or both higher flanges, than non-disc hubs.

Once you're into buying spokes, it's really hard to keep this project sub-$200, which is when it starts getting feasible to just buy some inexpensive but good wheels that have disc hubs from the get-go.

I agree that disc brakes are nice in wet conditions. However, all rim brakes are not created equal. Try Kool Stop salmon-colored brake pads if you haven't already. Get the ones with holders if your brakes don't already use them. It makes a pretty big difference and should cost about a tenth as much.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hub swap

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I've swapped hubs in the past.

Best case, your existing spoke lengths work. I think this is unlikely. The flange spacing is a little different and most disc hubs I've seen have a higher flange on the disc side, or both higher flanges, than non-disc hubs.

Once you're into buying spokes, it's really hard to keep this project sub-$200, which is when it starts getting feasible to just buy some inexpensive but good wheels that have disc hubs from the get-go.

I agree that disc brakes are nice in wet conditions. However, all rim brakes are not created equal. Try Kool Stop salmon-colored brake pads if you haven't already. Get the ones with holders if your brakes don't already use them. It makes a pretty big difference and should cost about a tenth as much.
    I figured if the project was going to be just as much as buying new wheels anyways that I would just get the all weather pads. I've heard mixed reviews on the salmon pads though.

mtbr member
    I'll 2nd the Kool stop pads, I have noticed they can be squeaky with some rims. I have no idea why though. They've worked for me. I wonder if those riders with problems perhaps tried to break the pads in by slamming them after going down a good sized hill and ended up creating a hard surface on the pad due to the heat caused by the friction which resulted in poor braking and squeaking. Just a theory.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hub swap

Maybe. The reviews I've read seem split down the middle so it could either be operator error or a mechanical issue

Fat-tired Roadie
    What problems do people report with the Kool Stop pads?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Either improper installation or perhaps counterfeit pads? Never had an issue with the 'good' compound stopping, even in the rain or mud.

Might help if you drag your brakes a little when your rims get wet/snowy to keep them somewhat clean and you shouldn't have huge issues. As was mentioned above, wet discs will not stop well till they're dry either, if your throwing water or mud up into the rotor/caliper, you can do the same thing with them...

mtbr member
    Wife swap?
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hub swap

I've read that some people say they're really loud when braking, others say they don't work any better than regular pads. If I get a chance this weekend I'll pick some up and give them a try