sufferer of a.d.d.

how is "zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance"?

i just bought it last night. it looks to be a pretty good guide to helping me upkeep my bike. but if there is a much better book i'd like to return this one before i dog ear the pages and thrash it too badly. thanks in advance

oleum perdisti

keep the book

It's pretty decent.

Sam

XCdude

I like it, is good for a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by warmseth
    i just bought it last night. it looks to be a pretty good guide to helping me upkeep my bike. but if there is a much better book i'd like to return this one before i dog ear the pages and thrash it too badly. thanks in advance
    I been doing all the repairs on my bikes since I bought it, everything still working.

Trail rider and racer
    This is the perfect book indeed. Mine has grease and oil stains over it - I always use it when in doubt.

Trevor!

mtbr member

I found that..

it's a very good foundation, especially when complimented with the stuff at Parktools website.

banned
    It really is about the best one out there. My only complaint is that I'd prefer sharp, color photos instead of hand-drawn diagrams in some cases - but that's just me.

A wheelist
    I do ALL my own rapairs, always have, always will but I asked for this book for xmas just to see what Zinn has to say. Yes it's a good book. Keep it.

And yes, use the Park Tool site too as was already suggested in this thread.

Google-up Sheldon Brown too and bookmark in and I'll humbly add my FAQ -

http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

keep it...

It's a great way to start learning 'bout your bike. Before you know it, you'll be using the wheelbuilding chapter just for fun.

-Que?

members only
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    ... Sheldon Brown ...
    I have many pages printed out from Sheldon, stuffed in the grease pages of my "Zin & Art" book.

contains quinine

ditto!

And mine was signed by leonard when i bought it. Turns out i lived with a shop rat who used to build his high end wheels for his high end frames who's mentioned on the thanks page. I mostly use mine as a reference for building wheels since I build them just infrequently enough that i can't remember the exact lacing order.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Barnett's Manual

Try this web page for chapters of Barnett's manual. It is a great compliment to Zinn.

http://home.eol.ca/~lbgradwell/barnett.htm

Map Maker

Zinn is a Keeper

I bought Zinn a few years ago and have gone to the shop just once for repairs since. That was to swap my Chris King head set out from one frame to another. I just didn't want to risk f#cking it up. My LBS has the special Chirs King cups you need for the head set press too.

Zinn in a good guy - he even emailed me once out of the blue because I reviewed his book over in the Product review section.
    I now build all my own wheels - and with Zinn's help built 4 or 5 bike from the frame up.
    Sheldon Brown's website is another very good resource
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
    - and the Park tools website has some good torque info.

Start buy tools slowly now as you need them , shell out the Extra bucks for the Park Tools for everything except the trueing stand - you can pick one of the cheaper versions from Performance bike and it will do good enough.
    The park tools work good and hold up and get a torque wrech from sears.

Soon you will be doing stuff like taking your fork apart because you know it needs an oil change.Good Luck!
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    I have it and the Bike Magazine books. While I like the Bike Mag a bit better, it's nice to have two. In case one is too confusing, you can check the other.