How to steal a bike

Printable View

• 03-07-2007
    KPVSR
    I always get worried about mine at adventure races. There rerally is not time to lock it after you ride and there are sooo many people around. I did one in Alabama where after the ride part is done your bike gets loaded up and brought back to the finish area and set out in the grass with a ton of other bikes. No secure area, nobody watching and anyone allowed to go in and grab a bike. Since the bikes are randomly placed in the area you have no idea where yours is so you have to wander around looking. It appeared like it would have been very easy for someone to wander through the bikes until they found one they liked and walk off with it. I would like to think a fellow racer wouldn't do this but anyone was allowed in the bike area. I don't think I will be doing that race again. Any one ever here of bikes being stolen at races? Many times it looks like easy pickins for a theif.
  • 03-07-2007
    Offtime3123
    What point are they trying to make here? I see little good that can come from this.
  • 03-07-2007
    JoshS
    had my bike stolen feb 14th, i was not happy, it was the day i had my class on the otherside of campus and only 20 munites to get there. my fault was putting some xt components, a psylo fork and so rims on my old haro that came off my trek project. man that was a fast bike. what made me mad was the night it dissapeared someone came to our complex and put flyers on all the cars, so i went to the place that the flyers were for. and the lady said they employed collge students, but they were all "good kids", then she said "but i can understand your frustration" good kids my butt.
    people have no respect for anyone else property, everyone wonders why i am paranoid about my truck, considering some guy in a parking lot i work in backed into my truck bumper. i came out and saw the dent in his car and asked what he backed into, he pointed and said that, which i though was a pole but the more i look at my bumper i con't remeber the scratches in the chrome. no real damage but he didn't even try to figure out who's car it was, if i had known at the time i would have said something, but obviously he was a bad driver, had a backup camera and sensors, heck he hit one of the sensor dead on
  • 03-07-2007
    fanghasyou
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but I think bystanders probably think that the bike belongs to the person that is cutting away at the lock. The misconception they get is that "Oh, its during the day, no one in their right mind would steal a bike, so that guy trying to cut away the lock must forgot his key/combo and thats why he's cutting away the lock" Especially with the angle grinder, its loud, everyone probably thinks a thief would never use that and conclude it must be the bike of the person cutting the lock.

And another psychologic thing, if no one else is doing anything about it, why should I. People follow the actions of the group.
  • 03-08-2007
    Karupshun
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Offtime3123
    What point are they trying to make here? I see little good that can come from this.

The extreme disregard of another fellow human being's posessions. look at the people around him no one cares, that fat biatch of a lady just lit a cigarette:madman:

I had a bike locked outside a mall in plain daylight, and when I got off work at 3pm someone had spent enought time rocking the bike back and forth so much that the rim hit the seatstay & chainstay
  • 03-08-2007
    Guyechka
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but I think bystanders probably think that the bike belongs to the person that is cutting away at the lock. The misconception they get is that "Oh, its during the day, no one in their right mind would steal a bike, so that guy trying to cut away the lock must forgot his key/combo and thats why he's cutting away the lock" Especially with the angle grinder, its loud, everyone probably thinks a thief would never use that and conclude it must be the bike of the person cutting the lock.

And another psychologic thing, if no one else is doing anything about it, why should I. People follow the actions of the group.

I was thinking the same thing. At the same time, I've had enough experience with people's blatant disregard for others to understand that, even if they were positive the dude was a thief, they still wouldn't lift a finger. What stands out is the cop car that passes by (almost hits him), and no one sticks their head out the window to question what is going on. This tells me that, if you see a bike thief in action, find the largest rock, 2X4 or lead pipe in the area and bash his brains in. Then leave without saying a word, because who really gives a damn?:rolleyes:
  • 03-08-2007
    George2
    I live in Amsterdam, notorious for it's biketheft's. I never, ever park my 'fancy' bikes in town but I wouldn't want my 1 speed city racer stolen either so I do have a few tricks to deter thiefs.

Locking up 'Amsterdam Style' is first to find something solid. A strong rack, a pole or a tree. Use one strong lock (a u-lock or a heavy-duty chainlock) to lock the frame to the solid object. If the lock is long enough then use it to lock the frontwheel as well, if not then use extra locks for both wheels.

Every bike can be stolen but the thieves will pick the one that is worth most (luckily they have limited knowledge) and is the least trouble. If your bike is (or seems) heavily locked they will pick another one. At races and events I usually ask someone to keep an eye on my bike (either someone in my party or just a random fellow biker) when I go in to register.
  • 03-08-2007
    shiggy
    There was a story in the '80s about bike thieves winching an entire full bike rack onto a flatbed truck while a crowd watched. They got away clean.
  • 03-10-2007
    Box Elder
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 4212darren
    I hate to tell you but they make cordless angle grinders. No bike is safe anymore if a thief is determined. I have an expensive bike and am worried about it every time I leave on a road trip. What's the best lock?

Quadrachain is difficult to scratch, much less damage. I have one of the originals by St.Pierre with the Italian lock and six feet of plastic wrapped chain. Over ten pounds! My second one uses the new panzer lock along with six feet of the super hardend chain. Someone went after my Scalpal a year ago and were able to easily cut a coule master locks securing long cables, and they cut through a propane hose that was tangled up in my quadrachain, as the bike set in the back of my truck. When I woke up and went outside, the bike was dangling out of the back of the truck, still being held by the quadrachain. I was able to find a tiny scratch on it. I'll include a small picture of the old St. Pierre lock.

Quote:

A really heavy duty chain is going to be absolutely the strongest thing you can hang your bike on. Bolt and chain cutters were designed to go through round sections of steel. Making the steel from strong alloys, hardening them and making the links square all contribute to making a chain too tough to cut.
    Quadrachain makes a heavy duty Nickel-Chrome-Moybdenum alloy steel chain with square links and a lock that is a large brick of hardened, forged alloy steel. The lock completely shields the shackle. It is heavy, strong and expensive; you can't cut it; your bike will be there when you get back. It weighs 4 3/4 pounds for the 2 foot length with lock and 6 1/2 pounds for the the 3 foot version. MSRP $112.46. I totally fell in love with this one, the lock feels extremely precise and looks impervious to everything.
    Kryptonite makes one that has squared links and a 1 pound 2 oz. U-Lock to tie everything together. The chain is a 3 foot long piece of four-sided "triple-heat-treated, boron manganese steel". The lock is miniature U-lock made for motorcycle security. Its shackle is 5/8" thick. It even has a warning notice on it that reads, "WARNING Remove lock before operating vehicle." MSRP $104.00 for the chain and lock. This lock is a pleasure to touch and to hold and actually looks cute with the little yellow U-lock on the end.