Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

How old are you?

I'm considering putting down a nice amount of cash on a 6 inch travel all mountain bike, but then I started thinking I'm almost 54 years old. Is it too much bike?

I know I'm in better shape than most Americans of any age, but when are you too old to keep pushing yourself and falling in the dirt?

So, how old are you, and how hard do you still ride?

turtles make me hot
    Go for it. I'll be 47 in May. I bought my first FS 29er in the end of 2008 and I'm constantly kicking myself for not getting better stuff earlier.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    IMHO, as age increases so does suspension travel. I'm 44 and have a bike that weighs the same as the top-o-the line bike did when I was 22; 28lbs. But now I have 6" of cush! What's not to love?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My brain says 29, my birth certificate says 47. Which one you going to believe? I have an old Raleigh hardtail for a mountain bike. Sometime I am going to get new shifters for it because I don't like the twist grips it currently has. Yeah a double squishy would be nice but I don't really NEED one. I don't ride that hard.

Terrain Sculptor
    Funny, in my 20s I rode rigid, in my 30's hardtails, in my 40's FS, in my 50's hardtails & now at 55 I'm thinking rigid SS. Yep, I ride hard and crash a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

B.Ike
    being fifty today is not the same as being fifty was a generation ago. 6 inches is not the same as it was 10 years ago. do it....
    I'm 39 and ride harder than I did at 29.

mtbr member
    I really started riding at 42. Crashed big time at 43. Took a while recovering and adding 40 additional pounds. 5 years later my son got me back to MTB. Lost most of those pounds, really enjoy it, take a ride almost any time I got free, ride hard hardtail and, as you, thinking about getting FS. I say - if you really enjoy it and feel your current setup is not enough - just go for it. When i become better than my HT, I will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm 31 and I figure I've got at least 25 more years of riding hard left.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdirt View Post
    I'm considering putting down a nice amount of cash on a 6 inch travel all mountain bike, but then I started thinking I'm almost 54 years old. Is it too much bike?

I know I'm in better shape than most Americans of any age, but when are you too old to keep pushing yourself and falling in the dirt?

38, so a spring chicken compared to you. i still ride like i did ten+ years ago, maybe harder, but with the skills and conditioning acquired it doesn't seems like it.

i have a friend that rides who's 59. just got himself a SC Nomad.

get the bike already...
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

The Original Suspect
    46 and ride totally different than I did in my twenties. I know my limits now and recovery time is quite a bit longer. I ride for fun and push myself but I have nothing to prove to anyone. Funny how things come full circle. Rigid-front suspension-full suspension-front suspension-rigid. I am about to revisit rigid again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    46 and ride totally different than I did in my twenties. I know my limits now and recovery time is quite a bit longer. I ride for fun and push myself but I have nothing to prove to anyone
    +1 to HOI ^

I'm 42, have broken bones in my 20s, and do not care to revisit... but having said that, I still push hard enough to crash spectacularly, every few years..... tuck and roll!

6", to me, says big drops and jumps, etc.... my trails do not require such.... thankfully

mtbr member
    45 here and new rider after 15yr break...started on BMX moved to MTB 26er ridgid..got my girl pregoo and now I have 3 kids and my first hardtail 29er, 6 days old and I'm loving it...cain't wait to get inshape so I can stay on it longer than 1 hour hahahaha LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    45 here and new rider after 15yr break...started on BMX moved to MTB 26er ridgid..got my girl pregoo and now I have 3 kids and my first hardtail 29er, 6 days old and I'm loving it...cain't wait to get inshape so I can stay on it longer than 1 hour hahahaha LOL
    congrats on the 6 day old !

(...and the other 3 three as well...)
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I'm 47, but don't ride anything too difficult. I ride mostly for the cardio and keep my heart in shape. I would say I'm kind of a rodie who would rather ride in the woods. You probably won't see me riding over any huge drop-off's or flying down hill at break-neck pace any time soon.

I say if you and your body are up to it, go for it.

The way I look at things, the time I invest in keeping in shape probably won't extend how long I live by much, but it will definitely increase how long I will have a good quality of life.

Now go ride something.....

mtbr member
    May 2006

Saw a guy last year at least 55 plus...he was pushing a 6 inch plus down hill sled up a trail normally ridden with a 4 inch XC bike....

He was last and working hard...he said he liked the way it went downhill made him feel safe....

He got his cardio in and had a good time....

Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    +1 to HOI ^

I'm 42, have broken bones in my 20s, and do not care to revisit... but having said that, I still push hard enough to crash spectacularly, every few years..... tuck and roll!

6", to me, says big drops and jumps, etc.... my trails do not require such.... thankfully
    30 and have a 6". I enjoy it. Speaking of recovery time... Had a what I considered a not horrible crash at one of the parks. My fractured shoulder considered horrible though. This was in Aug. Still going to PT to get range of motion back. I crashed a lot harder when I was younger racing BMX and walked away with only scratches. Age has it's dis-advantages.
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

Diggity Dog

The older I get the faster I was.

Well .... quit worrying about it and go buy and ride that bike. As I get older I seem to ride every ride like it's one of my last ...

with the following caveat ....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_VrFV5r8cs0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

... cause I don't heal as fast.

mtbr member
    I'm 47 and have a 5' FS now but I am looking to upgrade to a newer higher quality bike. I ask myself the same question but I figure it will maybe will be the last bike I will buy and want it to be the best. I ride hard now and have been hurt a few times but I don't plan to stop. I see guys way older than me blasting the trails and I see no reason why I can't do the same as I get older. So I say go for it! I doubt you will have any regrets about you descion.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I'm 67, & ride a 6.7" (modified) regular reign. Recent epic ride was gooseberry mesa in the rain.
    We did the gem trail the next day, perfect dirt & sunny to boot!
    I raced AMA off road moto events through my mid 50's, & I think mountain bikes are safer, & better for overall health, I ain't quitting any time soon.
    I'm lucky to be blessed with good genetics I guess.

Ride Instigator
    Like you, I'm 54 and planning to build another 6" bike as my current 6"er is 33lbs and I want to be in the 28lb range. I'm actually a pretty conservative rider and don't really NEED 6" of travel but I like the plush ride of a longer travel bike and a long travel bike tends to be more forgiving when you do something stupid, land a jump wrong etc. I love to ride the nasty technical stuff and drops up to about 3' as well as the fast flowy XC type stuff. As I mentioned, I consider myself a pretty conservative rideer but my exceptional bike handling skills;-) only have me slamming my ol' bod to the ground with minimum frequency, I think I had only a couple minor tumbles last year...the ones that you get up laughing about.

mtbr member
    I started at 47, now 62. I've fallen plenty on tech stuff, but never at speed. I'm not a gonzo rider, just an old fart toodling along the trails of central CT. I also have progressed to more cush with every new bike. I'm currently on a RIP9 with a 140 in front. As a change of pace, I'm building up a Vassago Bandersnatch hardtail. Something new to try on the trails and also to have as a gravel grinder for when I get old.

PS: I've ridden with a guy in his mid seventies on hilly rocky trails. He had trouble keeping up, and I'm pretty slow - but hell, he was out there!
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 02-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I am 38 now and started riding when I was 24. I started on 80mm hardtail because that is what we had back then. Now I ride a 100mm hardtail. Today I am faster and more technically competent then ever. I can ride bigger terrain now and climb hills faster as well as ride longer. Now I am more cautious than before though. I tend to ride within my limits on the descents a bit more than I used to. Back in my 20's I would ride descents with less room for mistakes or errors. Now rarely run downhill a 100% to the max, but due to skill improvements my 90% pace is better than my 100% from in my 20's. Not bike related at all, but skill related.

These days I feel no need to go 100% as I am too old and have too many responsibilities (Job, wife, kid) to deal with injury. I did a ride last month where I feel on my tailbone really badly. It hurt something fierce and there was nothing to be gained by trying to ride that bit of trail. I really should have just walked it it pissed me off that chose to ride it and hurt myself. Back in 20's injuries were sort of cool.

So it is not like I walk everything because I don't, but I am more measured in how much risk I take vs reward. Also my biggest thrills come from cleaning a technical climb rather that managing to hold on some crazy tech descent. So while my bike has not really changed my metal approach to riding is different. I still challenge myself, but only in ways where my risk of injury is less.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    48 and just dropped two grand on a FS frame and fork.

It's what we do.

bust a move
    Go for it!

I will turn 53 in March. I ride longer, harder and more often than at any time in my life. I have a road bike, a rigid SS 29er and a f/s mtb.

EDIT: By harder I mean cardio wise not as in attempting gnarly injury causing stuff like when I was young.
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 03-01-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    25!

psycho cyclo addict

4" travel full suspension works for me. I also have a ~90mm travel hard tail and rigid steel SS to mix it up. I ride anything from flowy XC up to partially insane DH trails.

You are never too old to keep pushing yourself... have at it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Interesting thread for me. I'm 65 years old and have just ordered my first mountain bike (a hardtail Cannondale Trail SL1 29er). I've been a road rider for decades, but I've found that there is a lot more interacting with nature involved in trail riding. I'm fortunate that I work part-time in a store that sells decent bikes, and my co-workers and shop guys have been very encouraging to me. I am hoping that I've matured enough to know my limitations and exhibit a modicum of common sense as I start this new sport, but that may not be worth betting on. I'll mostly be riding river bottom trails, fire road type stuff, and easier park tracks (at least at the outset), and I've already found a few other old-timers who want to ride with me.

This forum is one of the places I visit daily, now, and I can't wait for Spring to get here. As soon as the snow melts and ski season ends, I'll be out on the road and eventually onto the trails.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Will be 48 this year and bought a 5" full suspension 3 years ago. Liking it so much better than my hard tail I had previously.

mtbr member
    37 yrs old. 6" bike, don't plan on downsizing any time soon. I ride stuff now I wouldn't ride at 27, and happily, I crash less than I did back then, too!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    64 y/o and bought a TallboyC two years ago. Looking at a Pugsley fat bike now. Know your limits and have a ball.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Retro on Steroids
    Doesn't someone start one of these threads about once a year? I'm tied here with a couple of others at 67. I've ridden bikes all my adult life, starting as a road rider in 1970, and I have several FS mountain bikes. I know that I ride places where some others won't, but a modern FS bike will go over anything if you let it. I learned the skill on equipment that barely worked by comparison. With great brakes and long travel and a seat dropper, you can hardly even screw up.

I get SS, but I'm not retired. I move pianos for money, ride bikes for fun.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Doesn't someone start one of these threads about once a year? I'm tied here with a couple of others at 67. I've ridden bikes all my adult life, starting as a road rider in 1970, and I have several FS mountain bikes. I know that I ride places where some others won't, but a modern FS bike will go over anything if you let it. I learned the skill on equipment that barely worked by comparison. With great brakes and long travel and a seat dropper, you can hardly even screw up.

I bet yer just a joy to ride with = NOT!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    36 , I really beat my body up as a young guy. I'm happy that I've found this sport as well as cycling in general. I never had the time or money to really to get into anything that required money. Now that I'm done with college, I'm probably in better shape than I've ever been. I attribute this to my physical activity. I've found that any time I can make an activity benefit my body, I feel better, mentally and physically.

mtbr member
    Closer to 60 than 50.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

I like pie.
    I'm 63. IMO a six inch bike is too much bike for an old fart like yourself. I can barely handle my four inch Superlight.

Go with a hardtail!

banned
    Jan 2013
    42 - ride a 120mm fs 29r.

My regular riding partners are all in their 40s. We have guest riders from the places we work often. "Kids" in their 20s who hear us tell bike ride stories and think keeping up with us old guys oughta be easy.

We break them. Very few ask to come again even though the invite is always open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    George W. Bush still rides mountain bikes, and he is late 60s. I think you should be good.

mtbr member
    I fart dust, and I still get a kick out of my 7 inch yeti ASX.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    55 been riding mountain bikes for 24 years. Riding a C dale scalpel carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    59 and my first race in 25 years is in about a month and a half. Just took the front suspension fork off my usual bike and went back to rigid because it's more fun.

mtbr member
    34 here. Look at it this way, as you get older, you usually have more money as you advance in your career. Which is why more people drive luxury vehicles who are in their 50's/60's than in their 20's. Why should it be any different with bikes? Enjoy your hard-earned cash. By the time I'm in my 50's, I hope to be making much more change than I do right now and don't see the problem shelling that out for my favorite hobby.

Downhill fan
    37 and have been riding for almost 25 years. Started on the hard tail. I now use my FS 5" XC/Trail bike for normal duty and my 8" travel Giant Glory for Downhill/Freeride days. As long as I can climb up onto the saddle and peddle I will still be riding XC and DH.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I'm 50 just got one of those Pivot Carbon Mach 5.7s. Broke my wrist riding hard Stuoorbowl Sunday. Refused two PAs who wnated to cast it. Pull the damn splint off th night and whirlpool the hell out of it. Me thinks within 10 days will be abck at it good. Already working the heck out of the stationary.

Broke ankle riding in April. Refused to let PA put a cast on it. Exactly 4 weeks between rides.

Oldie = toughness.

Never too old.

Ask nearly 80 year old Wacoan Fred Schmid who still attends USAC (almost said NORBA..haha) Nationals and wins championships in one discipline or another.

EMBA Member
    I turn 55 in May and I ride just as hard as I ever did in terms of overall exertion, but I have no desire to lose riding time recovering from a crash, so while I do extend myself a little technically sometimes, mostly I just soak up the surroundings and enjoy another day in the saddle. I have more fun riding than I ever have before, and some of that is due to how much better the equipment is these days. I may be slower than I used to be, but the bike I ride now is vastly better than any other bike I've had previously, and it is worth every penny for the joy it is to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have just recently thought about it being my last bike too. So want to get a nice bike. Kinda weird. I can't imagine ever not riding. I don't feel old, but body feels otherwise at times. I guess at some point ill just need to adjust my riding style or wear full armor for a xc ride. Lol. Thought it was maybe midlife crisis, but then a friend said "You think you'll live to 108?"

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post

Methinks you don't "get" SS.

I ride both and find there are definitely times where SS is a better tool for the job. Like the last race I was in; turned in better lap times than geared riders 10 years younger than me...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Methinks you don't "get" SS.

I ride both and find there are definitely times where SS is a better tool for the job. Like the last race I was in; turned in better lap times than geared riders 10 years younger than me...

Uhmmmmmmm, with the utmost of respect, if anyone "gets" SS it would be R.R. Just sayin.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Uhmmmmmmm, with the utmost of respect, if anyone "gets" SS it would be R.R. Just sayin.
    The way he stated it didn't leave that impression... maybe just me

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    52 riding a hard tail. Recently retired reliving my 20s. (At least trying to)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mid 50's and I ride a HT.

IMO a FS bike lets go faster and that might not be wise when a broken hip at this age will never heal.

Man... I have injuries from my 20's that still hurt some days. I think they never heal just mostly go away.

So... do I ride as hard as in my 20's? I still scare myself once in a while if that is what you mean. I can still out ride and out backpack my two late teens boys but I think for the most part I'm 'smarter' about the whole thing. I know when to push and when not too now.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast