Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

How old are you?

I'm considering putting down a nice amount of cash on a 6 inch travel all mountain bike, but then I started thinking I'm almost 54 years old. Is it too much bike?

I know I'm in better shape than most Americans of any age, but when are you too old to keep pushing yourself and falling in the dirt?

So, how old are you, and how hard do you still ride?

turtles make me hot
    Go for it. I'll be 47 in May. I bought my first FS 29er in the end of 2008 and I'm constantly kicking myself for not getting better stuff earlier.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    IMHO, as age increases so does suspension travel. I'm 44 and have a bike that weighs the same as the top-o-the line bike did when I was 22; 28lbs. But now I have 6" of cush! What's not to love?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My brain says 29, my birth certificate says 47. Which one you going to believe? I have an old Raleigh hardtail for a mountain bike. Sometime I am going to get new shifters for it because I don't like the twist grips it currently has. Yeah a double squishy would be nice but I don't really NEED one. I don't ride that hard.

I build my own.
    Funny, in my 20s I rode rigid, in my 30's hardtails, in my 40's FS, in my 50's hardtails & now at 55 I'm thinking rigid SS. Yep, I ride hard and crash a lot.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

B.Ike
    being fifty today is not the same as being fifty was a generation ago. 6 inches is not the same as it was 10 years ago. do it....
    I'm 39 and ride harder than I did at 29.

mtbr member
    I really started riding at 42. Crashed big time at 43. Took a while recovering and adding 40 additional pounds. 5 years later my son got me back to MTB. Lost most of those pounds, really enjoy it, take a ride almost any time I got free, ride hard hardtail and, as you, thinking about getting FS. I say - if you really enjoy it and feel your current setup is not enough - just go for it. When i become better than my HT, I will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm 31 and I figure I've got at least 25 more years of riding hard left.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdirt View Post
    I'm considering putting down a nice amount of cash on a 6 inch travel all mountain bike, but then I started thinking I'm almost 54 years old. Is it too much bike?

I know I'm in better shape than most Americans of any age, but when are you too old to keep pushing yourself and falling in the dirt?

38, so a spring chicken compared to you. i still ride like i did ten+ years ago, maybe harder, but with the skills and conditioning acquired it doesn't seems like it.

i have a friend that rides who's 59. just got himself a SC Nomad.

get the bike already...
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

The Original Suspect
    46 and ride totally different than I did in my twenties. I know my limits now and recovery time is quite a bit longer. I ride for fun and push myself but I have nothing to prove to anyone. Funny how things come full circle. Rigid-front suspension-full suspension-front suspension-rigid. I am about to revisit rigid again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    46 and ride totally different than I did in my twenties. I know my limits now and recovery time is quite a bit longer. I ride for fun and push myself but I have nothing to prove to anyone
    +1 to HOI ^

I'm 42, have broken bones in my 20s, and do not care to revisit... but having said that, I still push hard enough to crash spectacularly, every few years..... tuck and roll!

6", to me, says big drops and jumps, etc.... my trails do not require such.... thankfully

mtbr member
    45 here and new rider after 15yr break...started on BMX moved to MTB 26er ridgid..got my girl pregoo and now I have 3 kids and my first hardtail 29er, 6 days old and I'm loving it...cain't wait to get inshape so I can stay on it longer than 1 hour hahahaha LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    45 here and new rider after 15yr break...started on BMX moved to MTB 26er ridgid..got my girl pregoo and now I have 3 kids and my first hardtail 29er, 6 days old and I'm loving it...cain't wait to get inshape so I can stay on it longer than 1 hour hahahaha LOL
    congrats on the 6 day old !

(...and the other 3 three as well...)
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I'm 47, but don't ride anything too difficult. I ride mostly for the cardio and keep my heart in shape. I would say I'm kind of a rodie who would rather ride in the woods. You probably won't see me riding over any huge drop-off's or flying down hill at break-neck pace any time soon.

I say if you and your body are up to it, go for it.

The way I look at things, the time I invest in keeping in shape probably won't extend how long I live by much, but it will definitely increase how long I will have a good quality of life.

Now go ride something.....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdirt View Post

Saw a guy last year at least 55 plus...he was pushing a 6 inch plus down hill sled up a trail normally ridden with a 4 inch XC bike....

He was last and working hard...he said he liked the way it went downhill made him feel safe....

He got his cardio in and had a good time....

Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    +1 to HOI ^

I'm 42, have broken bones in my 20s, and do not care to revisit... but having said that, I still push hard enough to crash spectacularly, every few years..... tuck and roll!

6", to me, says big drops and jumps, etc.... my trails do not require such.... thankfully
    30 and have a 6". I enjoy it. Speaking of recovery time... Had a what I considered a not horrible crash at one of the parks. My fractured shoulder considered horrible though. This was in Aug. Still going to PT to get range of motion back. I crashed a lot harder when I was younger racing BMX and walked away with only scratches. Age has it's dis-advantages.
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

Diggity Dog

The older I get the faster I was.

Well .... quit worrying about it and go buy and ride that bike. As I get older I seem to ride every ride like it's one of my last ...

with the following caveat ....

... cause I don't heal as fast.

mtbr member
    I'm 47 and have a 5' FS now but I am looking to upgrade to a newer higher quality bike. I ask myself the same question but I figure it will maybe will be the last bike I will buy and want it to be the best. I ride hard now and have been hurt a few times but I don't plan to stop. I see guys way older than me blasting the trails and I see no reason why I can't do the same as I get older. So I say go for it! I doubt you will have any regrets about you descion.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I'm 67, & ride a 6.7" (modified) regular reign. Recent epic ride was gooseberry mesa in the rain.
    We did the gem trail the next day, perfect dirt & sunny to boot!
    I raced AMA off road moto events through my mid 50's, & I think mountain bikes are safer, & better for overall health, I ain't quitting any time soon.
    I'm lucky to be blessed with good genetics I guess.

Ride Instigator
    Like you, I'm 54 and planning to build another 6" bike as my current 6"er is 33lbs and I want to be in the 28lb range. I'm actually a pretty conservative rider and don't really NEED 6" of travel but I like the plush ride of a longer travel bike and a long travel bike tends to be more forgiving when you do something stupid, land a jump wrong etc. I love to ride the nasty technical stuff and drops up to about 3' as well as the fast flowy XC type stuff. As I mentioned, I consider myself a pretty conservative rideer but my exceptional bike handling skills;-) only have me slamming my ol' bod to the ground with minimum frequency, I think I had only a couple minor tumbles last year...the ones that you get up laughing about.

mtbr member
    I started at 47, now 62. I've fallen plenty on tech stuff, but never at speed. I'm not a gonzo rider, just an old fart toodling along the trails of central CT. I also have progressed to more cush with every new bike. I'm currently on a RIP9 with a 140 in front. As a change of pace, I'm building up a Vassago Bandersnatch hardtail. Something new to try on the trails and also to have as a gravel grinder for when I get old.

PS: I've ridden with a guy in his mid seventies on hilly rocky trails. He had trouble keeping up, and I'm pretty slow - but hell, he was out there!
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 02-28-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I am 38 now and started riding when I was 24. I started on 80mm hardtail because that is what we had back then. Now I ride a 100mm hardtail. Today I am faster and more technically competent then ever. I can ride bigger terrain now and climb hills faster as well as ride longer. Now I am more cautious than before though. I tend to ride within my limits on the descents a bit more than I used to. Back in my 20's I would ride descents with less room for mistakes or errors. Now rarely run downhill a 100% to the max, but due to skill improvements my 90% pace is better than my 100% from in my 20's. Not bike related at all, but skill related.

These days I feel no need to go 100% as I am too old and have too many responsibilities (Job, wife, kid) to deal with injury. I did a ride last month where I feel on my tailbone really badly. It hurt something fierce and there was nothing to be gained by trying to ride that bit of trail. I really should have just walked it it pissed me off that chose to ride it and hurt myself. Back in 20's injuries were sort of cool.

So it is not like I walk everything because I don't, but I am more measured in how much risk I take vs reward. Also my biggest thrills come from cleaning a technical climb rather that managing to hold on some crazy tech descent. So while my bike has not really changed my metal approach to riding is different. I still challenge myself, but only in ways where my risk of injury is less.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    48 and just dropped two grand on a FS frame and fork.

It's what we do.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

bust a move
    Go for it!

I will turn 53 in March. I ride longer, harder and more often than at any time in my life. I have a road bike, a rigid SS 29er and a f/s mtb.

EDIT: By harder I mean cardio wise not as in attempting gnarly injury causing stuff like when I was young.
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 03-01-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    25!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast