Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

How old are you?

I'm considering putting down a nice amount of cash on a 6 inch travel all mountain bike, but then I started thinking I'm almost 54 years old. Is it too much bike?

I know I'm in better shape than most Americans of any age, but when are you too old to keep pushing yourself and falling in the dirt?

So, how old are you, and how hard do you still ride?

turtles make me hot
    Go for it. I'll be 47 in May. I bought my first FS 29er in the end of 2008 and I'm constantly kicking myself for not getting better stuff earlier.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    IMHO, as age increases so does suspension travel. I'm 44 and have a bike that weighs the same as the top-o-the line bike did when I was 22; 28lbs. But now I have 6" of cush! What's not to love?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My brain says 29, my birth certificate says 47. Which one you going to believe? I have an old Raleigh hardtail for a mountain bike. Sometime I am going to get new shifters for it because I don't like the twist grips it currently has. Yeah a double squishy would be nice but I don't really NEED one. I don't ride that hard.

Terrain Sculptor
    Funny, in my 20s I rode rigid, in my 30's hardtails, in my 40's FS, in my 50's hardtails & now at 55 I'm thinking rigid SS. Yep, I ride hard and crash a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

B.Ike
    being fifty today is not the same as being fifty was a generation ago. 6 inches is not the same as it was 10 years ago. do it....
    I'm 39 and ride harder than I did at 29.

mtbr member
    I really started riding at 42. Crashed big time at 43. Took a while recovering and adding 40 additional pounds. 5 years later my son got me back to MTB. Lost most of those pounds, really enjoy it, take a ride almost any time I got free, ride hard hardtail and, as you, thinking about getting FS. I say - if you really enjoy it and feel your current setup is not enough - just go for it. When i become better than my HT, I will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm 31 and I figure I've got at least 25 more years of riding hard left.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdirt View Post
    I'm considering putting down a nice amount of cash on a 6 inch travel all mountain bike, but then I started thinking I'm almost 54 years old. Is it too much bike?

I know I'm in better shape than most Americans of any age, but when are you too old to keep pushing yourself and falling in the dirt?

38, so a spring chicken compared to you. i still ride like i did ten+ years ago, maybe harder, but with the skills and conditioning acquired it doesn't seems like it.

i have a friend that rides who's 59. just got himself a SC Nomad.

get the bike already...
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

The Original Suspect
    46 and ride totally different than I did in my twenties. I know my limits now and recovery time is quite a bit longer. I ride for fun and push myself but I have nothing to prove to anyone. Funny how things come full circle. Rigid-front suspension-full suspension-front suspension-rigid. I am about to revisit rigid again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    46 and ride totally different than I did in my twenties. I know my limits now and recovery time is quite a bit longer. I ride for fun and push myself but I have nothing to prove to anyone
    +1 to HOI ^

I'm 42, have broken bones in my 20s, and do not care to revisit... but having said that, I still push hard enough to crash spectacularly, every few years..... tuck and roll!

6", to me, says big drops and jumps, etc.... my trails do not require such.... thankfully

mtbr member
    45 here and new rider after 15yr break...started on BMX moved to MTB 26er ridgid..got my girl pregoo and now I have 3 kids and my first hardtail 29er, 6 days old and I'm loving it...cain't wait to get inshape so I can stay on it longer than 1 hour hahahaha LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    45 here and new rider after 15yr break...started on BMX moved to MTB 26er ridgid..got my girl pregoo and now I have 3 kids and my first hardtail 29er, 6 days old and I'm loving it...cain't wait to get inshape so I can stay on it longer than 1 hour hahahaha LOL
    congrats on the 6 day old !

(...and the other 3 three as well...)
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I'm 47, but don't ride anything too difficult. I ride mostly for the cardio and keep my heart in shape. I would say I'm kind of a rodie who would rather ride in the woods. You probably won't see me riding over any huge drop-off's or flying down hill at break-neck pace any time soon.

I say if you and your body are up to it, go for it.

The way I look at things, the time I invest in keeping in shape probably won't extend how long I live by much, but it will definitely increase how long I will have a good quality of life.

Now go ride something.....

mtbr member
    May 2006

Saw a guy last year at least 55 plus...he was pushing a 6 inch plus down hill sled up a trail normally ridden with a 4 inch XC bike....

He was last and working hard...he said he liked the way it went downhill made him feel safe....

He got his cardio in and had a good time....

Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    +1 to HOI ^

I'm 42, have broken bones in my 20s, and do not care to revisit... but having said that, I still push hard enough to crash spectacularly, every few years..... tuck and roll!

6", to me, says big drops and jumps, etc.... my trails do not require such.... thankfully
    30 and have a 6". I enjoy it. Speaking of recovery time... Had a what I considered a not horrible crash at one of the parks. My fractured shoulder considered horrible though. This was in Aug. Still going to PT to get range of motion back. I crashed a lot harder when I was younger racing BMX and walked away with only scratches. Age has it's dis-advantages.
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

Diggity Dog

The older I get the faster I was.

Well .... quit worrying about it and go buy and ride that bike. As I get older I seem to ride every ride like it's one of my last ...

with the following caveat ....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_VrFV5r8cs0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

... cause I don't heal as fast.

mtbr member
    I'm 47 and have a 5' FS now but I am looking to upgrade to a newer higher quality bike. I ask myself the same question but I figure it will maybe will be the last bike I will buy and want it to be the best. I ride hard now and have been hurt a few times but I don't plan to stop. I see guys way older than me blasting the trails and I see no reason why I can't do the same as I get older. So I say go for it! I doubt you will have any regrets about you descion.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I'm 67, & ride a 6.7" (modified) regular reign. Recent epic ride was gooseberry mesa in the rain.
    We did the gem trail the next day, perfect dirt & sunny to boot!
    I raced AMA off road moto events through my mid 50's, & I think mountain bikes are safer, & better for overall health, I ain't quitting any time soon.
    I'm lucky to be blessed with good genetics I guess.

Ride Instigator
    Like you, I'm 54 and planning to build another 6" bike as my current 6"er is 33lbs and I want to be in the 28lb range. I'm actually a pretty conservative rider and don't really NEED 6" of travel but I like the plush ride of a longer travel bike and a long travel bike tends to be more forgiving when you do something stupid, land a jump wrong etc. I love to ride the nasty technical stuff and drops up to about 3' as well as the fast flowy XC type stuff. As I mentioned, I consider myself a pretty conservative rideer but my exceptional bike handling skills;-) only have me slamming my ol' bod to the ground with minimum frequency, I think I had only a couple minor tumbles last year...the ones that you get up laughing about.

mtbr member
    I started at 47, now 62. I've fallen plenty on tech stuff, but never at speed. I'm not a gonzo rider, just an old fart toodling along the trails of central CT. I also have progressed to more cush with every new bike. I'm currently on a RIP9 with a 140 in front. As a change of pace, I'm building up a Vassago Bandersnatch hardtail. Something new to try on the trails and also to have as a gravel grinder for when I get old.

PS: I've ridden with a guy in his mid seventies on hilly rocky trails. He had trouble keeping up, and I'm pretty slow - but hell, he was out there!
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 02-28-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I am 38 now and started riding when I was 24. I started on 80mm hardtail because that is what we had back then. Now I ride a 100mm hardtail. Today I am faster and more technically competent then ever. I can ride bigger terrain now and climb hills faster as well as ride longer. Now I am more cautious than before though. I tend to ride within my limits on the descents a bit more than I used to. Back in my 20's I would ride descents with less room for mistakes or errors. Now rarely run downhill a 100% to the max, but due to skill improvements my 90% pace is better than my 100% from in my 20's. Not bike related at all, but skill related.

These days I feel no need to go 100% as I am too old and have too many responsibilities (Job, wife, kid) to deal with injury. I did a ride last month where I feel on my tailbone really badly. It hurt something fierce and there was nothing to be gained by trying to ride that bit of trail. I really should have just walked it it pissed me off that chose to ride it and hurt myself. Back in 20's injuries were sort of cool.

So it is not like I walk everything because I don't, but I am more measured in how much risk I take vs reward. Also my biggest thrills come from cleaning a technical climb rather that managing to hold on some crazy tech descent. So while my bike has not really changed my metal approach to riding is different. I still challenge myself, but only in ways where my risk of injury is less.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    48 and just dropped two grand on a FS frame and fork.

It's what we do.

bust a move
    Go for it!

I will turn 53 in March. I ride longer, harder and more often than at any time in my life. I have a road bike, a rigid SS 29er and a f/s mtb.

EDIT: By harder I mean cardio wise not as in attempting gnarly injury causing stuff like when I was young.
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 03-01-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    25!

psycho cyclo addict

4" travel full suspension works for me. I also have a ~90mm travel hard tail and rigid steel SS to mix it up. I ride anything from flowy XC up to partially insane DH trails.

You are never too old to keep pushing yourself... have at it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Interesting thread for me. I'm 65 years old and have just ordered my first mountain bike (a hardtail Cannondale Trail SL1 29er). I've been a road rider for decades, but I've found that there is a lot more interacting with nature involved in trail riding. I'm fortunate that I work part-time in a store that sells decent bikes, and my co-workers and shop guys have been very encouraging to me. I am hoping that I've matured enough to know my limitations and exhibit a modicum of common sense as I start this new sport, but that may not be worth betting on. I'll mostly be riding river bottom trails, fire road type stuff, and easier park tracks (at least at the outset), and I've already found a few other old-timers who want to ride with me.

This forum is one of the places I visit daily, now, and I can't wait for Spring to get here. As soon as the snow melts and ski season ends, I'll be out on the road and eventually onto the trails.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Will be 48 this year and bought a 5" full suspension 3 years ago. Liking it so much better than my hard tail I had previously.

mtbr member
    37 yrs old. 6" bike, don't plan on downsizing any time soon. I ride stuff now I wouldn't ride at 27, and happily, I crash less than I did back then, too!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    64 y/o and bought a TallboyC two years ago. Looking at a Pugsley fat bike now. Know your limits and have a ball.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Retro on Steroids
    Doesn't someone start one of these threads about once a year? I'm tied here with a couple of others at 67. I've ridden bikes all my adult life, starting as a road rider in 1970, and I have several FS mountain bikes. I know that I ride places where some others won't, but a modern FS bike will go over anything if you let it. I learned the skill on equipment that barely worked by comparison. With great brakes and long travel and a seat dropper, you can hardly even screw up.

I get SS, but I'm not retired. I move pianos for money, ride bikes for fun.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Doesn't someone start one of these threads about once a year? I'm tied here with a couple of others at 67. I've ridden bikes all my adult life, starting as a road rider in 1970, and I have several FS mountain bikes. I know that I ride places where some others won't, but a modern FS bike will go over anything if you let it. I learned the skill on equipment that barely worked by comparison. With great brakes and long travel and a seat dropper, you can hardly even screw up.

I bet yer just a joy to ride with = NOT!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    36 , I really beat my body up as a young guy. I'm happy that I've found this sport as well as cycling in general. I never had the time or money to really to get into anything that required money. Now that I'm done with college, I'm probably in better shape than I've ever been. I attribute this to my physical activity. I've found that any time I can make an activity benefit my body, I feel better, mentally and physically.

mtbr member
    Closer to 60 than 50.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

I like pie.
    I'm 63. IMO a six inch bike is too much bike for an old fart like yourself. I can barely handle my four inch Superlight.

Go with a hardtail!

banned
    Jan 2013
    42 - ride a 120mm fs 29r.

My regular riding partners are all in their 40s. We have guest riders from the places we work often. "Kids" in their 20s who hear us tell bike ride stories and think keeping up with us old guys oughta be easy.

We break them. Very few ask to come again even though the invite is always open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    George W. Bush still rides mountain bikes, and he is late 60s. I think you should be good.

mtbr member
    I fart dust, and I still get a kick out of my 7 inch yeti ASX.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    55 been riding mountain bikes for 24 years. Riding a C dale scalpel carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    59 and my first race in 25 years is in about a month and a half. Just took the front suspension fork off my usual bike and went back to rigid because it's more fun.

mtbr member
    34 here. Look at it this way, as you get older, you usually have more money as you advance in your career. Which is why more people drive luxury vehicles who are in their 50's/60's than in their 20's. Why should it be any different with bikes? Enjoy your hard-earned cash. By the time I'm in my 50's, I hope to be making much more change than I do right now and don't see the problem shelling that out for my favorite hobby.
    Nothing is impossible to him who will try. Alexander the Great

Downhill fan
    37 and have been riding for almost 25 years. Started on the hard tail. I now use my FS 5" XC/Trail bike for normal duty and my 8" travel Giant Glory for Downhill/Freeride days. As long as I can climb up onto the saddle and peddle I will still be riding XC and DH.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I'm 50 just got one of those Pivot Carbon Mach 5.7s. Broke my wrist riding hard Stuoorbowl Sunday. Refused two PAs who wnated to cast it. Pull the damn splint off th night and whirlpool the hell out of it. Me thinks within 10 days will be abck at it good. Already working the heck out of the stationary.

Broke ankle riding in April. Refused to let PA put a cast on it. Exactly 4 weeks between rides.

Oldie = toughness.

Never too old.

Ask nearly 80 year old Wacoan Fred Schmid who still attends USAC (almost said NORBA..haha) Nationals and wins championships in one discipline or another.

EMBA Member
    I turn 55 in May and I ride just as hard as I ever did in terms of overall exertion, but I have no desire to lose riding time recovering from a crash, so while I do extend myself a little technically sometimes, mostly I just soak up the surroundings and enjoy another day in the saddle. I have more fun riding than I ever have before, and some of that is due to how much better the equipment is these days. I may be slower than I used to be, but the bike I ride now is vastly better than any other bike I've had previously, and it is worth every penny for the joy it is to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have just recently thought about it being my last bike too. So want to get a nice bike. Kinda weird. I can't imagine ever not riding. I don't feel old, but body feels otherwise at times. I guess at some point ill just need to adjust my riding style or wear full armor for a xc ride. Lol. Thought it was maybe midlife crisis, but then a friend said "You think you'll live to 108?"

psycho cyclo addict

Methinks you don't "get" SS.

I ride both and find there are definitely times where SS is a better tool for the job. Like the last race I was in; turned in better lap times than geared riders 10 years younger than me...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post

I ride both and find there are definitely times where SS is a better tool for the job. Like the last race I was in; turned in better lap times than geared riders 10 years younger than me...

Uhmmmmmmm, with the utmost of respect, if anyone "gets" SS it would be R.R. Just sayin.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Uhmmmmmmm, with the utmost of respect, if anyone "gets" SS it would be R.R. Just sayin.
    The way he stated it didn't leave that impression... maybe just me

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    52 riding a hard tail. Recently retired reliving my 20s. (At least trying to)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mid 50's and I ride a HT.

IMO a FS bike lets go faster and that might not be wise when a broken hip at this age will never heal.

Man... I have injuries from my 20's that still hurt some days. I think they never heal just mostly go away.

So... do I ride as hard as in my 20's? I still scare myself once in a while if that is what you mean. I can still out ride and out backpack my two late teens boys but I think for the most part I'm 'smarter' about the whole thing. I know when to push and when not too now.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just turned 46 last month. Switched from a hard tail to a full suspension, 6' less than a year ago and just love the bike and the great ride on full susp. Highly recommend it.
    Best of luck with your decision.

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i am 50. Have a 5" travel fs, and just bought 9zero7 fatty yesterday. It is more suited to my style(slow and steady) My wife just said today i should keep fs for my son. It was up for sale.
    I love her

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Turning 40. I need higher handlebars because I'm not as flexible as I used to be. Otherwise my bike hasn't changed much.

We don't heal as fast as we age, so I am a little more cautious on technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    And here I was wondering if I was at the upper end of the age spectrum for mountain biking. Just turned 31 a little over a week ago.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I am 42 and been riding dirt since I was 35. My logic is this: As long as I can toss one leg over the bike and pedal - I plan to ride. I plan to ride as long as the good Lord gives me the ability and strength to do it.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member

Re: How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Prosapia View Post
    And here I was wondering if I was at the upper end of the age spectrum for mountain biking. Just turned 31 a little over a week ago.
    Me too. I'm 33. Must be us old BMXer guys getting older...

AZ
    banned
    53 yo, 6" is the new 4". Go for it.

mtbr member
    Turned 61 exactly 1 week ago. I ride with people ranging in age from 25 to 55 years of age, and can hold my own. Until breaking my collarbone four years ago, my riding style was fearless and aggressive. After the injury, this old guy seldom leaves the ground. I still love riding hard, but pace myself better, and "pick my spots" to pass the young guns (I still do pass them - I just pick when). For me, it's more about being outdoors, riding well, and enjoying life.
    - Ride on,
    George
    George Wong

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. Improved suspensions with less pedal bob, so why not go with more travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Older than most and younger than a few.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    54, started riding 3 years ago, now ride a Superfly AL hardtail, and have never been in better shape in my life.

Rode my first race last summer -- figured it was something I wanted to do once so I could say I did it and that would be it. I sucked at it but had a blast. I came in 14th out of 16. The winners were all in their late 60's early 70's I'd guess.

I plan to do three races this summer. My skills are a lot better (thanks to help from another "old" guy), and and strength is continuing to improve slowly. I would like to place in the top 5 once. Probably won't happen, but no harm in trying.

So go for it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

How old are you?

40 this year. Hoping I have another 30 years before I get really slow.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

It'd be hard to say what is too much bike for someone. If you can afford it, get it, ride the Sh!t out of it.

I'll be 52 next month, been riding for a little less than two years. Just got my first full squishy (niner WFO), a while back and it seems like I ride harder every time I ride. (c;

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

Perpetual Hack
    Almost 49, been riding dirt since I was 5.
    Riding a 170mm do-it-all bike, but looking to add on a fulll on DH bike for this year.

Go for it.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    35 and my kidneys and lower back go to bed dreaming of the day I buy a FS! Currently riding a 7yo 26" HT!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Older than most and younger than a few.
    Now don't be coy.

I like pie.
    If yer lucky and smart, you'll end up being an old fart who rides...

So many give it up at 39 or 40, because they decide to get old-not on purpose, but becase they let it happen.

This from an old guy who started mtn biking at age 42, 20 years age. Old ain't so bad for a number of good reasons.

Retro on Steroids

SS=Social Security.

mtbr member
    Turned 50 a couple of months ago. Just replaced my original (2001) 4" Tracer with a newer 2010 Tracer VP. Never imagined a 6" bike could climb better than the 4" but man am I happy. I thought about going to a hard tail (Money) but I was afraid it might cause problems with my back. So glad I found a newer Tracer that I could afford.

Ride Instigator
    Old enough to know better, too young to care.

psycho cyclo addict

How old are you?

SS=Social Security.
    Utter and complete nonsense. Chain slap from riding geared bikes appears to be affecting you in a negative way. We already covered racing, how about endurance...

The 2011 Tour Divide Ride (through 2,745 miles of the Continental Divide in the US and Canada) had a 2nd place single speed finisher. http://www.mountainflyermagazine.com...st-2-of-3.html

If that's what retirement on Social Security looks like, then I'll take it 20+ years early.

eDub
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    24. Riding 6" FS. Going by the trend of this thread, I'll need to be riding something like a 20" FS in a few decades. Sweeet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ored View Post
    24. Riding 6" FS. Going by the trend of this thread, I'll need to be riding something like a 20" FS in a few decades. Sweeet.
    The usually have motors along with that much travel. But I guarantee that if you pick the right terrain, you will get a workout even if the 2 wheeler has an engine.

Me Worry?
    Turned 46 today. Celebrating with a group ride. Still riding my '96 Litespeed Hiwassee hard tail.

mtbr member
    I'm 45, got into mtbiking a long time ago. Got interested in trying something different in the early 80's when I was getting burned out of bmx and saw an article about Brian Skinner's Skinner descender. Played around with some 24" bmx cruisers a while, ended up eventually getting a late 80's Cannondale for my first real mtbike. Went through a few full suspension bikes, really liked an intense tracer I had once, but have been back on hardtails for the last 10 years, have a full aluminum ellsworth 26" enlightenment and a focus raven 29er right now. I've just always been on bikes and motorcycles as long as I can remember.

mtbr member
    I'm 50 and ride both mountain and road. I"ve ran into a certain Ex President on the trails and he's in his 60's. See a husband and wife in their 70's still hitting the trails, though they do walk some of the more technical sections.

Point is, you're not too old.

Retro on Steroids
    Utter and complete nonsense. Chain slap from riding geared bikes appears to be affecting you in a negative way. We already covered racing, how about endurance...
    Let me explain my use of the term "SS." It had nothing to do with single speed cycling, which of course I have done, nor did it have anything to do with elite German troops in WW II.

I'm 67 years old and collecting SOCIAL SECURITY, which of course I have paid into all my life. In spite of this meager stipend, I continue to work at my chosen profession, which is the moving of pianos. Get that? I'm 67 years old, and in the last week I moved something like 15 pianos. Like to see you move ONE. Piano moving pays about $75/hr, which is why I continue to do it and I have no plans to retire. I hope this is sufficient explanation for the term "SS." (Another common use of the abbreviation is "Selective Service," or the draft, and yes, I did that also. In 1966. E-5, Honorable Discharge.)

I apologize for the derail here, but sometimes you gotta use a Louisville Slugger to get the mule's attention.

psycho cyclo addict

How old are you?

Let me explain my use of the term "SS." It had nothing to do with single speed cycling, which of course I have done, nor did it have anything to do with elite German troops in WW II.

I'm 67 years old and collecting SOCIAL SECURITY, which of course I have paid into all my life. In spite of this meager stipend, I continue to work at my chosen profession, which is the moving of pianos. Get that? I'm 67 years old, and in the last week I moved something like 15 pianos. Like to see you move ONE. Piano moving pays about $75/hr, which is why I continue to do it and I have no plans to retire. I hope this is sufficient explanation for the term "SS." (Another common use of the abbreviation is "Selective Service," or the draft, and yes, I did that also. In 1966. E-5, Honorable Discharge.)

I apologize for the derail here, but sometimes you gotta use a Louisville Slugger to get the mule's attention.
    Ahhh sooo, now I "get" it

First non-bike related term that comes to mind for me when I hear SS Is Secret Service...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Hey Folks,

I turn 63 this year and this is my latest "Rider Improvement Project":

Regarding bikes I don't believe there is such a thing as "too much bike". That said there is always the "horses for courses" issue so I have 5 which run the gambit from unicycle to DH rig.

IMHO, if you're asking the question: "when are you too old to keep pushing yourself and falling in the dirt?" then you have an attitude issue rather an age problem.

Have fun however you get dirty!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

meow meow
    21. ill ride tip i cant. if you are up for it why not?

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I turn 59 next month.

How old will you be in 10 years if you do not buy the bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    41 and started mountain biking 4 years ago. This sport has added life to my years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    31 here....sure hope I can still be riding hard in 25 years. Thats awesome.

Terrain Sculptor
    I gotta tell this story. My riding friend Don (79) and his wife, Anne (75) are part of a team that participates in a local "Ski to Sea" race. It consists of a ride to the top of the lift and then a run to the top of the mountain with your skis on your shoulder. Then downhill skiing, tag off to a XC skier, then Downhill MTB, XC MTB, a half marathon, then an ocean kayak paddle of about 5 miles.

The year before last the team was short their XC rider. I offered to ride for them. I wasn't allowed. I was too young by 7 years at 53. The youngest member on the team was 60 & they usually finish in the top 10. Don does the downhill skiing & Anne rides downhill MTB. Don wears a colostomy bag.

Too old? Pffft... there's no such thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Quiet Professional
    34 but feel 60. I had a parachuting accident several years ago that fractured 3 vertebrate then some other injuries while down range. A day does not go by that I am not in pain. I put on about 100 lbs since then and using a bike to try and get back in shape. Hopefully loosing the weight will help with the pain. I ride a 6" giant reign and it helps a lot.

mtbr member
    5-0. Nice to see I've got company.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosapia View Post
    You've nearly reached your peak, no need to rub it in sonny!

Blocked +rep attempt, somebody needs to step in here for me!
    Last edited by J.B. Weld; 03-04-2013 at 08:05 AM.

dwt
    mtbr member

How old are you?

I still have an old school 26'er SS fully rigid built up last century. That adds up to a lot of SS riding time. What I like most about it is that it is sub 20 lbs. I like climbing gnarly hills standing as a challenge. What I like least is spinning out. What a waste of time that is. Because of the spinning out problem. I built up a 1x9 HT which is also pretty simple and does not spin out. It is 5 lbs heavier, but IMO a more efficient ride most of the time.

Edit: I'm 62 and ride with a posse of guys ranging from age 55-65. My main ride is a 5" travel 27.5"; two are on 29"; two are on 26".all dual sus. We did Moab together 4 years ago. Sedona next destination. 10 years go, we won the 40+ age group @ 24 hours of Great Glen in NH.
    We are as old as we feel. I feel old when the 55 yr old cleans my clock on climbs. I feel inadequate when the 65 yr. old cleans technical stuff I dab on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dwt; 03-04-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: additional info
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    you are never too old. If you still feel capable of doing it then why not carry on??

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Go for it! I got back into riding at 52 with a comfort bike that I put 6500 miles on. Last September plunked down 1500 for Salsa Vaya that I love. Gone clipless and this summer going touring. Love riding and everthing about it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    54 years young. 2013 #1 ranked 50+ USAC DH, 40+ VT State DH Champion, 3rd Place 40+ USAC Eastern DH Regionals. Just ordered an 2013 Intense M9 and starting an enduro career with a 2013 Intense Carbine 275.

Don't ever let age hold you back !!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wow! I'm impressed by all of the posts and don't feel like such an old timer anymore. I'm going to go ahead and get a new bike. I figure i deserve it. Now the fun of deciding what to get. There are several demo days coming up for Pivot, Santa Cruz, and Turner. I'll probably drive myself crazy over analyzing the decision.

Thanks for all of the positive posts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As I have gotten older (46) I have needed to adjust my rides. Built up a hardtail, dumped the front derailer...realized I didnt need it on my FS so I dumped that front derailer and now I am riding the climbs faster and more agresively. Also, it is important to watch your limits (vs people who are younger). That way they can see that some tecnical climbs and descents are doable when you pass them : ).

mtbr member
    21, and I feel so young with all of the more seasoned riders here. Been riding for about 10 years and hope to ride for many many more!

mtbr member

Re: How old are you?

Today I rode with a 57 y/o downhiller today. Crazy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    42... but I know a guy who's 69 and rides such a bike. Ride what ya want. Huck if ya want. Live while ya can

No Stranger to danger....
    A very mature and sensible 37
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    It's not how old you are that matters. What matters is how able and willing you are to keep using your body. Some of us keep going on good genes, some on pure will. I'm mostly good genes.

I recall a ride once where I saw an old guy walking on the paved portion of the trail head. He had a cane, one arm in a sling, a big brace on one leg, he could barely walk. When I returned 90 min later, he was a couple of hundred yards along, still going. I wanted to hug the guy. He was pure will.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey Guys -

I think the key is to keep moving. My parents are early 80's and they do something like 40 laps a day in their pool. My dad and I are business partners. He is still sharp as a whip. Blows me away sometimes. We design and manufacture electronic gizmos, the other day we get a cold call about a 12+ year old project. My dad just starts going - ya the current was 2.5 amps - blah - blah - blah.

Several of my dad's friends have retired and then sit on their butts. It is amazing to see how fast they faded away.....

Keep moving and keep your mind active!

Trail Addict
    28 here, and the wife is 30. Biking is a great stress reliever for the both of us. Never worry about age...just do it cus you love it and its awesome.
    #JdubGriff
    KHS Comp St Hybrid

mtbr member
    I'm 32. I have never been an all-mountain or jumping rider. I like road and XC. I ride 'hard' in terms of effort (for me). Sometimes that means I'm doing a 35 mile ride, sometimes it means I'm barely pushing out a 10 mile ride (which is more common lately as I haven't ridden much in the past two years). Life is returning to normal now though (after my kid coming along) and I'm able to ride more, and more consistently.
    :wq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0