Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How old are you?

9K views 143 replies 115 participants last post by  plugp7 
#1 ·
I'm considering putting down a nice amount of cash on a 6 inch travel all mountain bike, but then I started thinking I'm almost 54 years old. Is it too much bike?

I know I'm in better shape than most Americans of any age, but when are you too old to keep pushing yourself and falling in the dirt?

So, how old are you, and how hard do you still ride?

#120 ·
Turned 55 in July and retired after 38 years in the Canadian Army and RCAF. We moved to Cumberland, BC, a mountain-bike destination on Vancouver Island. I have been riding my 5 Spot a poop load and slowly getting to know this amazing trail network. The fun gauge goes to 11 here.

#126 ·
I started riding at 34 when I had to leave my job due to my multiple sclerosis messing with my coordination and all that. I was depressed and just decided to get a bike from WalMart...I fell in love with trails and quickly upgraded to more awesome of a bike. I can't
go as fast anymore or for long times and at now 38 I probably move tons slower than any 50's 60's....hell 70 and 80 year olds.

I say if you are able and willing....just get the bike you want and ride as well as you can. who cares about age.... I'mm riding as long as my body can fight this ****ing crap I have.

#127 ·
I'm 60, and getting ready to put a large chunk of change down on a new ride. I still push myself to my limit and ride all the stuff I was riding 15 years ago, albeit not as aggressively as I once did. I try to remember that while I'm not as fast as I was 10 years ago, I am faster than I'll be 10 years from now, so I make sure I enjoy every minute I'm on the bike.

#128 ·
I got back into mountain biking this year, aged 50.

At first I was gasping for breath after every hill, but I have slowly improved over the Summer, and it is definitely the best thing I have ever done.

Sometimes I go out on my own, sometimes with friends. Either way I have a great time.

#129 ·
Mostly older people here, I was expecting more younger people.

18 here. Started road biking ~3 years ago. Road a ton for two years and got pretty fast, did many centuries with 10K+ ft climbing. But then I just got tired of it.

Stopped riding after that, no exercise at all for about a year. Lost ALL my fitness, gained 25 lbs(~20% of my body weight :eekster:).

Finally I couple months ago, I said enough was enough and bought a mountain bike for my birthday. I have put ~160 miles on the bike over the last 2 months, not much but I'm happy to just be riding again.

Also going to start road riding again to increase my endurance, just gotta get my bike fixed up.

#133 ·
I hate the "you're too old to do that" statement. I say who cares how old you are if you can physically do it and have the desire, then go ahead and experience it.

It's riding a bike....its for everyone.
My problem is the stuff I couldn't do when I was younger, due to lack of inborn talent and/or patience to practice. At the age I am now learning that **** could be hazardous to my health. Examples: landing a gap jump, bunny hopping with flat pedals, long wheelies and manuals. For that matter, doing anything vertical with flat pedals. If you didn't grow up riding BMX, chances are that most stunts and tricks, are out of reach, you balding, grey haired piece o' shyte

#134 ·
Maybe all the old guys are answering this or what? Im 56, and just got into it 2 years ago foe excercise. Now I ride my Novara Safari REI touring bike EVERYWHERE. Im messing around in Nepal for the winter, but when I get home in MAy, I am planning to build a Surly Troll from the frame up. I think It will cost like $1500 by the time I am finished. Biking changed my life

#135 ·
58. I ride a 6" bike. I was 53 when I made the purchase. 56 when I got the warranty replacement. I usually don't do more than shoulder high jumps although I did go off the big GLC drop at Whistler this year. The only downside to the 6 inch bike is they climb slower than the snappier short travel bikes. More fun riding down the hill though and I ride for fun. 6" 26er or maybe 5" 27.5 are sweet bikes.

#136 ·
39, had my bike for just over a year. rode BMX when I was a kid and have had mountain bikes in the past but primarily used them for around town transport or the occasional ride to and from the local pub. Recovering trail runner who's knees/ankles/hips etc... ended that career early. MTB doesn't seem to bother the legs and going fast is much more fun than maintaining a slow pace to try and get through 4-5 hour 20+ mile runs...

#137 ·
I am 60 in a month, and have been riding an Intense Carbine SL for just over a year. It is equipped with a Fox Talas 32 (150mm/120mm) fork, on 150 mm most of the time except when climbing up long slopes. The back end travel I increased from 4.75" to 5.25". With a KS LEV adjustable seat post and flat pedals, the bike weighs in at 12 kg (26.4 pounds). A carbon frame helped keep the weight down, which was important to help compensate for low testosterone :D

I've had my share of spills, OTB's and downhill crashes (see album in profile), but I haven't slowed down, and don't intend to. The consequences of being inactive are more worrisome. I spent $6,000 on a bike, good for years of activity, weight loss (3" off my waist in a year), improved fitness, etc. The bike was expensive, but that money could be consumed in less than an hour in a hospital.

#139 ·
I lived BMX as a kid in the 80's and as a young adult moved on to mountain bikes circa 1991. I did a lot of mountain biking until 1999, then I started my business and ten years without bikes just sort of blew by. I picked up a cheap bike 4 years ago to "get back into it". I stumbled across my old road bike that I sold years ago, got it back, picked up a Specialized Epic last summer and did a 29er build with parts off my original Bikes Direct bike. I'll be 43 in June and aside from some arthritis I feel better than I have in a long time.

There's a certain look of enjoyment I see common to the young guys faces and the older ones that largely renders age irrelevant.

#140 ·
I'm 62 and have been mountain bike riding since I was 61.

After a lot of years on and off road bikes I decided to try mountain biking. I am really liking it and try to ride as much as I can.

I'd say the biggest difference is how technical mountain biking is compared to road biking.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.