mtbr member
    May 2016

How old of a used bike is too old for a casual rider?

Iím looking to buy a used bike to replace my 2003 Stumpjumper FSR. These days I donít get to ride it much, so itís hard to justify replacing it and spending a lot of money, but itís really starting to show its age. Iíd prefer to spend less than $1000. but thatís hard to find. I can find bikes 5 or 6 years old for around $1000. To get some around 3 years old I need to spend around $1500.

Iím not into gnarly downhills, so I donít need a long travel rig. I would like something a little slacker to make the mellow downhills I do more fun, but not so much that it hampers handling on flats and uphills. I donít think I want a 29er because Iím 5í7Ē. 27.5s would be nice, but Iím not set on them. I think Iíd be fine with 26. Mostly looking for something thatís going to be nicer and more reliable than my 2003.

Is a 2012ish worth buying (particularly given that Iím a casual rider)? What would I be getting for $500 more? Any recommended models?

mtbr member
    Check out the bike parks like Mountain Creek and Blue Mountain at the end of the season. You can get some great deals on the bikes they sell off at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't go too far enough
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shmerham View Post
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Iím looking to buy a used bike to replace my 2003 Stumpjumper FSR. These days I donít get to ride it much, so itís hard to justify replacing it and spending a lot of money, but itís really starting to show its age.
    "it's really starting to show it's age"

Do you mean maintenance is getting out of hand, or that it doesn't look like something you want people to see you on?

If it's the former, people keep saying 26ers are going crazy cheap. Not seeing it here, unfortunately, but I'd go ahead and grab one that's a little more recent if that's the deal.

If it's the latter, let style be your guide, who cares about the price.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    "it's really starting to show it's age"

Do you mean maintenance is getting out of hand, or that it doesn't look like something you want people to see you on?

If it's the former, people keep saying 26ers are going crazy cheap. Not seeing it here, unfortunately, but I'd go ahead and grab one that's a little more recent if that's the deal.

If it's the latter, let style be your guide, who cares about the price.
    definitely the former. I'm old and I have kids. I don't even remember what style is.

mtbr member
    You can still find some decent new hardtails for around 1K. Diamond back makes some, bkesdirect has some. The problem with buying used is that you should figure on spending a few hundred to get it checked out and tuned up. It will need a suspension tune, new cables, a brake bleed if hydros.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Take a look at what is available on Pinkbike.com clasifieds, you may find something that suits your fancy: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?category=75

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

High Desert MTBer
    definitely the former. I'm old and I have kids. I don't even remember what style is.
    My man! I am old and have grandkids, but I like something stylish! Don't sell yourself short!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I wouldn't mess with a used bike at all.

$1000 buys you one hell of a new hard tail these days, and at 5' 7" you would be on a small for most companies, which is good because smalls last a good while at closeout prices.

$1000 gets you in to a good 1x drivetrain, thru axles, hydro brakes, and some really decent forks.

Marin Nail Trail 6 LE Mountain Bike - 2017 Performance Exclusive

Diamondback Overdrive Comp 27.5 Mountain Bike - 2017

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There's nothing at all wrong with picking up a 5 or 6 year old used bike in good shape.
    I'd be way more likely to do that in your price range than buy something new.
    Of course, I'm also not one that worries about style much.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I worry more about how much the bike has been used rather than the model year. If you are casual and just want something fun and reliable to ride, take your time, check the resale sites and find something that really hasn't been used. The key is to wait for that gem that someone just sat in their garage. There are plenty of 2017 bikes that have been thrashed and aren't worth your time. Look at all the wear and tear markers and find something with very little.

That makes me smart
    Plenty of good stuff out there, I mean, look at this! Only $450!

https://stockton.craigslist.org/bik/...290098930.html

*snort*
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post

*snort*
    I always thought those old Y frames looked like they would snap in half just by looking at them the wrong way.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member

*snort*

That's way too stylish
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    May 2016
    That's good to know that the usage is what's important. Here's another thing I'm wondering. Assuming both are in good condition What's a better use of $1000? A newer budget model like a giant stance or an older higher spec bike like a 2011 trek fuel 9.8? Has technology improved on lower spec builds or are you paying for newness?

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    That's way too stylish
    Well, should I offer $440, then?
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

Doesn't go too far enough
    Aug 2013

*snort*
    https://stockton.craigslist.org/bik/...290904364.html

Mint bike is very mint. Unfortunately, also crappy.

Then again, we could post for a substantial amount of time quantifying how many idiots are trying to unload junk on CL.

Then again, I think there's a lot of new junk getting unloaded right now...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's good to know that the usage is what's important. Here's another thing I'm wondering. Assuming both are in good condition What's a better use of $1000? A newer budget model like a giant stance or an older higher spec bike like a 2011 trek fuel 9.8? Has technology improved on lower spec builds or are you paying for newness?
    Personally, if I wanted suspension, I would by more likely buy an older higher level bike, but I'm also pretty comfortable working on bikes. If you're going hardtail, the newer bikes get more attractive at the price point.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Iím looking to buy a used bike to replace my 2003 Stumpjumper FSR.
    Put new tires on, 750mm bars, shorter stem and get the fork and shock serviced. I have a few bikes that get ridden regularly, 2004 Enduro, 2004 Enduro SX, and 2006 Enduro, They've all pretty much got the same drivetrain, cockpit and tires now.
    Unless if course there is something terminally wrong with your bike. But I'm not sure how fond of going from a decent full suspension bike to a hardtail I would be. Depends on your trails.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Assuming both are in good condition What's a better use of $1000? A newer budget model like a giant stance or an older higher spec bike like a 2011 trek fuel 9.8? Has technology improved on lower spec builds or are you paying for newness?
    For $1100, and only looking for one night on my local craigslist, I got a two year old aluminum 29er hardtail with an excellent, well maintained, recent/high end race fork and like-new carbon wheels from a racer, as well as nice new XT brakes. The wheels and fork are the two main big ticket items besides the frame, and I could have parted out the bike for more than I bought it for. I changed out the drivetrain because he had put on an old 9 speed XTR rear derailleur (max 34 rear cog) and 11-34 cassette, which is too limited for a 1x drivetrain, and I have a thing for 170 narrow Q cranks that would require a crankset change on almost any bike, new or used, in my size. But that enabled me to have a completely new drivetrain on the used bike, making it close to a new bike.

Basically, used will get you the most bike for your money if you know what you are looking at.

Co Springs
    I say go new with what you can afford.
    At close to $1000 for a used bike (unless a good deal via a personal friend you know cared for/maintained the bike) you are otherwise taking a chance or multiple chances on things that may need work and money thrown in there beyond what you spend to get it.
    Lots of bike shops have good warranty and free 1 year check or tune up's etc... and as others have said, you can get an awesome bike for either side of $800 to $1000.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:43 AM.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Suspension at that budget you should be looking hard at used bikes.

At $1000 for a hard tail it is a more interesting choice, especially as you get into internet retailers trying to get rid of stock, e.g., Labor Day Weekend Sale. Check out JensonuSA this weekend and see what a $1000 gets you in a hard tail on sale. If you see something that suits your fancy then you get the bonus of a warranty and a retailer that has good customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Twice, I have have bought 5 year old bikes that were barely used, with high quality components. I couldn't have touched that kind of quality for $1000 new. Yes, bike geometry seems to keep improving, but it's incremental - people were riding tough trails on top notch bikes in 2012!

I'd check Pinkbike in your area.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Well as an update (in case anyone reads this in the future) I found a new Marin Hawk Hill for $1200 at a local shop's Labor Day sale. It comes with 2 years of service.

It was fun searching for used bike deals but I was kinda obsessed with it. The marin fit me well and was good enough for me and the price was palatable.