Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

How often do you replace your chain???

Sorry if this has been already posted.

I purchased a new bike 6 months ago and has a HG53 Shimano chain on it. Non-zinc plated. I have 500 miles on the chain. I used dry lube after each ride but this chain makes noise under stress. The chain is a piece of crap.

I haven't checked if its stretched but how often do you replace your chain on a MTB? 500/1000 miles?

Will it make a difference?

I just purchased a 7701 XTR Chain and need to put it on.

What could go wrong ...
    if you say the original chain is a poc ... and you have a new chain

replace it
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

What could go wrong ...
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I replace it when it breaks

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by JGill
    I replace it when it breaks
    if that was the case, I'd never replace chains
    I replace it when it 'stretches' to 12 1/16" or more
    Honestly... ahh I give up

PONCHO
    Feb 2005
    Everyother month. I'm a maintenance nazi though. And I ride a single speed so findin bmx chains for cheap is not hard at all.

mtbr member
    well mine was 4 months old and I just broke it so I guess I change mine 4 months....LOL...

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerod87
    Sorry if this has been already posted.

I purchased a new bike 6 months ago and has a HG53 Shimano chain on it. Non-zinc plated. I have 500 miles on the chain. I used dry lube after each ride but this chain makes noise under stress. The chain is a piece of crap.

I haven't checked if its stretched but how often do you replace your chain on a MTB? 500/1000 miles?

Will it make a difference?

I just purchased a 7701 XTR Chain and need to put it on.
    Sounds like your chain lube is crap if you have to lube every ride and your chain still makes noise. Try a real chain lube that works for the conditions you ride in.

I replace my chain when the "stretch" equals 12 1/16" pin to pin

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i have been told to replace mine every 1500-2000km but it depends on if ur riding in mud or dust or whatever

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Sounds like your chain lube is crap if you have to lube every ride and your chain still makes noise. Try a real chain lube that works for the conditions you ride in.

I replace my chain when the "stretch" equals 12 1/16" pin to pin

To all thanks for the comments.

I've been using white lightening.I saw on another thread using chain saw bar oil.(it might have been you that said this)

Any recommendations for lube? I ride in Florida where its pretty dry this time of year.

MTB B'dos
    Ditto on this one except I do 24 1/16", then the chain goes into the used parts bin for the beater or as an emergency replacement. Normally takes me about 1k miles to get that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    if that was the case, I'd never replace chains
    I replace it when it 'stretches' to 12 1/16" or more
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

I've been using white lightening.I saw on another thread using chain saw bar oil.(it might have been you that said this)

Any recommendations for lube? I ride in Florida where its pretty dry this time of year.
    Chain-L. Been using it for over a year with terrific results in the desert. I'm getting about 3X more time between lubes than when using Prolink, or anything else for that matter.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member

I've been using Rock N Roll Extreme with great results.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    ... then the chain goes into the used parts bin....
    you can also make some jewelery with it.
    My nephews thought the bracelets I made for them were really cool and tough lookin
    I wear one too!

Former Bike Wrench

I use a biodegradable Bar and Chain lube (Renewable Lubricants) in the 15w-50 formula cut 50/50 with Canola Oil. It has worked fantastically so far in the wet PNW. As good as any wet lube I have ever used. I spent a total of $15 for enough product to make 64oz of lube and share with my riding buddies. Used in moderation, wet lubes work great in dry conditions as well...better than any wax based lube IME.

If you'd rather buy a pre-made product, the Pedros Chainj, Go, or Ernesto Lube would be similar products.

mtbr member
    When it stretches.

Get the Park Tool chain wear indicator and replace when between .75 and 1.
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Run your chains right out to 1% stretch....

In dusty conditions you also have to wash your chain as well as lube it...to get the dirt out...

I would say at least 2000 km if not 3000 km would be a long run for a chain.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Get the Park Tool chain wear indicator and replace when between .75 and 1.
    No need to pay $25 for that tool...most new chains show .50 on it. .75 is 12 1/32", and 1 is 12 1/16".

I own one from my bike shop days and have done the comparisons

mtbr member

New question here.

No need to pay $25 for that tool...most new chains show .50 on it. .75 is 12 1/32", and 1 is 12 1/16".

I own one from my bike shop days and have done the comparisons
    $25

$9.95 @ Jenson

$8.99 @ eBay

Or you could get this Sette one:

$5.38

~Disc~Golf~

mtbr member
    May 2006
    $25

$9.95 @ Jenson

$8.99 @ eBay

$5.38

Get a chain checker....

Easy to use, every week or so measure the stretch, it will help you understand what is causing your chain to wear, and you can easily improve your maintance...(increase it or decrease it)....

I generally have a beer or two while I clean and fix up the bike....Since I clean and lube everything first, then measure the chain....I probably couldn't get an accurate reading without the chain checker by that time.

I use the Park tool one...

Most of the CN-7701 chains start at about .3 or .4 they quickly stretch out to somewhere around .75, then the stretch slows down I get ohhh 75% of the life of the chain from .75 to 1....

One ride can put 10% strech on a chain just depends on a what happens.

Former Bike Wrench
    $25

$9.95 @ Jenson

$8.99 @ eBay

$5.38
    Was refering to a Park CC-2

even at $6-$10 (plus shipping), it is a not needed. A simple tape measure does the exact same thing and is just as accurate.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well almost...you need it to go past 12" but your on the same thought process

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2006

even at $6-$10 (plus shipping), it is a not needed. A simple tape measure does the exact same thing and is just as accurate.
    If you can find a funcken tape measure when you need it...

Get a chain checker make your life easy.

I Have Cookies
    Lol!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Run your chains right out to 1% stretch....

In all conditions you also have to wash your chain as well as lube it...to get the dirt out...

I would say at least 2000 km if not 3000 km would be a long run for a chain.
    There, I fixed it. I usually scrub and degrease my chain once or twice a season depending on how gritty and noisy it gets. Doesn't matter whether it's wet or dusty...dirt has gritty pieces of sand, silt, and clay in it (going from larger to smaller particle sizes).

I won't spend any more than required for an HG73. Unless you got one of the XTR's on clearance. If you don't clean it from time to time, it'll get just as noisy and gritty as your old HG53. Except with the lighter, more expensive chain, it'll probably wear faster.

I found it better to learn how to maintain my bike before I bought expensive upgrade parts. But at 500 miles of use and making noise, it was probably still due. I just would not have bought an XTR (though seeing some on clearance at less than what I usually spend makes me want to buy a couple just to have as spares when it comes time to replace chains).

Best way I've seen to clean a chain is to remove it and bathe it in degreaser. I have a chain scrubber and it's not as effective as I'd like (and it's messier). A 20oz soda bottle works well for cleaning a chain.

Elitest thrill junkie

Dear god why? You can use a tape-measure for so many other things, what else can you do with a chain-checker? In the bike shop, we always used the tape-measure. Occasionally we used the rholoff tool to check cassettes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Dear god why? You can use a tape-measure for so many other things, what else can you do with a chain-checker? In the bike shop, we always used the tape-measure. Occasionally we used the rholoff tool to check cassettes.

You the man....

get a chain checker life is easy..

Bend over read a little ****en lines...in the shadows.

Former Bike Wrench
    Sounds like a personal issue...any mechanic worth a crap would have a tape measure in his tool box with all his other tools

Mine cost $3 and has both SAE and Metric on it, I've had it for over 10 years

~Disc~Golf~
    Well almost...you need it to go past 12" but your on the same thought process
    yeah, just making a point...
    But, I have enough visual acuity to determine a 16th" past the 12" mark.

FWIW, I use these and as a graphic designer, I have a few lying around (among other types), so finding one is never a problem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sounds like a personal issue...any mechanic worth a crap would have a tape measure in his tool box with all his other tools

Mine cost $3 and has both SAE and Metric on it, I've had it for over 10 years

Okay big boy

Can you measure .50 stretch versus .60 stretch...

lets see that would be 6.03 inchs versus 6.036 inches okay that is .006 inches difference right???

Ahhh something like 1/128 of an inch....I can't find that on any of my tape measures????

Hey maybe you could measure 24 inches that would be .024 of an inch about 1/32 of an inch....Just take the chain off no problem.

Look if you want to track how your chain is wearing get a chain checker it is way easier.

the test dummy
    when it starts skipping
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    when it starts skipping
    you've waited tooooo long

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    geezz some of you guys must be dam hard on your chains.. my raliegh finally broke its chain a couple months ago after 3yrs of riding......

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    geezz some of you guys must be dam hard on your chains.. my raliegh finally broke its chain a couple months ago after 3yrs of riding......
    now there's a brand you don't hear of everyday!
    pics?

mtbr member

replace chain

When it's stretched more than a 1/16 ".A good chain with good care will last longer than you think.

the test dummy
    you've waited tooooo long
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Good job!

now there's a brand you don't hear of everyday!
    pics?
    bought a 300$ raliegh in 2007 to take my mind off life etc..... used it for street riding 15+miles a day in 115* heat after my fiance broke it off with me after 8yrs... helped me loose 30lbs and 10 jean sizes... (that along with my depression meds)
    Last edited by qkenuf4u; 02-09-2010 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    bought a 300$ raliegh in 2007 to take my mind off life etc..... used it for street riding 15+miles a day in 115* heat after my fiance broke it off with me after 8yrs... helped me loose 30lbs and 10 jean sizes... (that along with my depression meds)
    Did the new chain actually work without skipping? Typically chain stretch causes wear to the cassette and chain rings, and a new chain won't seat properly, causing skipping, especially under load.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    skep?

how's this then...
    (Michael Jordan) "highdelll is the only reason I quit basketball, to play baseball, and then play basketball again ... any questions?"

- his words - not mine...

MTB B'dos

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Chain stretch is a combination of things, conditions you ride in, mileage you ride, gear ratios you like to ride, torque, do you hammer like a monster or spin like a hamster. So seriously ask yourself, what sort of mileage do you put in in a year and is it mainly road, smooth fireroad or rough trail with hard tech climbs etc. FYI I used to change my chanin 3 times a year a couple years back when riding hard, bu then again I prob did 3500 miles off roading in all kinds of weather and much.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Probably drunk right now

Huh?

Okay big boy

lets see that would be 6.03 inchs versus 6.036 inches okay that is .006 inches difference right???

Ahhh something like 1/128 of an inch....I can't find that on any of my tape measures????

Hey maybe you could measure 24 inches that would be .024 of an inch about 1/32 of an inch....Just take the chain off no problem.

Look if you want to track how your chain is wearing get a chain checker it is way easier.
    Do you track your chain stretch? It's a chain. It's a go/no go based on stretch. You really have trouble "finding" a tape measure when you need it but have no problem finding your chain checker?

I have a machinist's ruler that I've had for 20 years. It seems to work just fine for measuring. I don't see the need for a specific tool to take a measurement.

LCI #1853
    Get a ruler. 12 links of chain (e.g., 12 inner and 12 outer plates) should measure 12" center to center on the pins. When the center-to-center measurement gets to 12 1/8 inches, it's high time for a new chain. Some above advocate changing out the chain at 12 1/16", and that's cool, just a little more conservative. Once you get to 12 1/8, though, you need to check for wear to your chainring and cog set, too.

The commercial chain-checking tools work much the same way, but a ruler or tape measure is cheaper and more readilly available.
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    Chain-L. Been using it for over a year with terrific results in the desert. I'm getting about 3X more time between lubes than when using Prolink, or anything else for that matter.
    +1 for the chain L oil

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

actually its even more accurate
    the chain checkers use about 3 or 4 " of chain , that is a very small amount of stretch to measure. if youre looking at 1/16" over 12" a 3" tool is looking at .0156" . That tiny amount can very easily be shown by misstake.
    a tape measure can measure 12" or 24" and give a very accurate result and who doesnt have a ruler or tape measure? so the cost is free

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

if you cant find a tape measure , how can you find a chain checker? same rules apply
    I have one in my tool box with all my other tools

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Okay big boy

.5 vs. .6 of what?
    all you need to measure is if your chain is 1/16" longer than 12" period. if its less , youre all set. if its more you need a new chain
    BTW if youre measuring 24" you need to be under 1/8"
    a chain checker is not easier that a ruler, I would say theyre about equal, but a ruler will give a far more accurate reading

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

No good

Did the new chain actually work without skipping? Typically chain stretch causes wear to the cassette and chain rings, and a new chain won't seat properly, causing skipping, especially under load.
    lol dont know yet since i bought a FS YETI ASX to replace it..... but how things are going it may just get a new chain since im selling the YETI on pinkbike and ebay...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Do you track your chain stretch?You betcha It's a chain. It's a go/no go based on stretch. You really have trouble "finding" a tape measure when you need it but have no problem finding your chain checker?Yup chain checker only gets used at the bike stand tape mesure gets used all over the place

I have a machinist's ruler that I've had for 20 years. It seems to work just fine for measuring. I don't see the need for a specific tool to take a measurement.

So good for you....I track the chain wear and have learned to adjust my maintaince to minimize that wear...

Why well I ride an average of 7500 km/year, through the winter, I used to go through oh 5 chains in a year, now I got it down to maybe 2 or 3.....

My bike is ridden 6 out of 7 days a week, it is always ready to go...

I don't like to spend time on unneccessary maintaince and washing, so I learned when and how I should clean the bike (and chain)....

Get a chain checker learn something move on..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast