mtbr member
    Jun 2014

How often do you buy a new bike?

Hello. I'm new here. I've been riding since 2005, and, in those years, have only boughten two new bikes. When I bought my current one, I sold my previous one. Every year new bikes come out with only a few upgrades and, usually, only minor changes to the frame design.

So, how often do you buy and bike (not upgrade components, but buy a complete bike)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've bought 7 bikes in the last 2 years (2 hard tails, 1 FS, 1 road, 2 cyclocross, 1 time trial)... only have 5 of them still. I think I'm finally to the point I have the bikes I want and don't have a reason to upgrade anything I have at this point. (As a disclaimer, I first started riding bikes 2 years ago, hence all the bikes in that time frame, LOL!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've owned 7 bikes in 21 yrs.....lets see UM that's a bike every 3 yrs.

3X7 = 21 Yup got it right

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    just ordered my 2nd bike in 4 years altho this one is not a mtb. Have a 88 Mongoose road and a 94 Trek mtb. Don't ride the Trek anymore.
    , course I had a 18 yr hiatus from riding

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Been mtb for 20 years. I average a new bike every 4 years and usually update/mod the shock/fork every 2 years. Got to tell you after 4 years of bi-annual maintenance and annual overhauls my bikes are pretty clapped out.

mtbr member
    Not as often as I'd like to, but certainly more often than I need to...

meh... whatever
    whenever i see one i like. which is often.

no need to get sucked into the latest-greatest trap though. most mid to upper level bike's capabilities far surpass those of the average rider.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Hooligan
    I get a lot of used bikes, however i never get duplicates and im a firm believer in using things until they are spent. At this point I think I get about a bike a year, but once I have a bike i like it doesn't get replaced until to has to be. And even then, its usually just the broken parts that get replaced and not the whole bike. This year I got a fat bike. Last year was an ibis mojo. I have 10 bikes overall and have been riding longer than that. I guess Im net really a good example to guage yourself by.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Specialized builds their bikes out of homeless children.

addicted to chunk
    It's a bad habit, I try to concentrate on riding new trails or areas that I haven't been to before.
    I bought bikes in 2003, 2009,2011, and planning a build this year.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Lets see...

9 years I've bought two mountain bikes, built two mountain bikes, bought one frame I never built. I also bought three road bikes. Currently I own one complete single speed mountain bike, one frame I'm trying to sell, one frame that I'm keeping because it's not worth anything and one road bike I purchased this year. I'm planning to buy another mountain bike soon. That'll give me one single speed mtb, one nice geared mtb, and one nice road bike. With those, I should be set for a while. I may add a CX bike next year if I can score a good deal on a model closeout, but otherwise, I'll probably not get one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't buy new bikes anymore.. I just have upgrade plans for my bike. This year I decided to stick with 26" wheels since i bought a frame a few years ago and I want to build a fs in a few years. So this year I bought a new fork and wheels, along with a a new cassette and derailleur. I wait to find stuff cheap, I'm in no rush most of the time. My last full bike was an 06 hardrock, before that was a steel trek. I like building my bikes, and I still like 26" wheels so my upgrades are getting cheaper lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    IF custom steel hardtail frame was purchased in 2002. Trance frame around 2004. I haven't bought a complete bike in years though I plan on doing just that in 2015.

Guess you can say I buy new bikes every decade. My road bike is also ten years old with no immediate plans to replace it. I tend to just upgrade parts as they wear out. I don't break frames or haven't yet.

High Desert MTBer
    I once bought a new MTB as a complete entity, that was a birthday gift for my son in 85 or 86 I think. All the bikes I have had since then have been parts bin specials, and none the worse for that. I am guessing I have saved a bunch of money since then, and I can put the components on them that I want. Since online shopping became viable, it has become a lot easier to find deals! I only ever have 2 bikes, usually with about the same setup for the terrain I usually ride, so that way even if I have a mechanical issue with one, I can ride as normal. Like the previous poster, I will ride til I break stuff or it wears out, then I will change it. My bikes are constantly evolving! That keeps it fresh too. Always good to try out new parts.
    It's all Here. Now.

official eMpTyBRain
    Too many good deals on parts/frames to buy a complete bike anymore. I bought my last new/complete bike in 2009. It's fun to build up a frame exactly the way you want it to be. To this day, I have never seen a complete bike offered exactly how I would want it to be.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Ive bought 3 "new" bikes in 20+ years of MTBing. By the time each bike has been put to pasture, the frame is usually all that remains of the original bike.

I bought a new bike in jan of '13, the process of component upgrading/replacement is already well under way. Mind you, i am not into bling and do not upgrade just to upgrade... i replace parts that wear out, break, or are insufficient for my needs.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."