View Poll Results: How often have you broken a frame?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never broken one, but i'm a conservative rider

41 21.58%
  • i've never broken one and i find it amazing

70 36.84%
  • About one per year

9 4.74%
  • One every other year or so

20 10.53%
  • I have a doozy crash sometimes, but the bike was already old

1 0.53%
  • Less frequently than 5 year intervals

49 25.79%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mbtr member

How often do you break a frame?

I broke my 5th aluminum mountain bike frame a month ago, and I'm kinda surprised by the state of the sport. I've broken almost a frame per year of consistent riding, which just seems unacceptable. I want to believe it's just me- i'm a large guy that relies on a good sense of self-preservation; but my riding buddies seem to go through them similarly. What i've seen of carbon is even more pessimistic- I've been on 4 rides with friends on demo'ed carbon bikes, and seen 2 cracked frames. I just can't believe the mountain biking public tolerates so much broken; please show me that everyone i know is an abusive hack.

I've replaced my latest frame with a 12lb steel full suspension tank...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I broke my 5th aluminum mountain bike frame a month ago, and I'm kinda surprised by the state of the sport. I've broken almost a frame per year of consistent riding, which just seems unacceptable. I want to believe it's just me- i'm a large guy that relies on a good sense of self-preservation; but my riding buddies seem to go through them similarly. What i've seen of carbon is even more pessimistic- I've been on 4 rides with friends on demo'ed carbon bikes, and seen 2 cracked frames. I just can't believe the mountain biking public tolerates so much broken; please show me that everyone i know is an abusive hack.

Are the bike companies replacing your broken frames at no charge?

I'm more of a XC type rider and have never broken a frame. I'm not that hard on my stuff though and am not out there taking big drops or doing lots of big jumps. I do ride a lot of miles, though. Broken and gone through wheels and most every other part, but no broken frames.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Been riding since the 70's and sure have trashed some bikes, but never have broken a frame. Do see though that some models of bikes break every month.

mtbr member
    20 years and the only time I've broken a frame is running into a car while riding on the road.

I'm not sure how big "large" is (I weight ~90kg so I'm no featherweight), or how you and your buddies ride, but that certainly does seem like a heck of a lot of broken frames.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Are you saying these bikes have all just failed suddenly? No warning whatsoever?

I don't think I would have gotten past frame two if that happened to me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Pics?

mtbr member
    I ride just XC, but I'm pretty strong. I break a frame every other year. Always at the bottom bracket/right chainstay junction. I've broken steel, aluminum, and carbon frames. I've never owned a ti bike, but I doubt that material would fair any better.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

Live 2 Ride
    I have yet to break a frame.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Luckily, I've never broken one... but I'm also not a mad man like some of the younger riders.

The White Jeff W
    1 broken chainstay in 6 years riding.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just cracked my first one. I'm a clyde but don't do anything remotely crazy. Can't afford the time off or medical bills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: How often do you break a frame?

When I was a kid (1987) cracked my kuwahara bravo team pro. Funny part is I do but know how to do freestyle tricks or other stuff. Just rode it around.

Seat tube cracked straight down the relief cut.

Front Range, Colorado
    OP a little more info is needed.
    1] What frames have you broke? Manufacturer,models and years.
    2] What kind of riding do you do.
    3] What kind of terrain.
    4] How often do you ride on average per week or month.
    5] How much do you weigh.

?????
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Ride Instigator
    I broke the same Ellsworth frame 3 times in as many years...in 03, 04 and 05, they replaced all 3 times under warranty though. I switched to Santa Cruz in 05 and haven't busted a frame since...I like Santa Cruz better then Ellsworth!

It's about showing up.

The one constant factor in your frame-breaking scenario is you and your riding buds.
    I don't rattle.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    Are the bike companies replacing your broken frames at no charge?
    Yes, when i have been the original purchaser. 3 of them i bought second hand in unassembled or nearly new condition though. All failures have been cracks next to welds, or caused by pinholes in welds.

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I'm not sure how big "large" is (I weight ~90kg so I'm no featherweight), or how you and your buddies ride, but that certainly does seem like a heck of a lot of broken frames.
    I'm 6'3 and 230. Big, but i'm not going to invade Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Are you saying these bikes have all just failed suddenly? No warning whatsoever?

I don't think I would have gotten past frame two if that happened to me...
    Yep, no warning at all. JRA, or found a crack while doing a maintenance inspection, usually. When they've failed while riding i have been doing something unremarkable- tapping the brakes on some doubletrack, climbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Pics?
    It's a canfield balance.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    3] What kind of terrain.

?????
    I use them in the manner they were intended, no abuse. I've tried to pick models that suit my size and weight, and ride once or twice a week for 3 seasons.

It's starting to look like it's me and mine that are the cause; that's surprising. We're pretty average riders who have been doing this a while.

mtbr member
    Neither I nor anyone I ride with has ever broken a frame as far as I know. I did just snap a derailleur hangar for the first time though so I guess anything's possible!
    definite malingerer

Gnarly
    I cracked the downtube on my dh bike late last summer. The frame was 4 years old. I'm happy with my replacement

I never cracked an all-mtn frame
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    MTB no, though like others have mentioned I have burned up just about every other part.
    V-Brake mounts have snapped, bent and cracked bars and stems, seats, rims, spokes, hubs, skewers, etc. I used to ride aggressively-jumps, drops curbs logs rocks etc. Never with any finesse and that might have been the issue. when I used to ride lke that I rarely felt smooth but I did it because it was fun.

Now BMX, yes. Again, I would ride hard. Growing up in Detroit we had the Rouge River that flows through the city (don'tdrink from it-in fact dont touch it) but there was a trail network that followed the river. So we would take shovels rakes and wheelbarrows to move dirt and we would make our own dirt jump trails. Not like that what is around now but we had fun. and there was always somebody cracking a frame and taco-ing a rim.
    I have cracked a hutch pro street, mongoose californian and a haro master. Again not the smoothest rider when trying to get air.

Now I like flow on a nice smooth single track.

Sorry for the long reply

Dirt Junkie
    This is all you dude. I have never heard of anybody breaking that many frames unless they are a full time downhill racer. You need something burlier.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

29ers Forever
    I don't beat my bike up, but I am not always as easy on my bike as I could be.
    I am trying to break my Kmart bike but either it's too tough or I am not trying hard enough.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 200lbs, cracked the chainstay on my Stumpjumper HT. Flying down a hill, small rocky gully at the bottom and then immediately back up the hill. Some impressive G's when you start up the other side. Hit it particularly hard one time rear end caught a rock - cracked frame, pinched the back tire, broke some spokes, soiled my shorts, but stayed on the bike. I am sure I stressed the frame beyond it's design.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    3] What kind of terrain.

?????

I use them in the manner they were intended, no abuse. I've tried to pick models that suit my size and weight, and ride once or twice a week for 3 seasons.

It's starting to look like it's me and mine that are the cause; that's surprising. We're pretty average riders who have been doing this a while.
    Sorry but that's too vague of an answer for us to continue with this ridiculous thread. There are just too many variables that you leave blank. It makes me wonder if your intent is SPAM and at any moment your going to reveal the best bike out there.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Breaking frames is the ONLY way I get new bikes.
    And as a clyde, I break frames often. I even broke the frame on my SS commuter bike.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Riding 30 years, only 1 complete frame failure. Head tube seperated on a chromo frame. Among riding buddies I can recall a couple cracked aluminums, one unbonded cantiliver bosses on a carbon, bent aluminum (to be fair this was a Mantis Profloater that took a 30+ foot drop off cliffside). I am a lightweight though, about 120-135 lbs. Cracked frame was subjected to trials riding so it was trashed pretty good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast