View Poll Results: How often have you broken a frame?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never broken one, but i'm a conservative rider

41 21.69%
  • i've never broken one and i find it amazing

69 36.51%
  • About one per year

9 4.76%
  • One every other year or so

20 10.58%
  • I have a doozy crash sometimes, but the bike was already old

1 0.53%
  • Less frequently than 5 year intervals

49 25.93%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    at about 25mph there was a loud "pop" sound which resulted in this:

my worst nightmare...

I've been mtbing for 20 years steady, and though I've only had 5 frames in that time, I've never broken one. Broken bones, but not frames.... I weigh btw 215 - 230 lbs, and though I'm not hucking big drops to flat, I'm always catching air and generally mistreating my bikes. One of my frames was pretty notorious for cracking on the chainstay and/or seatstay... never broke it, but I did completely taco a wheel on a landing with that bike. Guess I'm just lucky, or need bigger mountains to ride.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Welcome back I'm glad to see you're not a deserter.
    and with a thoughtful, reasoned response too.

pity...
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    My favorite was hucking off loading docks. That works wonders for frames, forks and wheels.
    And bottom brackets. We bent the crap out of them all the time until Shimano's Octalink and ISIS BBs came out, and that just spread the bending to the cranks and pedal spindles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How often do you break a frame?

I broke 3 Ti frames and a Specialized M2 in the mid 90s. Haven't broken anything since. Back then it was all XC but I am sure plenty of those trails are now considered All Mountain or some other stupid name.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: How often do you break a frame?

Literally never in over 15 years of riding (except a Wal-Mart bmx after repeated 4ft drops to flat concrete, trying to break it for fun, when I was 285lbs). Broken everything else, but not frames, even riding rigid aluminum back in the day.

I'm sure part of it is that I'm about 185lb geared up and very light on my feet, always trying to "float" over the trail rather than plow through. The other part is the fact that my frame isn't the weak point, I've always had pedals, cranks, bars, seat posts, and rims give way before.

I'm your density
    Try as I might, I could never exercise the warranty replacement on my '89 steel Stumpy.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    6'3", 230lb - if you're strong, young, ride frequently, and hard, you're going to break frames. I broken a few including a road frame. Personally, I'm a fan of Ventana and Pivot, although I just picked up a Trance. We will see how the Giant holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What if you're 175-185# and not so strong?

You can still break frames. I broke 2 Univegas (downtube, seattube) and a SJ M2 (chainstay) in the 1990's (of course, everything from the '90's broke), and an '07 Niner MCR9 (drive side rear dropout). I think they were all mfg defects. Univega gave me an aluminum frame and $400. The big S gave me a free SJ M4 frame. Niner gave me a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    I broke 3 Ti frames and a Specialized M2 in the mid 90s. Haven't broken anything since. Back then it was all XC but I am sure plenty of those trails are now considered All Mountain or some other stupid name.
    ^^^This is funny! It describes my experience exactly (except for the Ti parts).

I have found that 180#(+/-) is the magic weight in MTBing.
    If you are heavier, you need to beef up from stock parts.
    If you are 180 and ride hard, you need to beef up.
    If you ride light, but make mistakes, you need to beef up.

...and it always seems that strengthening one part only transfers stress to a weaker part. I'd rather trash a wheel than a fork or frame, so I build my wheels not quite as strong as the rest of my bike. That didn't help the MCR9, but the engineer in me likes to think it helps.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    and with a thoughtful, reasoned response too.

pity...
    Zactly!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Loser
    I have broken a frame about every other year (or so) maybe every 3-4 years is more realistic. I don't ride super aggressively, but I do ride very technical trails and I ride a lot (3-4 times per week). Two of my breaks were manufacturing defects, but all the others I consider to be from fatigue and I'm ok with it. After 3 or 4 years I'm ready for a new bike anyway.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Been MTBing since the mid 1980s and have never broken a frame or any other component, other than a few spokes on my current '09 Spec Epic rear wheel. Still have my '88 Klein Pinnacle, which strangers and friends said would last 1-2 years at most. That bike has 10k-15k miles on it- mostly in Annadel.
    Back in the 1970's I did break one or two Webco BMX frames, but no breakage since.
    Oh... I weigh about 225 currently and while I don't "free ride", I'm not the most gentle out there.

mtbr member
    In 21 years of riding, I've broken 5 frames:
    '94 M2 Stumpy, JRA and cracked it at bb/downtube.
    '99(?) Ellsworth Sub 22, Urban riding in G.G. Park, cracked at headtube/downtube.
    '96 Fisher Y22 carbon, hucked it in a drainage ditch and it shattered like a 3 day old cake doughnut
    '02 (?) Fisher Sugar2+, I have NO idea, it just broke at shock mount.
    '04 Heckler, I got out of control on Toads and SNAP! Done for the day.....

I would say they were ALL me riding like a bull in a china shop... Oh, and I'm a 200lb rider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    22 years of 3-4x a week riding in the 170-210# range. I didn't break anything when I was heavier but I also wasn't riding more than 1-2x/week and rode heavier duty bikes like the SC Bullit and SC Heckler both with beefy parts. Since being in the 170lb range I've broken:

'04 Stumpy FSR (crash)
    '08 Santa Cruz Nomad gen 1 (cracked at pivot)
    '09 Fisher Paragon (crash)
    '10 Fisher Paragon (crash)

I lived for 20 years in very rocky conditions so broken bikes were generally from crashes resulting in twisted/dented/crushed frames but I found the better quality bikes could handle some wrecks whereas the light aluminum frames could not. Not sure what happened on the Nomad but I was doing quite a lot of jumping with it so I think it just wore out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I have found that 180#(+/-) is the magic weight in MTBing.
    If you are heavier, you need to beef up from stock parts.
    If you are 180 and ride hard, you need to beef up.
    If you ride light, but make mistakes, you need to beef up.
    -F
    I'd agree with this. If you are over 180 run slightly heavier duty parts. Over 215 and you better beef way up. Over 250 and you really need to beef way up, like DH quality wheels/bars/stem and a very stout frame if you plan on doing anything other than straight XC. "Grams" should not be in your lexicon!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I broke an aluminum Jamis frame when i was 14. Just normal XC type riding, not typical 14 year old shenanigans. Started as a hairline on the down tube and just opened up on a ride. Frame was only a year old so they replaced it, really made me question the build quality though.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RaythePedaler View Post

I'm sure part of it is that I'm about 185lb geared up and very light on my feet, always trying to "float" over the trail rather than plow through. ...
    This is what I was thinking. I don't break frames (yet), and I don't bend rims (well, rarely). When I am flying through a gnarly rock garden I use my arms and legs to take the impact, not my bike. At 210 lbs I like to think of myself as taking a 4' drop pretty gracefully.

likes bicycles
    This is a timely thread for me, seeing as I'm currently riding a Trek 69er waiting on a warranty for a cracked frame.

Since 2007, I have broken every frame I owned minus the one that was stolen (the one that got away).

2008 - cracked Gary Fisher Pirahna where seat tube and seat stay meet
    2010 - cracked V1 Transition Covert where head tube and top tube meet
    2013 - broke across the weld of V1 Transition Covert chain stay
    2014 - cracked Transition Bandit chain stay near the bottom bracket

I weigh ~200-210 lbs. and like to ride fast. I hit jumps and drops to transitions, but generally ride my bikes well within the limits that are marketed. Luckily Transition takes care of their customers.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking over some posts here I've been lucky. in the late 90s/early 2000s I broke a KHS mountain pro frame, which was replaced by KHS with a higher end model, and my brother still uses as a commuter. A few years later broke a Norco Bomber frame, which I had re welded and heat treated at a machine shop because Norco couldn't be bothered. Frame is still kicking around somewhere.

Since then, riding 4-7 days a week I've managed to break very little. A few taco wheels here and there, and an R der or two a season. No frames or forks. Though I do tend to sell off my bikes after a year or two, so they dont have time to accumulate too much abuse.
    2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross
    Sram Red
    Syncros Carbon Wheelset

2014 Lapierre ProRace 729

I am employed by a bike shop.

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I broke my 5th aluminum mountain bike frame a month ago, and I'm kinda surprised by the state of the sport. I've broken almost a frame per year of consistent riding, which just seems unacceptable. I want to believe it's just me- i'm a large guy that relies on a good sense of self-preservation; but my riding buddies seem to go through them similarly. What i've seen of carbon is even more pessimistic- I've been on 4 rides with friends on demo'ed carbon bikes, and seen 2 cracked frames. I just can't believe the mountain biking public tolerates so much broken; please show me that everyone i know is an abusive hack.

I've replaced my latest frame with a 12lb steel full suspension tank...
    I've been riding since the mid 80's (started out as just cross training for motocross),and have ridden since (including a few years racing),I've never not once ever been so hard on my equipment as to break a frame...yer doing something wrong,buying the wrong tool for the job you're asking them to do,or buying too light-weight a frame for too heavy a rider...there's only one common denominator there,the rider. IDK Probly not helpful,didn't mean any offense,but 5 frames is kinda excessive
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I destroyed 5 or 6 bmx frames in my younger days. And I have broken 3 aluminum frames and 1 steel frame in 14 years of mountain biking. Not counting the 2 I have totaled in crashes. I don't trust ***** steel (carbon fiber) on the mountain.
    I don't do drugs. I am drugs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Generally speaking most aluminum mountain bikes have a 3-5 year life span when being used by an "advanced rider" according to trek, and a few other big names.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    How often do you break a frame?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridefat1981 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	900990
    • Trek Stache
    • Giant XTC
    • BMX

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridefat1981 View Post
    I don't trust ***** steel (carbon fiber) on the mountain.
    can't say i blame you. they use that worthless trash to build f1 race car chassis and other parts that are subjected to well over 1g. not to mention extensive use in the aerospace industry, fighter and jumbo jets, motorcycle and other protective helmets, helicopters, supercar bodies, and many other high stress applications. it's an inferior material that has no place anywhere on a bicycle.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

inner peace to make peace
    Kona Lavadome steel HT 16 years, chainstay next to derailleur hanger.
    Motobecane aluminum HT about 3 years of racing, derailleur hanger.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

It's about showing up.
    7000 views and 60 frames "broken." Some big boys and hard riders. I think they are pretty durable.

12 seasons and 2 racing teams of 15-28, 1 rear triangle cracked.
    I don't rattle.

change is good
    Sep 2004

How often do you break a frame?

I've had issues with carbon fiber frames and seat posts. I now have a Pivot 429 carbon and Syntace posts. Carbon applications like with any other materials can be poorly designed. I'm built like a bull and ride like one one east coast trails hence my history of frame failures. My solution to the OP. Study the mtbr forums. There are manufacturers out there that produce produces with higher than average durability. I just made the mistake of going with a dropper post that a gut feeling told me to pass on. Now I'll probably have to ante up for a expensive post from a company that's fanatical about its reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast