• 31 to 33 pounds

22 13.41%
  • 34 to 36 pounds

7 4.27%
  • 37 pounds or more

5 3.05%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Live 2 Ride
    Yeah whatever. All I know is it feels better and easier to ride a 26 pound bike as opposed to riding the 33 pound beast I have now. Not to mention I have more fun and ride longer.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    My hardtail is 34.2 pounds before a GoPro, water bottle, pack and 180 lbs of me. I definitely have to work harder but that's good with me. Stronger legs and lungs. Great workout overall.

mtbr member

Re: How much does your bike weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Nice stable.

I don't know how much my bike weighs, but this discussion has got me curious about it.
    Many thanks

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    For a DH bike, light. AM bike average/slightly heavy. For an XC bike way too heavy.

My XC HT is 24.5. My XC FS is 26.5. I can't imagine being happy with a 32lbs bike.
    My XC bike for years was a Heckler with an AM build that tipped the scales at 33lbs, I was quite happy. That Heckler has since been retired and replaced with a Blur LTC that tips the scale at 27lbs...I'm happier now. I decided that at 55yo I was getting too old to be hauling a pig up-side a mountain!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Yeah whatever. All I know is it feels better and easier to ride a 26 pound bike as opposed to riding the 33 pound beast I have now. Not to mention I have more fun and ride longer.
    Well that's terrific but you don't have a 26lb bike do you? What you do have is a perfectly decent bike that lots of people would be happy to own. Just enjoy it. There will always be someone else with a better, lighter, faster bike than yours. Get over it.

Live 2 Ride
    Well that's terrific but you don't have a 26lb bike do you? What you do have is a perfectly decent bike that lots of people would be happy to own. Just enjoy it. There will always be someone else with a better, lighter, faster bike than yours. Get over it.
    I've had 25lb bikes. I've made terrible choices and either sold or traded them. I know I am now living in the consequences of those choices. I realize that others would love to have my bike. I'm just upset a bit that bikes are so heavy. Perhaps light bikes would be a bad thing for a guy as big as me.

Get over it? I think I will, and get out riding more often.

Big Mac

How much does your bike weigh?

Kona, you're a piece of work my man. We oughta name you diamond kona, cause yer a real fuggin gem.

Live 2 Ride
    Thanks. I try.

Hell Track
    Now you're talking Kona. I never weighed my bike but i'm sure it would be close to 30 lbs. I'm not racing so no big deal. even my road bike is considered heavy by race standards, but who cares. there are plenty of light weight bikes that i wish i could afford, but i can't so i'm happy with what i got (for now). Super light weight isn't always the best option anyhow

I build my own.
    My bike weighs 65lbs less than it did 2 years ago. Goes faster and is easier to pedal uphill.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

35 pounds. specialized myka sport disc 29" hardtail

Stoked
    Jul 2014

49 pounds. That's right. Iron horse 7.7
    Providing you with all your stealth janitorial needs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Get over it? I think I will, and get out riding more often.
    Good stuff. It can be hard to keep motivated but it helps if you can find other people to ride with. I started cycling on my own years ago but pretty soon found someone to go out with. Over the years more have joined in, some have left and there is now a group of maybe fifteen or more. Sometimes it's still just a couple of you who go out, if it's a special run it might be a big bunch, on Saturday it was my two teenage sons I took out but the point is it's easier and more fun if you can find some company.

I weighed my bike years ago and it was 28lb but I have a different bike now. It's heavier, I'd guess at around 32lb or more. I have a seat-bag full of tools etc and my wheels are not light. I use over-spec wheels as I like the reliability so my bike is not light. I'm a few stone overweight myself but I can still beat most people up a hill so who cares :0)

~ B A D A S S ~
    Light weight is highly overrated, but its one of few dick measuring substitutes there is in cycling. So it will continue.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member

Re: How much does your bike weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Light weight is highly overrated, but its one of few dick measuring substitutes there is in cycling. So it will continue.
    I wrote out a long insulting post, but instead I still take the high road and say you're absolutely wrong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    My bike is not very light and my pecker is tiny so I guess I'm stuffed? ;0)

mtbr member
    How much does your bike weigh?-10498266_10203806135726571_4921276800712504174_o.jpg

From left to right

2014 Trek Madone 7 - 16 lb 4 oz
    1995 Trek 5500 - 22 lb 6 oz

2008 Trek Fuel EX9 (26") - 29 lb 4 oz.
    2013 Cannondale F29/2 - 24 lb 12 oz.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er - 32 lb 10 oz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    I wrote out a long insulting post, but instead I still take the high road and say you're absolutely wrong

Lightweight might be less important that a lot of things, but it does have some importance.

First ride on my Madone yesterday. Beat my previous time on the same ride by 7 minutes. The 5500 is an old, heavy bike, where pedal strokes did not feel as "potent" as the Madone.
    The Madone didn't make me fast by any means, but it made me faster. I HAVE, back when I was in actual shape - gone MUCH faster on my 5500 though. Average speeds used to be never below 20, usually 21-24 mph for a 30-40 mile ride. Now, I struggle to get 16. The Madone won't magically make me a 20+mph rider again, only mileage will do that, but man, it did make a difference. Really though, all that does is make it EASIER for me to get to the same speed I used to be, which means I'm still weaker than I was then, because the bike is better.

The Cannondale, I set a PR on EVERYTHING when I rode it the second time. Not a technical trail (perfect for a hardtail!), but I was 4 minutes faster than my best time on my 32lb Fuel. (On a 1 hour, 9.5 mile quick-loop) There are a number of rooty stutters that I just have to slow down for on the hardtail though. Too much of an impact on my body at this point, and they are up hills, so I don't have the strength or energy to stand and absorb the impacts with my legs.

mtbr member
    My race hard tail is 18.7 pounds. My full suspension all mountain bike is 28.9 pounds.

I can ride just as fast uphill on the heavier bike as I can on the race bike (with the rear suspension locked out, of course). Bike weight is nothing compared to rider ability. If ten pounds can not slow me down, then it should not slow you down, especially since the percentage of weight difference of both rider and bike is much greater with my 10 pound difference than with yours.

Before I got into racing, I had an old GF Tassajara Hardtail that weighed more than 30 pounds. I still beat the roadies up paved hills on that thing.

Oh, and by the way... In case your dietician forgot to tell you, corn is a grain... Grains are essentially ALL carbohydrates. Ditch the popcorn and eat some dried fruit and nuts as a snack. And ride your bike more. In fact, adding some additional weight to it will probably help with the weight loss (more resistance = more effort = more calories burned).

ETA: If we are including "other bikes", my commuter weighs in at about 32 pounds with racks, lights, and panniers. My old GF Tassajara has been turned into a single speed and weighs in at about 26 pounds now. My road bike weighs about 17 pounds.
    Last edited by Sunyata; 08-12-2014 at 07:30 AM.
    You have to earn your downs...

mtbr member
    You're assuming weight only comes into play on straight up hill sections.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Chumba XCL with Mavic Crosstrails and Continental Trail King 2.4, front and back.

31.5 pounds.....jump anything I want and bomb the downhills. The thing is bulletproof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

When my bike weighs more than a quarter of my body weight. I want lighter. I'm a small person and need a smaller bike to handle better. When I switch I'm sure it will be amazing because I'm exerting the same force on a smaller mass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    XC race bike FS - 22 lbs ( Scalpel )
    Hardtail - 24.7 lbs ( Flash )

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Rei Miraa View Post
    When my bike weighs more than a quarter of my body weight. I want lighter. I'm a small person and need a smaller bike to handle better. When I switch I'm sure it will be amazing because I'm exerting the same force on a smaller mass.
    Using that calculation, kona! You're in luck! You are okay with a bike under 70 pounds.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

official eMpTyBRain
    25.5 pounds with Stans Crest/S-works GCs, 27.25 pounds with Stans Arch EX/Spesh Purgatory
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast