• 31 to 33 pounds

22 13.33%
  • 34 to 36 pounds

7 4.24%
  • 37 pounds or more

5 3.03%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Hell Track
    Kona, one thing i don't understand. Why do you have to hang up mtn biking in order to take up road biking? You were going to hang up mtn. biking to take up swimming a few months ago. You can do it all man

workin' it Administrator
    My bikes weighs around 1.5934073068832e+31 electrons. It is pretty average for a 1x9 rigid fat front steel bike frame ridden by a lazy moderator.
    Try this: HTFU

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

How much does your bike weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    My bikes weighs around 1.5934073068832e+31 electrons. It is pretty average for a 1x9 rigid fat front steel bike frame ridden by a lazy moderator.
    Quelle coininkadink!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Live 2 Ride
    Up the ante son!! longer rides with more intensity will show benefits. Do you challenge yourself with climbs & distance??
    All of the trails around my town are flat and mostly paved. The hills around town have no trails and are private property. I have been trying longer distances.

Dude, diet is about 75%. Don't know what you eat but if it's a ton of heavy unhealthy food then losing weight is tough. If you are 280, riding hard 4 times a week and watching what you eat pounds should be dropping off you
    I eat a sensible lunch and dinner everyday, and if I snack I eat popcorn or some similar snack. I have diabetes so I have to watch what I eat. Seems I can't lose any weight no matter how much I ride.

Great idea. Keep us updated on your road bike progress. What kind of road bike do you have? You know you would have to do like a ton more than 8-9 miles at a time.
    I don't have a road bike. Yes, I know I would have to ride more than 8 or 9 miles at a time.

Kona, one thing I don't understand. Why do you have to hang up mtn biking in order to take up road biking? You were going to hang up mtn. biking to take up swimming a few months ago. You can do it all man
    I would have to hang up mountain biking because I would need to sell the mountain bike to buy a road bike or do a trade. I can't afford a new road bike. I was looking at swimming a few months back,. turned out to be a bit expensive.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Hell Track
    You don't necessarily have to do lots of miles on a road bike. Depends on the ride and how hard you push it. I do rides less than 10 miles that are butt kickers

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Kona, popcorn provides no nutritional value. Read up on nutrition and figure out a better diet plan.

Live 2 Ride
    Popcorn is low carb. That's what counts as a diabetic. And I love popcorn.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Popcorn is low carb. That's what counts as a diabetic. And I love popcorn.
    Despite the fact that it one of the worst possible things you could choose to eat. Choices, you make them, you can die by them.

Live 2 Ride
    Actually popcorn is more better for you than other snacks such as a bag of potato chips, or sweets. Popcorn is high in fiber and low carb. Besides, I don't have a snack everyday.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Actually popcorn is more better for you than other snacks such as a bag of potato chips, or sweets. Popcorn is high in fiber and low carb. Besides, I don't have a snack everyday.
    That's all junk food. Stuff that you should not be eating if you want to lose weight.

You may feel like you're not eating much in quantity but the items that you are eating is probably not helping you lose weight and could actually be making you gain weight.

Seriously.

Look at your diet rather than your bike parts

I hate to keep at you but I really want you to not get worse and it seems like there's so much more you can do. It's going to be hard and painful and you just need to stay focused and not quit.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Better than real food? Keep kidding yourself.

Live 2 Ride
    Seriously guys? I'm saying popcorn is a better choice to snack on than other snack foods. So you are saying to quit snacking all together? I have a dietician, she assures me that popcorn is OK, and a far better choice than other snack foods. You all must be thinking of that movie popcorn. Besides I fail to see how eating a small bag of popcorn once or twice a week is preventing me from losing weight especially when I am riding 4 to 5 days a week. :/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This is definitely one of the more weirdly derailed threads lol

Oh yeah. I just built a trek liquid and its now around 27lbs which isn't bad cause stock it should have been like 33 from what I was reading. And yes, bike weight matters, regardless of rider weight. Add 4lbs to your front end and see how different it is. When I'm jumping something, the lighter my bike is, the more I can maneuver it in the air. The higher I can jump, the less energy it takes, etc. I don't know anything about popcorn, it gets stuck in my teeth so I don't eat it, but i do mtb... So whatever haha

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My blur lt with fox vanilla rc coil shock is 30lbs.

Actually popcorn can be quit a healthy snack, depending on how it's made. Microwave popcorn or movie popcorn no. Bags of kernels made in an air popper, yes it can be considered a healthy snack.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    Besides I fail to see how eating a small bag of popcorn once or twice a week is preventing me from losing weight especially when I am riding 4 to 5 days a week.
    How long do you ride for when you go out?

Live 2 Ride
    Around an hour or two.

mtbr member

Re: How much does your bike weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    Ha Ha. That's a joke...right?

Because...since you have got to eat anyway...choosing to eat a healthy diet (as opposed to the crap that most Americans eat), is not really all that expensive. I do it. And I do it cheaply.

You should give it a try. Take a walk through the produce section of your supermarket sometime and compare the prices of fresh nutritious, relatively low calorie stuff to that of processed foods.. You might be surprised.
    First of all, no. Not a joke. Second of all, I don't need to "try" it as, thats how I live. You said "healthy", not vegetarian. Eating lean meats and fruits and veggies is much more expensive than eating junk food, pastas, and starches (which also usually keep better).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Around an hour or two.
    You can cut calories or ride harder/faster/more frequently. If you're not losing weight you either cut intake or increase output. Cut all of the crap, empty calories out of your daily diet. Eat real food, vegetables, fruit, nuts, lean meat. Take the food pyramid and turn it upside down. I've seen your Strava segment, you do not go hard enough, long enough to call it effective. It's not supposed to be easy, all the best achievements come from hard work and sacrifice. You're selling yourself short, looking for work arounds like a lighter bike or easier like a road bike. Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Get out and go hard til you cant, then do it again. Then tomorrow, do it again and take some pride in the fact that you went hard even when it hurt. All that stands between you and success is hard work, fear and common sense. Go get some success.

mtbr member
    Around an hour or two.
    My guess is closer to the hour usually? Your body doesn't even begin to burn fat in the first hour.

I'm overweight myself but I'm not making excuses. If you can't loose weight you are taking in more fuel (food) than you are burning, it's just that simple. There is no magic involved. You either have to cut your fuel intake or increase the work your body is doing so that you burn up more. Being fat is not a disease, it is a lifestyle choice.

Warrior's Society
    My biikes weigh less than some......and more than others.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post

29.00 lbs.

21.3 lbs

Tbd
    Nice stable.

I don't know how much my bike weighs, but this discussion has got me curious about it.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    My bikes weigh less than some......and more than others.
    Mmm, deep.

Live 2 Ride
    You can cut calories or ride harder/faster/more frequently. If you're not losing weight you either cut intake or increase output. Cut all of the crap, empty calories out of your daily diet. Eat real food, vegetables, fruit, nuts, lean meat. Take the food pyramid and turn it upside down. I've seen your Strava segment, you do not go hard enough, long enough to call it effective. It's not supposed to be easy, all the best achievements come from hard work and sacrifice. You're selling yourself short, looking for work arounds like a lighter bike or easier like a road bike. Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Get out and go hard til you cant, then do it again. Then tomorrow, do it again and take some pride in the fact that you went hard even when it hurt. All that stands between you and success is hard work, fear and common sense. Go get some success.
    I think you missed the point. I want a lighter bike because the one I am riding feels like moving lead when I ride, even on a good day. I ride to enjoy the ride and get rid of stress and anger, not to make my heart explode just by pedaling a mile due to bike weight. I eat sensibly, and ride when I can.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I think you missed the point. I want a lighter bike because the one I am riding feels like moving lead when I ride, even on a good day. I ride to enjoy the ride and get rid of stress and anger, not to make my heart explode just by pedaling a mile due to bike weight. I eat sensibly, and ride when I can.
    If you reduce bike weight by 3 pounds you will have reduced the total weight of bike and rider less than 1%. How is that by any measure you care to use going to help? If on the other hand you lost 140 pounds, your total bike and rider weight would be reduced by about 48%. That would do wonders for power to weight ratio, watts per kg. Its false logic to expect any measurable gain by reducing bike weight when you really should reduce body weight by 50% or even more. Hard words to hear but its the truth and is inescapable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Its false logic to expect any measurable gain by reducing bike weight when you really should reduce body weight by 50% or even more. Hard words to hear but its the truth and is inescapable.
    Listen to the man. You feel like peddling lead because you weigh 280lb. The weight of the bike has nothing to do with it!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast