Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

How much does it cost you to maintain your bike?

I do most of my own work on my own bikes. I am mildly surprised by the cost of doing maintenance. I maintain three bikes for my family.

An average annual tune up for me usually means over 100 bucks in parts. Thats for new drllr cables, a fresh bottle of brake fluid, new pads, shock seals and (normally) new tires. Every other year, the brake seems to need rebuilds (lever/caliper), might need to replace suspension bearings, chain, chain rings, cassette, drllr pulleys, grips wear out or turn dog earred and the odd DU bushing.

Theres likely a few more Im forgetting. But with three bikes, i sometimes shudder when I put a bike on the repair stand. Not complaining, just talking about my observation.

Never enough time to ride
    Depends on the year. Average I go through a couple chains, sometimes three. If I keep up on the chains I'm usually good with the cassette through the next season, typically pull 2 to 3 seasons or roughly 3000 to 4000 miles on a set of rings (again if I keep up with the chains). Been pretty lucky with brakes, had to replace the square seals in the rear Juicy 7 this year so I did the MC at the same time and a set of pads in a season. Couple back tires in a year. A set of cables, plus what ever misc. stuff wears out in between. I'd say I average anywhere between $150 to $300 in a year to maintain my main ride. And maybe $75.00 average for the two other bikes.

Expensive sport, but still cheaper than some.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    nothing. unless I bend or wear out something. I can do most of my own work except bottom brackets and head sets. I probably could by the special tools but can't justify the expense. Over the last 4 years riding once a week 15+ miles, I bled the brakes once, broke one chain, replaced the rear sprocket once, grips once, chain rings once, cables twice and bent deraileur hanger about 1 or 2 every year. Never replace the tires. although the rear was getting low and starting to slip.

I believe that the most important maintenance is cleaning the bike after every ride, including lubing the drive train and making any adjustments. Mearly cleaning the bike would solve most of the bike maintenance issues. At my LBS almost every bike for tune ups, were never cleaned, lubed or were left outside or never ridden.

The first year of riding seriouse single track I made the mistake of throwing the bike in the garage uncleaned, un-lubed and wet. After sitting in the garage for two months, It never felt the same. it needed a complete tune up, brakes bled, and cables cleaned and lubed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Chains.. couple a year.

Tires..couple a year

Brake pads... fronts once a year.

Fork and shock service once per year

Set of grips maybe...

Crash damage...... varies
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Ride Instigator
    I probably avg about $200/year for my MTB, much less for mine and my wife's road bikes. The last expense was a freehub assy for my King hub at $160+a couple bombers I bought for my buddy for lending me the King hub tool to do a rebuild.

Oops, forgot about the crankset and chain I replaced a month or so ago. Okay, maybe it's closer to $500 for this year...and worth every last penny!

mtbr member
    It just depends on how many miles you plan on putting on your bike. If you dont ride it all year, then it will be really cheap to maintain. If you put 10,000 miles on it a year, then you will probably be dishing out a couple hundred depending on how good your components are in the first place.

If you wrap upgraditis into your maintenance costs like I do, then it will be a lot more.

mtbr member
    IF I make it thru a year without breaking a major part I generally spend around $1500 just to keep 3 bikes running.

Bro Mountainbiker
    jeebus senior blonde, what does that 1500 include?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I don't ride hard enough often enough these days to worry about maintenace costs.

from 1990 to 2000 I dread to think what we were spending, we were breaking chains,cables and bending wheels every other day

Alot to be said for the poster above , cleaning ,lightly lubing and tweeking after every ride solves alot of common faults like cable and chain wear, but it's hypocritical for me to preach as i'm fairly lazy on that front.

You can't really budget for crash related costs , bling and uneccesary upgrades don't count either .
    I scurry away with my hardtail between my legs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    Expensive sport, but still cheaper than some.
    It can be ALOT cheaper than some.

For instance I am a goalie for ice hockey, and all those pads cost a small fortune!

Skates: $350 (replaced every year)
    Pants: $320 (Every 2 years)
    Under Armor: $170 (Every year or 2)
    Cup: $50 (Every 2 years)
    Knee pads: $80 (Every 2 years)
    Leg Pads: $1,450 (Every 2 years)
    Chest Protector: $320 (Every 2 years)
    Catching Glove: $420 (Every 2 years)
    Blocker Glove: $305 (Every 2 years)
    Helmet: $400 (Every 4 years)
    Other "minor" accessories: $150 (Every year or 2)

Estimated total cost of equipment: $4,015 (for around every 2 years)

Not to mention the cost of actually being able to play... $3,200 (For 2 different teams every year)

Thats alot of dough! Hopefully now my parents wont have to pay for my college tuition

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just as I thought, it costs a pretty penny to ride a pretty bike. I thought I was over doing it, but it seems I'm way below the curve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    jeebus senior blonde, what does that 1500 include?
    My trailbike gets the biggest miles so it's the vast majority of that. I'm actually well over $1500 this year. Maybe double. This is where I stand for this year at the moment:

6 air sleeve services and fork seal replacements/fluid changes (still not meeting factory recommended service intervals) $60 each time= $360
    4 chains @ $40 =$160
    2 Cassettes @ $100= $200
    Chainrings $80
    15-20 Cables and ~4 Housing replacements =At least $120
    4 Tire sets =at least $380
    2 Pivot services @ $50 =$100
    Misc Bearings (HS, BB, Hub, Pedal, etc) at least $100
    a Saddle $150
    Grips $20
    Derailleur Pulleys $40
    Chainguide Idler Pulley $20
    DOT, Lube, Grease, Stans, etc = at least $150

WOW $1880 That sucks. Thanks for making me add that up.

EDIT: This is just the trailbike. The FR, MTNX, and BMX bikes double that total
    Last edited by Mr. Blonde; 09-05-2011 at 08:53 AM.

The perfessor
    i do most of my own work - bought my own tools just for this reason..........I don't spend much, maybe $100-200 per year............
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Most of my mileage is on the road bike so I don't actually wear all that much stuff out on the 2 off road bikes. I've got 2000 km or more on the IGH bike and the chain probably needs changing although the IGH did get a grease and oil bath a few months back. The regular bike got new pads and a chain last winter. I also rebuilt both its hubs, relaced the wheels and lubed the freehub. My only suspension fork got fresh oil, and one set of pedals got a bearing adjustment and grease. A couple years before I put new rings on the cranks that are now on one of the bikes. Aside from crashing and breaking stuff I'd say I'd probably spend maybe 300 a year for all 3 bikes.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I usually do my own work on the bike and help out friends when they need it. However, this time I broke my frame and I cannot find a replacement part! New frame w/o repair as an option.

slow
    2-3 chains a year, 1-2 tires, 2-3 tubes and 1-2 bottles of lube, 1 patch kit, all bought on sale. Maybe $100-150.

My soft tail doesn't have pivots or rear seals and wipers to worry about. Seals and wipers on fork just now needing replacing after 3+ years on this bike. Seal kit and oil under $50 and doing my own labor, so add $15 / year.

As long as the chains keep being replaced, the chainrings and cassette do not wear much. Just replaced front brake pads after 3+ years, so add another $6/year.

Fortunately I don't suffer from upgradeitis and, aside from chains, only replace things that break or wear out. Usually do about 2000 to 3000 dirt miles a year.

mtbr member
    Road bike - tires monthly $140.00 x 12
    Cables twice a year $55.00 x 2
    Handlebar tape $40.00 x 2

Mtb...TBD

mtbr member
    I don't ride competitively so it's very cheap for me. Besides my Fly is less than a year old and I haven't broken anything yet. Just a few upgrades - stem, carbon bar and seat, is all I've spent on it.

Compared to my last vice, cars - bicycles are dirt cheap. I don't even want to think of the coin I dropped on my rescue Impala. Alu-head LT1, fresh 4L60 build and 3.42s in a Torsen II rear axle. That was just the first year.

mtbr member
    I thought I was way under the curve, but after I added all the upgrades, sadly I win at spending the most.
    after buying expensive top of the line bikes, I decided to save some cash and bought a left over KHS AM2000 for $1000. It would not hold any adjustments, dropped chains and I could never dail the forks. I ended up replacing every thing to get it the way I liked. New forks/wheelsets,rotors, pads, crank, deraileur, seat and post. total cost with frame 2500,my LBS gave me a deal on parts, it was under the price of a top bike, but the frame was still a cheapo.
    Last edited by FNG RIDER; 09-05-2011 at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post

An average annual tune up for me usually means over 100 bucks in parts.

Not complaining, just talking about my observation.
    Sounds like you are wearing the parts out. $100 / yr sounds pretty cheap if you are using your bike that much.
    Last edited by dead_dog_canyon; 09-15-2011 at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow, you guys throw some cash at your bikes.

When I was commuting more and doing big km mostly in 3 gears only I used to change chains every 2,500km, cassette every 5000km etc.
    Now I'm completely reactive. Drivetrains get run until they don't run, then the parts that look bad get replaced.

My cluster is from 2003, my chain a few years later than that. On any wear gauge it would be toast, but I'll ride it until it skips.

I spend maybe $100 per bike per year. Seals, oil, cables and tyres/tubes combined. None of these are replaced as a matter of course, just when they get too damaged/worn to continue.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

My spelling is atroshus
    I've replaced a chain, cassette, seatpost, wheels, fork rebuild and chainstay bushings since October last year. Yup. MTB is an expensive hobby.

I don't even want to think about the cost.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by FNG RIDER View Post
    I believe that the most important maintenance is cleaning the bike after every ride, including lubing the drive train and making any adjustments. Mearly cleaning the bike would solve most of the bike maintenance issues. At my LBS almost every bike for tune ups, were never cleaned, lubed or were left outside or never ridden.
    Yep, I do that too and my bike is almost maintenance free

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    4 chains @ $40 =$160
    2 Cassettes @ $100= $200
    Chainrings $80
    15-20 Cables and ~4 Housing replacements =At least $120
    4 Tire sets =at least $380
    2 Pivot services @ $50 =$100
    Misc Bearings (HS, BB, Hub, Pedal, etc) at least $100
    a Saddle $150
    Grips $20
    Derailleur Pulleys $40
    Chainguide Idler Pulley $20
    DOT, Lube, Grease, Stans, etc = at least $150
    How the hell can you go thru 4 chains at $40 each ???

I'll give you an advice : buy another model, because this one doesn't seems to hold on good...

I have about an $150 of maintenance/repairs for about 4 to 5 bikes... a year.

Mostly because I get really good deal on labor charge at my lbs and I buy only on-sale items... And because I don't have a lot of money either

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have 2 bikes on the go with another 2 that get ridden only a few times a year. Maintenance cost is pretty much the cost of a couple tubes & patch kits and some chain lube & grease. Once every couple years I'll need a new chain, cogs seem to last around 4-5 years and tires are somewhere in between. Averaged out over 5 years and it's probably around $50-60 per year for each of my regularly ridden bikes after adding in cables, grips, and other small wear items.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    One chain for $25 and two bottles of lube for $16 combined, plus about $8 at the car wash, on one bike since April. Some of you guys clearly have more fun buying accessories, components, and LBS service or tools, than actually riding your bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast