mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Bonking ... not feelin' well How much do you spent on bike upgrades/repairs per month???

I have a Commencal Meta AM v4 2016 for enduro and a Giant Glory 00 2008 for DH races and such.

I would say I spend anywhere from 20 to 80 euros per month on repairs. But this is the months I ride the most, and with that comes the usual repairs and maintenance costs: bent derailleur hangers, flats, chains, gear/brake cables etc. The last few months I've actually broken a ton of s**t, one was covered by warranty thankfully (broken hub axle and body, no idea how it happened). Still I've broken my chain 3 times this month as well as ordering about 200 euros worth of upgrades (and of course things needed for these repairs and maintenance).

Also looking to justify buying a used Boxxer fork (~2014) for around 250 euros (good deal? used parts are super cheap where I live due to people needing to sell them quick)

Post how much you spend/how often you upgrade your bike!

slow
    I spend next to nothing on my bikes, but I ride more XC. Tires, chains, brake pads, and cassettes a couple of times a year as they wear is about it. I watch for sales on new items and good deals on gently used parts to replace broken items as they break. The only time I upgrade is when I find a really good deal on a nicer set of wheels or a fork, or when I break something.

Given the number of miles I ride and the amount of my time is spent riding, my budget is really low. I prefer to spend the money on travel.

WillWorkForTrail
    I think if you're racing, and you're serious about shaving ever tenth off your time so you practice, train, and ride hard, you're going to break more. I've only broken two chains in the past 5 years, both on my single speed, both going through rock gardens uphill. Of course, I've broken three frames in that time too. But that might just be because I'm fat. The reality though, is I don't push so hard that I'm past my limits and crash a lot, so there's a lot of stress and impact damage I COULD be putting on bikes that I'm not, because I'm pretty casual in my riding - I ride fast enough to have fun, but I don't really push. As a consequence, I think I've spent $60 or so...no, $120, I had to replace a tire - on parts this year. Two chains and a tire. Now, if you count having my suspension serviced at the shop over the winter while weather sucked and riding was impossible, it's more than that, but I figure that's just part of playing the game.

mtbr member
    In a year I'lll go through approximately 2 sets of tires, 3 chains, 1 chainring, 1 cassette, some sealant, 1 pair of grips, at least 1 pair of cycling shorts and a jersey, 1 pair gloves, fork service and various repairs. All in all I'd guestimate about $75 per month for about 2,000 miles of "xc" riding per year, and if I factored in the price to pay for a new bike that I'll inevitably need it would be quite a bit higher. Still cheaper than a heroin habit I guess.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Professional Crastinator
    I have one bike that's so dialed in I hate to even think of changing anything. That bike still ended up with a tire swap, tubeless, new lower headset cup (went from internal to external for that extra 1/2* of slackness ), and a new chain and cassette (waited about 1 month too long to replace the chain, hence the cassette).

My other bike is somewhat inexpensive and could stand to have a ton of upgrades, but I refuse to spend anything extra on it. Of course, it now has 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of wheels, plus I crashed and broke the aftermarket fork. So try as I might, even without being on the race schedule, it averages out to about $80 per month over the last year-and-a-half or so. A few of those months were $0, but a few of those months were $300! For me that's a pretty good return on my recreational dollar.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I have one bike that's so dialed in I hate to even think of changing anything. That bike still ended up with a tire swap, tubeless, new lower headset cup (went from internal to external for that extra 1/2* of slackness ), and a new chain and cassette (waited about 1 month too long to replace the chain, hence the cassette).

-F
    That is the magic place. I felt that way about a NORCO I rode, and about the Controltech singlespeed. Still getting used to the brontosaurus, but I think I will find that spot.

I tend to set things up the way I want from the start, and then just do maintenance as necessary, but I don't shred or race, so the cost tends to come down to grips, tires, chains.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, I've got my bikes pretty dialed right now, too. Haven't needed to replace any parts for quite some time. Tires are a looming expense, though (fatbike tires are no joke).

Now, as for the stuff I wear, that's a little different. My pack is pretty sad and is in need of replacement. I'm also needing some long sleeved jerseys. I recently moved to a new area that experiences a lot more cool fall temps than I'm used to and I don't have enough long sleeved gear. I rotate through a few pairs of gloves so I don't burn through them so fast. I do the same with shorts.

mtbr member
    You sure aren't kidding about tires. I will probably ride the 4.9s on the DB into the ground, and then will go JJ or whatever is similar and lighter. At that point, I will also try going tubeless (yeah, I know, I know-but I'm not changing that until it makes pragmatic and financial sense).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Gee, racing downhill at top speed crashing into to stuff? Abuse to bike and parts, who da thunk? I ride trails, not race. Tires last me at least 1 season, chains as needed. I also bikepack, tour, commute and stuff. Lots of bikes to spread the wear around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Still cheaper than a heroin habit I guess.
    Hahahahaha yup, at least thats a bonus of MTBing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah, you definitely spend a lot less if you're doing XC or more casual rides.

Personally, I like DH, going fast and always trying to hit the biggest/funnest jump I can with my skill level so its pretty reasonable that parts brake very frequently.

I do try my best to minimize this damage recently though, but when you're training for races and pushing yourself its practically impossible to prevent damage from being done. :/