mtbr member

How Much To Chrome A Frame?

about how much would it cost to have my gt i-drive frame chromed? or painted? do you have to sand down the original paint or would the shop do that for you?

less is more
    Chrome will add wt. Get it painted or just sanded & polished & clear coated for the original ball burnished look that lasts. Let a professional painter do all the work as you will probably fiu if you try. W/ paint you can choose from lots new cool automotive stuff & even go Mystic if you like.
    Finesse is everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by venus1
    Chrome will add wt. Get it painted or just sanded & polished & clear coated for the original ball burnished look that lasts. Let a professional painter do all the work as you will probably fiu if you try. W/ paint you can choose from lots new cool automotive stuff & even go Mystic if you like.
    good point thanks. about how much would it cost to get the frame painted?

less is more
    For a custom basic job expect at least $300 for stripping, preping & painting. If you want fancy paint like Mystic or pearl expect to pay more. It's nothing to spend $500 on paint.
    Finesse is everything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    chrome also eats away at the metal underneath

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

So if you have..

Quote Originally Posted by airrick
    chrome also eats away at the metal underneath
    chrome rims on your car your tires will eventually fall off because the chrome will eat through the metal underneath??? Seems like you might be leaving out a bit of information here. There are many, many metal items chromed and they seem to be doing fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    chrome rims on your car your tires will eventually fall off because the chrome will eat through the metal underneath??? Seems like you might be leaving out a bit of information here. There are many, many metal items chromed and they seem to be doing fine.
    I think I understand. To chrome something metal, it must be treated first so the chrome doesn't just peel away from the base metal. This usually involves some sort of acid bath to etch the surface for better chrome adhesion. This acid removes some metal.

I am looking at a nice Klein frame right now, I don't think I would chrome this one because the tubes are so thin in the middle they sound like beer cans when you tap them. I have a road frame made of very nice steel that I chromed 20 years ago and it is still flawless today. I don't think a blanket statement "do not chrome because it removes metal" makes sense because it really depends on the frame you are working with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You can also get metal "Black Chromed"...the process is being used in the auto industry and some Italian shotguns are also being done this way too as the wear resistance is far better than painting or bluing..

A friend had his frame powercoated and he is very pleased with the results...its another process which is far tougher than tradional painting..

Regards,

Pete

mtbr member
    do you think i could do it myself? i have access to a sandblaster at a friends shop. or would handsanding be best? im sure there are many people here that have sanded and painted their own frames. any advice?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Powercoat

Howzit Spoon. There is a guy near IHS in town who paints. I think the name is Cosmic Airbrush.

If not I saw a paint chip sheet at Bikewerks for powercoating. There was some nice metalflake colors on it. Don't know what colors though. Give them a call.