Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

How many of ya'll still shop at your lbs?

Maybe its just me but I haven't bought anything from my lbs except an emergency tube every couple of months. I have been buying all my gear and parts from online sources because its wayyyy cheaper and 100x more selection. Just recently I had to buy an emergency 29er tube for $9 (dame expensive long valves -.-). The next day I bought 4 29er tubes online for $20 shipped.
    I got a feeling a lot of guys are in the same boat as I am. Or maybe im just weird like that..

mtbr member

How many of ya'll still shop at your lbs?

For me, it's not about the money. I gladly pay more to support my friends, and my local economy. Our kids play together, they've loaned me bikes (I'm a daily commuter) when mine was being wrenched on. Time and time again they have gone above and beyond the call of duty to make it more than worth my while to continue to spend my money there, rather than an online marketplace.

Sure, I could be pinching pennies and worry about where every cent goes, but at what cost?

I like pie.
    Why would you buy an "emergency" tube on line for $9 and wait three days when your LBS would have the same item for under $5 (with $0) shipping?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    @mr
    ermm I meant my lbs charged me close to 9. I have yet seen a presta long valve 29er tube for $5 at any lbs. point being is that many of my lbs will not have parts that I need and often I leave empty handed.

mtbr member
    this topic again?

*preparing for flame war in 5, 4, 3, 2...*

mtbr member
    IDK, my LBS hooks me up for about what I can find stuff for online. They can also make sure the parts are installed and set up correctly.

mtbr member
    It depends on how you define LBS.

As retired military, I have the opportunity to buy most of my bike thing from the Outdoor Recreation people at a local base. The young guy who runs it is an avid mountain bike who has set up a very compete workshop and will do most any repair you need and lets me, at least, have access to the shop when I want to tinker.

Cost is probably less then most pay on-line and if you like the selection of bikes they carry, you can get one around 40% below list all the time and no sales tax, not just on sale. If you don't, and I don't, you buy your bikes elsewhere and pay whatever you can find.

In the winter, they are a great place for ski equipment and have a very competent turner on staff. I grew up with the guy and his father was a coach for the US ski team many, many years ago.

If that's not enough, I now have the same discounted access to most any kind of sporting good you can think of from racks to Garmin to Go Pro, to kayaks and SUPs, etc. etc.

So, yes, I still shop at my LBS only what you would define as an LBS has changed for me. Because of the way they are forced to operate however, there is no stock so you do have to wait a week but I can plan ahead for most needs like tubes and have enough bikes to carry me through if one is down for some reason.

This type of operation is not available on every base. I'm just lucky it is on the one only a few miles from away.

mtbr member
    I shop at the local Performance Bike store. They always have sales and sometimes coupons. I don't care for the shop I originally bought my bike from 14 years ago. But I am glad they are still around. They're not too far from Performance Bike either.

I have bought items on line too because I have come across some real bargains that I don't I would come across at any lbs.
    Last edited by Zomby Woof (MCM700); 08-07-2014 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Not much...Most bikes shops on Australia just sell bikes, no performance parts no upgrade parts & barely any clothes so I'm forced to buy everything online.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    It depends on how you define LBS.

As retired military, I have the opportunity to buy most of my bike thing from the Outdoor Recreation people at a local base. The young guy who runs it is an avid mountain bike who has set up a very compete workshop and will do most any repair you need and lets me, at least, have access to the shop when I want to tinker.

Cost is probably less then most pay on-line and if you like the selection of bikes they carry, you can get one around 40% below list all the time and no sales tax, not just on sale. If you don't, and I don't, you buy your bikes elsewhere and pay whatever you can find.

In the winter, they are a great place for ski equipment and have a very competent turner on staff. I grew up with the guy and his father was a coach for the US ski team many, many years ago.

If that's not enough, I now have the same discounted access to most any kind of sporting good you can think of from racks to Garmin to Go Pro, to kayaks and SUPs, etc. etc.

So, yes, I still shop at my LBS only what you would define as an LBS has changed for me. Because of the way they are forced to operate however, there is no stock so you do have to wait a week but I can plan ahead for most needs like tubes and have enough bikes to carry me through if one is down for some reason.

This type of operation is not available on every base. I'm just lucky it is on the one only a few miles from away.
    I wish I was at a base like that

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajaguars View Post
    IDK, my LBS hooks me up for about what I can find stuff for online. They can also make sure the parts are installed and set up correctly.
    For me, most of the time they don't have what I want/need, so I'd rather just buy it online at my own convenience. Also, I trust myself more when installing/fixing things than I do the LBS's in my area, and that's the main reason I rarely go into a bike shop anymore.

In my opinion, LBS is mostly for the casual biker or road biker in my area.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I buy accessories and little things like tools and tubes from local shops, but parts I usually buy online, and most of my bikes I've bought used. Mostly it's cost and selection. On my budget getting used stuff or deals on Ebay is the only way to afford decent parts. Also the shop in my town carries almosy exclusively Specialized, so I have a Specialized helmet, shoes, tire pump, but many other brands they simply can't order. The next nearest shop is small and doesn't have much selection either. They can order parts but I don't always have time to go drive there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    For me, most of the time they don't have what I want/need, so I'd rather just buy it online at my own convenience. Also, I trust myself more when installing/fixing things than I do the LBS's in my area, and that's the main reason I rarely go into a bike shop anymore.

In my opinion, LBS is mostly for the casual biker or road biker in my area.
    That sucks.

My LBS is staffed by folks who not only love what they do, they really know what they are doing. They have MTBers, roadies, and a BMX dude on staff.

The Original Suspect
    I like to try and use my LBS's ( I frequent several) but I find that it's only when I need service that I can't perform myself (wheel repair) or when I need that small part or tool NOW.

For the most part I know that if I need something larger like cranks, brakes, bars, stem etc. I can order it online and receive it quicker and cheaper than any shop can.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam and will surely cause a stir once again. The line between supporting a local business and getting a good deal is a jagged one.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I got lucky. Three or four miles away and plenty of mountain biking in the area. It was all because the young guy I mentioned decided there was no reason not to go big time into bikes. They sell many hundreds of Cannondale a year and a good number of Diamondback too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I worked in shops years ago, so I was already used to ordering out of a catalog or online, like BTI or QBP. Also have my own tools. But most normal people still go to shops.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Ignore List: CannondaleF9, ShinDiggity, smilinsteve

Hell Track
    Just bought cleats yesterday from a local shop. if i need it now i'm buying from a shop

mtbr member
    I used to buy online most of my stuff but have found myself going to the LBS recently and buying what I need there if they have it.

What drives me mad is the shop that has little to no inventory and relies on ordering the stuff you need, when that happens I just leave and buy on another shop that almost always have what I need. Understand the business side of this but for the customer (at least for me) is a PITA because makes you go all over trying to find parts, this almost always happens with BB cups for example.

beater
    When this topic comes up, a major determining factor tends to be the quality of the shop. I don't buy everything at mine because they know that stocking up on inventory for accessories and clothes is a losing game for a small brick-and-mortar shop, but I buy a fair amount there. I often have them order things for me. They get deliveries a couple times a week, so ordering through them really isn't any slower than buying online. Plus, they're friends of mine and treat me really well, so I'd rather spend my money there.

There's an article on my LBS in the September issue of Decline.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mostly support my LBS as I'm not the most skilled hands on. They are passionate mountain bikers in a competitive area (three LBS in a small town) that really know quality customer service and repair/maintenance,, often giving decent discounts. Do have to admit though,,, I brows online almost daily drooling over high end parts.

I eat cats
    I do because after having my bike built there they give me at least 15% off of everything and give me solid advice. If you don't have an excellent LBS then that could sway you the other way.

Here's an example... I just bought new brake pads and a DT Swiss ratchet for my bike. I paid the same for the pads as I found online and got the ratchet for cheaper after my discount. They even took the time to show me how to remove/replace the ratchet and how to regrease it.

Don't look down here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Used to Have a Good LBS

Bought my last two mountain bikes there, and pretty much everything else to do with them.

The owner died, the store was sold and only has cheap low-end stuff now.

Looking for a new LBS (in the Bay Area).

mtbr member
    I buy lots of stuff at the lbs including a bike recently. My rule is to buy it at an lbs if I can and otherwise buy it off the net. The net is almost always cheaper but it just isn't there when I need a tube or cable or whatever right away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The parts selection isn't very broad at the lbs. I usually purchase online due to deals and other things not sold at lbs then take it to the lbs for installation for the things that I don't have the tools for. As far as bikes go, I always buy from lb shops whether local or an hour away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I do both. There are a lot of shops that I pass on my commute, and I've been to all of them. There are 2 or 3 good ones that are on my short list.
    The closest shop to me doesn't usually have what I'm looking for, but I often try them first.
    My favorite shop is out of my way, but I like them enough that I'll find excuses to be in their neighborhood.
    One of the bigger shops around seems to be run by the elitist roadie types, I don't bother with them at all.
    The internet sometimes has better pricing, but seldom helps me when I've got some obscure problem, or need help with an adjustment.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast