Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

How many have you met?

After falling off the bridge, I need a safer topic.

How many forum posters have you met in real life?

I guess I must not get out much. I can think of only one person -- an NMU student and his fiance whom I met and went riding with a couple of times. (I guess that's two persons, but the fiance was not a forum member).

What about you?

Suckin wind like a boss
    a couple different peeps i know of for sure, but there are some folks in internetland that are afraid to admit their internet persona is attached to a real person...so theres probably a few who stayed incognito as well. lotta ohio peeps on mtbr.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I might meet one tonight at concert. I guess we'll talk trails & bikes over beers.

mtbr member
    I know some of the people that post on one of the regional forums. I've done some trail building and trail maintenance with them and some others that I see posting sometimes. I ride pretty frequently at an IMBA destination trail system that I see mentioned quite a bit so I'm sure I've met plenty on the trail and didn't know it. Outside of that, none that I really know of.
    Last edited by skullcap; 09-14-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    It's kind of the opposite for me. There are a couple of people I ride with who have accounts on here. Haven't ridden anyone I didn't already know, yet. Tried a few times but our schedules just haven't been in sync...
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

High Desert MTBer
    I often meet up with forum people, especially from my local MTB forum
    It's all Here. Now.

beater
    I've met a surprising number over the last 3-4 years, but generally while traveling, mostly to destination spots like Moab or Hurricane. Aquaholic, DirtGirl and SlowerThanSnot, for example, all post enough photos that I recognized them or their bikes. And then I've run into some of the regional folks at events around the Rockies.

Pretty much no locals, though. There are only 2-3 other people from town who post on here.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've never met a soul from mtbr. I do wonder how many people I ride with are on here. I think its reasonably likely that I frequently ride with another forum member and we've interacted on here but never found out we know each other.

I try not to let my account be too revealing. I imagine saying something that will come back to haunt me during my presidential campaign when folks are trying to dig up muck on me. Trying to find out who lives near me would seem to make my account much more identifiable. I can imagine trying to explain on some news show that joke about left handed cigarettes and why I'm not a terrible role model

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I try not to let my account be too revealing. I imagine saying something that will come back to haunt me during my presidential campaign when folks are trying to dig up muck on me.
    I've grown as a cyclist. Some of my posts from the early days are downright embarrassing for me to look at now. It's all there in plain sight for everyone to see how clueless I was.

Five years hence, I'll probably look back at today's posts and say the same thing.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I've met some bike folk who use a certain lingo and sometimes I just ask if they browse mtbr too. Met a decent number.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Seven years ago I lived and worked in Switzerland, then we moved to Norther New Jersey. I had never been in the town I now live in. Before moving I posted on the New Jersey forum asking if anyone in the area could show me where to ride. One or two people responded and showed me around. One guy in particular has become a good friend and we still ride together frequently.

I've also from time to time met people who have acknowledged in conversation that they post on MTBR but never knew who they were on the forum.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Team Social Pace consists of pretty much consists of MTBR members. In fact, the NorCal scene is pretty tight - ridden with Francis (francois) a few times... but yes. The only people I ride with are from MTBR (except my brother, who has an account but doesn't post). If you crack open the NorCal section, all the posters have mostly met and ridden together at least at one point.

It get's weird when I'll be at a LBS, and they ask me my name, and a customer will over hear and say, "Hey, are you DION from MTBR? I'm _____________!" and then we share a moment.

We use MTBR as a way to keep in touch, announce rides and meet up for social gatherings. We ride San Jose Bike Party together... race... train... trade parts, work on bikes together, etc. We are friends outside of just MTB'ing... our wives know each other (and some even ride together)... we talk about work and other things bothering us and support each other. This weekend we are all busting out a BBQ to celebrate a birthday (MTBR member).

All from MTBR. This site has gained me some invaluable friends whom I wouldn't have met otherwise.

Some of us are also from another local forum (BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum) which is for motorcycles, and we know each other from there. A lot of MTB'ers also ride Moto in the Bay Area, Ca.
    Last edited by Dion; 09-14-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Tool
    People tend to get skeeved out at the thought of meeting a stranger named Pedalphile in the woods.

Nonetheless, I've met a dozen or more forum members, all great people. In fact, I met the friend with whom I ride most frequently via MTBR.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    None for me.

I am a member of some Guitar related forums. Several of us meet annually somewhere in the country and have a weekend jam. The last one had about 30 people. It's a blast. It was in Indianapolis and we had people fly in from Washington State, Oregon, Florida and Texas. Many drove from neighboring states.

I've met a number of MTBR members over the years. Most don't post often, though. I can think of 2 locals in the town I live in now. One on vacation. A couple when I lived in Pittsburgh. Pretty sure a number of folks I've ridden with in IN, OH, and MI are members here, but I met them in person first, so I don't count that.

terry, I'd bet we know a few of the same folks. I've met a few riders in Cleveland maybe 10yrs ago or so when I was an undergrad in Ohio. I did a couple Spokejunkies rides back then and did a bunch of trail work with folks from all over the state.

Flow like water
    I have only been a member here for a few months, but did meet a couple at a recent bike demo whom I later learned are members here. Some of the other people at that demo weekend may be members here, but I did not think to ask.

I am also a member at hammockforums. I have met about 50 of those folks at a group hang we have every winter at Mt. Rogers. I was happy to discover that those people were even more fun in person than they are online. Great people.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i have yet to meet ya Dion - weird we haven't crossed paths yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Team Social Pace consists of pretty much consists of MTBR members. In fact, the NorCal scene is pretty tight..

It get's weird when I'll be at a LBS, and they ask me my name, and a customer will over hear and say, "Hey, are you DION from MTBR? I'm _____________!" and then we share a moment.

All from MTBR. This site has gained me some invaluable friends whom I wouldn't have met otherwise.
    and yah, I get yelled at in the woods every so often....it's disconcerting to have someone scream CHUM! at ya...

but now that I 'outed' a local gem of a trail system the CHUM! greeting may not be so friendly

Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

I4NI
    Zero, nada
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I know alot of forum members, I would say 30 or more. I have done trailwork and group rides with people from all over. I have had positive experiences meeting all of them and I consider many my friends.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    After falling off the bridge, I need a safer topic.

How many forum posters have you met in real life?

I guess I must not get out much. I can think of only one person -- an NMU student and his fiance whom I met and went riding with a couple of times. (I guess that's two persons, but the fiance was not a forum member).

What about you?
    Too many to remember them all. A few hundred?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

GO JIMMIE!!
    I have met 2 so far. Hope to meet more.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I've only met one person off here from the texas forum. We rode together once, I was sick and it turned out to be a pretty sh*tty ride. Since then we've tried to ride again but our schedules don't really sync. I'm pretty sure I've seen armyslowrider out on the trails but I'm not a real social person so striking up a conversation with a random person I may or may not know from the internet doesn't really appeal to me

slow
    I've met and ridden with a bunch of MTBR members, most of whom hang out on the Colorado Front Range forum. Several were from rides arranged on the forum between people who had never met, but who ride together quite a bit now. A few were from chance meetings on the trail and recognizing someone's bike. Many were from the old days of the MTBR gatherings. Some still post here, some still hang out in our area and don't post, and still others have moved on to other places (scrublover, llama) and beyond (anthonys). I have enjoyed the community this place provides.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Me and Crosstown Stew met up to ride and now we are homies. I also met Savior Machine at a race. Also, I met one random guy once. Dont know who he is but he sure knew me. Kinda weird but I guess it comes with the territory.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I've met a number of MTBR members over the years. Most don't post often, though. I can think of 2 locals in the town I live in now. One on vacation. A couple when I lived in Pittsburgh. Pretty sure a number of folks I've ridden with in IN, OH, and MI are members here, but I met them in person first, so I don't count that.

terry, I'd bet we know a few of the same folks. I've met a few riders in Cleveland maybe 10yrs ago or so when I was an undergrad in Ohio. I did a couple Spokejunkies rides back then and did a bunch of trail work with folks from all over the state.
    youre probably right nate. a lot of guys i ride with, and more in camba and other clubs around here, are forum members. some i know their forum IDs, others i dont. not gonna out anyone in particular but 2 i know of for sure that are active on mtbr as well as our local forums. i know theres more, just havent bothered to ask them.

and im sure several of the guys you rode with during undergrad are some of the same dudes i ride with now. most of them have been part of mtbing since the 90s.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast