• 12-04-2012
    Pollution Warrior
    How long to wait to ride after a fractured arm?
    I fractured my arm and did a considerable amount of soft tissue damage (muscle/tendon or something) 7 weeks ago in a low speed OTB with a hard landing. The arm is only slightly sore now at times and I have full use back, but I haven't been on a bike since the crash. I've heard that a break takes about 3 months to fully heal. I'm getting married at the end of January and don't want to go through a wedding and honeymoon in a cast due to a stupid reinjury.
  • 12-04-2012
    Shark
    Really depends, what did the DOC say??

    I was back on the bike after 6 weeks when I broke my collarbone, but that's not an arm....
  • 12-04-2012
    Tone's
    A fracture actually heals very quickly on a young healthy person, you will be fully healed now to get back on your bike, if your in doubt talk to your doctor, but im almost certain he will tell you to get back on your bike, you will be sweet, no worries....
  • 12-04-2012
    006_007
    Ya, I really think it would be a good idea to listen to what your doctor says - I am betting the majority of us on MTBR are not licensed physicians.

    Just to play, when I fractured/compressed a few vertebrae I was off the bike for 6 months, broken wrist set me off bike for 6 weeks, and the broken hand that required surgery I was not riding for 10 weeks.

    But having a cast for your wedding could present quite a unique opportunity for a guest book - just get all your guests to sign the cast........
  • 12-04-2012
    Adam_B.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Really depends, what did the DOC say??

    ^^^THIS^^^

    I'd be more worried about the soft tissue damage especially if it was a tendon since they tend to take longer to heal than bone and are more prone to re-injury. Once a bone has healed it is generally stronger at the point of the break than it was previously. Definitely go by what your DOC has to say though.
  • 12-04-2012
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Ummm OP have you ever actually read these forums? If you have I don't think you would be asking Dr. advice from a bunch of yahoo MTB enthusiasts.;)
  • 12-04-2012
    b-kul
    ya, medical stuff is best left to a doctor, not some stranger on a bike forum.
  • 12-04-2012
    Finch Platte
    I could probably go for a ride tomorrow.

    Oh, wait- are you talking about you? Sorry.
  • 12-04-2012
    GelatiCruiser
    Which bone did you fracture? Ulna/radius/humerus. Just curious. I once played hockey with 2 pins hanging out of my hand from a boxer's fracture...not advisable. If your DR isn't against it, I would go for a gentle, controlled ride and see how you feel during and after. You'll be sore for sure. Are you doing any rehab for it? You might want to ask your PT about riding. Also depends on how bad the fracture was (open vs. closed, compound, slab fracture, etc...). But definitely listen to your doctor or pt, not a bunch of us wingnuts.
  • 12-05-2012
    Tone's
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Ummm OP have you ever actually read these forums? If you have I don't think you would be asking Dr. advice from a bunch of yahoo MTB enthusiasts.;)

    LOL, stuff it, we know everything on this site, theres nothing and i mean nothing we cant answer without confidence, hell i recon we could deliver a two headed baby on this site, even defuse a WW2 bomb with a team effort.....:thumbsup:
  • 12-05-2012
    Pollution Warrior
    FYI, the bone that was fractured was the radius and it was up close to the elbow. The fracture was pretty minor. The Dr. here (China) wasn't even sure it was a fracture. The main damage seems to have been a torn muscle or something.

    Just to clarify, I'm not looking for medical advice here. I'm just curious what the experiences of folks here have been. I'd pretty much already decided to lay off of riding till 3 months after the accident anyway just to be on the safe side to give it time to fully heal. Too, what your doctors may have told you in similar circumstances is probably actually better medical advice than I'm likely to get in a Chinese hospital anyway, but I'd still check with a medical professional of some sort before riding less than 3 months after the crash.
  • 12-05-2012
    Tone's
    If its spinal which is isnt, thats the one to take serious precoutions with, i broke a vertebra in my back and still had pain after 6 months, i took a month off work and after 4 weeks was up and at them.
    Ive broken my collar bone, arm, hand 3 times, ankle twice, fractured my skull as a kid and basically all my fingers.
    As soon as they feel ok imo they are good to go.
    A bone knits itself together very very well, so much so that when an if you rebreak it it will not break on the old break, it will break just to the side of it almost like when you pull wood thats glued together apart the glue will stay on one side and you will tear fresh wood of the glue..
    Your body will tell you when its ok to ride again.
    imo your bone will be fine, its nerve damage that will tell you if its ok.
    you have had an xray that has shown theres no floating bone so your small fracture will be healed by now for sure.
    I will say that xrays are not definitive and/or Docs often miss very small fractures, its happened to me and it happened on one of my fractures on my spine.
    Listen to your body, i think you will be fine to carry on riding if your arm feels ok...
  • 12-05-2012
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, stuff it, we know everything on this site, theres nothing and i mean nothing we cant answer without confidence, hell i recon we could deliver a two headed baby on this site, even defuse a WW2 bomb with a team effort.....:thumbsup:

    Ha ha sorry Tone I don't know what happened, it seems I lost my mind for a minute there.:eek:
  • 12-05-2012
    Rock
    Broke mine at the other end, down by my wrist. Surgery, plate, screws, PT, released after 6 weeks to ride. Do what the DR tells you. I started real slow, and being myself, have stayed that way for 4 years.
  • 12-05-2012
    deke505
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior View Post
    FYI, the bone that was fractured was the radius and it was up close to the elbow. The fracture was pretty minor. The Dr. here (China) wasn't even sure it was a fracture. The main damage seems to have been a torn muscle or something.

    Just to clarify, I'm not looking for medical advice here. I'm just curious what the experiences of folks here have been. I'd pretty much already decided to lay off of riding till 3 months after the accident anyway just to be on the safe side to give it time to fully heal. Too, what your doctors may have told you in similar circumstances is probably actually better medical advice than I'm likely to get in a Chinese hospital anyway, but I'd still check with a medical professional of some sort before riding less than 3 months after the crash.

    If you tore some thing it all depends on how you rest it. The more you use said ligament or muscle the longer it will take to heal.

    edit So the best advice here is to speak to your doctor.
  • 12-05-2012
    Ricko
    Heck, as long as it don't hurt, go ahead and ride!

    **Disclaimer: I have absolutely no medical background, I am a mountain biker on a web board and no better then some drunk on a stool. Best to seek the advice of a professional who is familiar with your individual case**

    Enjoy your ride!
  • 12-05-2012
    Spinning Lizard
    I ALWAYS ask the Doc how much damage can I do? I can take some pain. So as long as I can handle the pain and there is not a chance of further injury I will ride.
  • 12-05-2012
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Heck, as long as it don't hurt, go ahead and ride!

    **Disclaimer: I have absolutely no medical background, I am a mountain biker on a web board and no better then some drunk on a stool. Best to seek the advice of a professional who is familiar with your individual case**

    Enjoy your ride!

    The above ^^^^ disclaimer should be inserted into every post in this thread.

    **Disclaimer: I have absolutely no medical background, I am a mountain biker on a web board and no better then some drunk on a stool. Best to seek the advice of a professional who is familiar with your individual case**:thumbsup:
  • 12-05-2012
    DavyRay
    Rotsa Ruck!
  • 12-05-2012
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Dr.?
  • 12-09-2012
    ivanovnv
    It all depends on your body and what the Doc says. I broke my wrist back in June and by August I was already riding. Everybody recovers at a different rate and bones heal at a different speed, so all I can say is: if you don't feel comfortable, don't risk it.
  • 12-09-2012
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    I ALWAYS ask the Doc how much damage can I do? I can take some pain. So as long as I can handle the pain and there is not a chance of further injury I will ride.

    Yeah but I think humans heal differently, and take pain differently than Lizards.
  • 12-09-2012
    eb1888
    High circulation areas like an arm heal fast, unlike a leg. I had a static bone break with no muscle or tendon damage last August 2011. I started upping the calories immediately and ate yogurt almonds and fresh pineapple to speed up the union, which starts in 7-10 days. No aspirin or tylenol- interferes with the jelly stuff that creates the union and callus Then the callus needs to get stressed with the resulting micro fractures leading to a strong repair. I was on the road in 6 weeks but stayed off the trail for another 6 because it is technical and long.
  • 12-09-2012
    dave54
    While discussing this with your doc ask him which tire is best for riding on wet muddy trails in your area.

    If you ask medical advice on this forum you should ask your doc MTB questions.
  • 12-09-2012
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    While discussing this with your doc ask him which tire is best for riding on wet muddy trails in your area.

    If you ask medical advice on this forum you should ask your doc MTB questions.

    First off let me give you a :thumbsup:for that comment.
    And let me add this for the OP >>>Robert Palmer - Bad Case Of Loving You(Doctor, Doctor)(Live) - YouTube