mtbr member
    Mar 2013

How to install Sram XX chainset on 2012 Rocky Element 70rsl (shimano press fit bb)

I'm looking at buying a sram xx groupset thats available for a good price to upgrade my Element 70 rls. The groupset comes with a GXP ceramic bottom bracket and the bike has a shimano press bit bb (SMBB91). I've only had bikes before with threaded bottom brackets and before buying this bike thought bb30 was the only press fit standard so am all a bit new to this. Is there any easy way I can make this work? Am happy to buy a new bottom bracket.

Thanks

reading comprehension wat
    Is this what you're looking for?

GXP BB for BB92 BB shells.

SRAM GXP Adapter cups BB92 press-fit

I don't know much more about this. I was just curious after seeing your Q and did my own research and found this. I just know SRAM GXP spindles don't work with Shimano BBs themselves, since they have a 22mm OD on the non-driveside spindle, which steps up to 24mm, with the step acting as a back to the non-driveside bearing. Basically, SRAM needs a 22mm and a 24mm ID bearing, while Shimano uses two 24mm ID bearings.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks alot for digging that out, looks good. Would be good to hear from someone whose done this in practice though in case there are any gotchas that aren't immediately apparent. In particular I was wondering about chainline / spacing. Isn't the sram setup narrower than shimano? Is it possible you just can't run them on a frame?