mtbr member

How the hell did you get into mountain biking?

Hi, guys

I am working on a school project and I need your help.

I need to know what made you to realize mountain biking is so awesome and made you purchase your first MTB.

What was your motive?
    Did you have any cycling background prior to that?

I need to know!
    Any comment would help.

Thanks in advance!

C
    Last edited by THE DESIGNER; 06-28-2013 at 04:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, first off, people usually don't write XOXO on this board. Kind of anti-thetical to mountain biking in general.

I, for one, grew up on a mountain so when I got a bike at a young age, it just made sense to ride it on the mountain. Then, when I got into scouting, my Scout-master would take me on long and enjoyable mountain bike trips through Utah. I have continued riding since. Now I live in Arizona and these hills are much tougher than our Utah stuff. But, I go with Nietche - that which doesn't kill me makes me stronger - although I may have suffered some minor brain damage on my ride last weekend in 104 degrees. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I never owned a BMX bike as a kid. Everything I've owned other than my first bike has been a MTB. Stopped riding at 16 (license being the reason)

Rode an old beater bike with a friend on light trails (after a 12yr hiatus) and after much huffing and puffing, I was hooked again. Purchased my Trek within 1 week. That was 1yr ago Ive only missed two weekends of riding since. Having a great State Park 1 mile from my door step helps. I'm now a MTB'er for LIFE.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    This may or may not help you, but I learned how to ride a bike without training wheels at a late age: either 6 or 7. At that time I had junky Kmart bikes from the 80's (my aunt's old bikes) to ride, as I only rode at my grandmother's house and there were free bikes already there. At age 10 or something, I was given a brand new Kmart bike with supposedly "full suspension". As I became older, I disliked riding a bike that could not fulfill its purpose in life. In two years, that Kmart bike was near useless, as it would refuse to shift gears, or actually work. My butt ached riding on the road, and my hands were sore after every ride. One day, I passed this bike shop in Bridgewater, VT, that sold Cannondale bikes (mountain, but mainly road bikes). At this time, riding on the mountain was still in my imagination, as I knew no people, or location of trails other than some ATV trails at my property. Not only did I not ride on the mountain at this time, but I rode a steel chunk POS that I absolutely hated riding anywhere. I swore at that bike whenever I got off it, so I did not ride it much and I was out of shape.
    When I entered this bike shop (my mother had previously bought a bike from these people), I saw three mountain bikes lined up. At this time, I cared only to get off that old POS, so not knowing about new innovations like disk brakes, lockout forks, 10 speed drivetrains, and air forks, I found the least expensive bike there (which fit in my budget), which was the Cannondale F9. I test rode the bike and fell in love with it. Not only did the fork actually work, it worked better than I would have imagined until then. I loved the Shimano shifters, as well as rim brakes which stopped before I crashed into something. The man gave me a trade in for $75 on that old NEXT Powerclimber, which was good as the bike cost only $88 new. That meant that I bought the F9 for $425 (a high price in my mind before I found the price of the Cannondale F29 Ultimate at $11,000). I felt so good riding this bike that I actually wanted to ride. I made excuses to go out riding. After buying the F9, I swore an oath to myself that I would not buy another Kmart bike as my main riding bike. The F9 was such a performer, and I loved it so much that I would wipe even the tiniest speck of dirt off the frame whenever I found one, which resulted in me being around the bike much more. One day I attempted to take my bike out on my ATV trails. It had rained the previous day, so I figured that the trails were dry. I was wrong. My bike came with Kenda Straight 8 tires that filled with the clay/mud that I have at my house, and were useless. I tried to climb up a hill, and the wheel slipped like it was on ice. I believe I fell, but caught myself at the last moment. I did not like riding on the mountain due to my tires, and the fact that I was not in shape made it hard for me to climb a hill of any sort. Another time I rode on the grass and I crashed when I cornered while pedaling. The pedal stuck and I flipped the bike sideways. I was totally embarrassed that I made a mistake, but I then learned not to corner and pedal at the same time. The next year, this guy I know who owns a Trek Rumblefish told me of trails in Rutland called "Pine Hill Park". Rutland is a 45 minute drive to the west from where I am, so on a weekend, a friend and I drove there and we rode on the trails. By then I had upgraded my tires to more all-mountain spec, so I believed that no mountain could get in my way. By then, I was more in shape, so it was easier, but I still had a hard time. I rode many times at Pine Hill Park since then. The following year (2012), I was looking for an upgrade to my F9. I liked riding mountain, but I was not really into it. After comparing a few bikes, I stumbled upon this humble forum site, and I became CannondaleF9, named after my first real bike which I hope to never sell. I now own a 2013 Trek Cobia and I ride as many times as possible.
    I owe my love of MTBing to my 2010 F9, but sooner or later I would have ridden offroad and found out that MTBing is cooler than a pack of ice. Mountain Biking does not go in Sub Zero because it goes in the Aston Martin DB9 freezer .
    I hope this helped. This has been a history of how CannondaleF9 became CannondaleF9.
    Good luck on your school project. I know how boring those can be.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Merendon Junkie
    About 2 years ago, I had just stopped smoking 3 months before that moment. I was eating some lunch in restaurant on a strip mall. Cigarrette cravings were constantly messing with my head. Just as I finished eating and was getting that after meal craving, I noticed a store in front that said "Specialized Bikes". I went in to see what was up and came out of the store with a hardrock. I was hooked the next day. I never got serious cravings again, just massive craving for MTBing!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Was casually riding with wife at local paved area. My dog seemed to love to run with me up and down street as fast as I could. So, from there it advanced. I got into mountain/trail riding because of my dog.

mtbr member
    About 5 years ago I moved to a very popular town that offers some of the best mountain biking in the summers and some of the best skiing in the winter. Shortly after moving here I wanted to get into better shape so I could get out off of my butt and out of the house to start enjoying my suuroundings. I had a friend from work that had just started mountain biking and he really enjoyed it. Knowing nothing about bikes I first went and bought a $300 dual suspension bike from a department store. Well after a few rides I fell in love with mountain biking and can't get enough of it. I now have a $2500 hard tail, and hopefully soon a $4000 dual suspention. I also learned everything there is to know about bikes and now have a full bike shop in my garage.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Long story made as short as possible.

I have always been a hard core skier. Specifically, I was a hard core bump skier and lived to ski moguls. You can have your powder days, I want spring bumps. I lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years and got to ski some of the best bump runs in the Rockies.

It was 1988 and I was recently married. My wife was, and still is, a dedicated distance runner. That summer, she was training for the Pikes Peak Marathon (she's a certified nut-case!). She somehow convinced me that running mountain trails with her would be great dry-land training for bump skiing. So on most weekends, I joined her on some trail runs.

On one run, we were climbing up a mountain side, just below treeline, on a narrow singletrack trail. As we climbed slowly, we heard a strange noise coming from around a corner ahead of us. The noise was getting louder and coming towards us FAST! We stepped off the trail and just as we did, two guys came flying down the trail on bikes. Remember, this was 1988 so they were rigid steel bikes with toe-clip pedals. These guys were having the time of their lives.

After they past, my wife looked at me and asked "What the hell was THAT?" I smiled..."those are All-Terrain Bikes!" I said. I read about them in a magazine. How cool did that look????"

The next weekend we rented a pair of Specialized Rockhoppers and rode some fire roads around the Broadmoor Hotel. Plastic pedals, thumbshifters, canti brakes, rigid forks, 3x6 gearing, and a ton of fun. I've been riding since then.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

King of Middle Earth
    Most of all I use mountain biking to get away from the civilization and back out to the beauty of our wilderness. It's also great exercise which just so happens to help keep my good cholesterol up, my bad cholesterol down, and my blood pressure lower. I rode BMX style bikes as a kid in the 70s.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ummmm honestly it was the mtb scene from the movie 127 Hours lol. I ended seeing it and decided I wanted to get into mtb. I was already into rally racing, I had gone to 100 Acre Wood rally once already and it is really cool. So I basicly have a thing for dirty outdoor sports and after saving graduation money and spending hours comparing prices and per chance they ended up making a Trek shop right by my house. so ended up doing my online research and then rode Trek 3500 and decided to get it.

Give it a crank
    I have been riding bikes forever and when mtb's with good tires came out, it became possible to ride hiking trails in half the time. Then came front suspension to ride even further, then 29ers. MTB only gets better.

mtbr member

Started young!

I started riding at a very young age. My dad customized a Schwinn girls bike so that I could reach the pedals. From there, it went from BMX to motocross. After that came my late teens,with baseball, college, cars and most importantly, GIRLS Around age 22, I started thinking of buying a bike for exercise. So, I visited my LBS and purchased a rigid GT Timberline. The first day I rode it, I tried some hairy downhill bank with a shallow "drainage" ditch at the bottom, it was one of those" Hey ya'll, check out this s*%t" moments! After picking myself up off the ground, I realized my front wheel was a little more "tucked" under the bike than before So the next day, I took it back and purchased a Schwinn High Sierra with a radical Tange front suspension with a massive 1" of travel That was the day I really fell in love with the sport of Mountain Biking! I'm 43 now and I'm still addicted to this sport!

This is me (on the left) and my brother back in the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How the hell did you get into mountain biking?-good-ol-days.jpg  

mtbr member

Re: How the hell did you get into mountain biking?

As with others ill condense best i can.

Last spring (2012) I was around 360lbs at 31 yrs old. Wasn't happy about it. We moved to a new house that happened to be close to local bike path. My son always wanted to ride (5yrs old at the time) and so I bought a cheap used bike. Started riding and realized how much I enjoyed it. But bike was a POS. So hit Walmart and got a cool looking fs 26" that was getting good reveiw among ppl that bought it. Did some upgrades etc and was really enjoying riding even solo.

Started to loose weight and feel better. Plus my son couldn't get enough we rode all over the place even 12 mile round trips north to dam and back (he was still on training wheels on a 16" transformers bike)

So i kept riding and loosing weight. Was getting bored with pavement needed a change. So found a local club that had public access singletrack trails. I was at 315lbs when i rode the first time on one of them.

I got the "bug" at that point. Rode that Walmart bike all the way till spring this year(got my trek 29er for late Xmas present but still rode the wally bike too just because). For my sons 6th bday found a trek 20" mtb for him on craigslist and went through it. Took him then to the "Take your kids mountain biking day" event the club here put on last fall. Then I got down to 300lbs.

As a reward/Xmas present my wife helped me buy a Trek Marlin 29er. Price and when i rode as a teen always wanted a Trek so wife helped make it happen. Sally bike I went through to make sure was 100% (was a great bike never had problems besides bb beaings went bad and had to replace.) And sold it to a close friend that wanted a bike that would hold his weight as he weighs what I did when i bought it.

Now I'm at 274 pounds (thought I was at 275 like a month ago but my scale was off by a few pounds) the only thing stock is frame and seat post, I commute on the bike when i can and entered my first race on rush14th of July just as a goal that i could finish a race. My son rides with me anytime we can (lives with his mom which I hate) and take him to trails now and again when one he can ride is actually open.

My bike has become a part of me now, I can't leave town for a weekend without it, and plan to buy a fatty for winter use after our new baby is born.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    As with others ill condense best i can.

Last spring (2012) I was around 360lbs at 31 yrs old. Wasn't happy about it. We moved to a new house that happened to be close to local bike path. My son always wanted to ride (5yrs old at the time) and so I bought a cheap used bike. Started riding and realized how much I enjoyed it. But bike was a POS. So hit Walmart and got a cool looking fs 26" that was getting good reveiw among ppl that bought it. Did some upgrades etc and was really enjoying riding even solo.

Started to loose weight and feel better. Plus my son couldn't get enough we rode all over the place even 12 mile round trips north to dam and back (he was still on training wheels on a 16" transformers bike)

So i kept riding and loosing weight. Was getting bored with pavement needed a change. So found a local club that had public access singletrack trails. I was at 315lbs when i rode the first time on one of them.

I got the "bug" at that point. Rode that Walmart bike all the way till spring this year(got my trek 29er for late Xmas present but still rode the wally bike too just because). For my sons 6th bday found a trek 20" mtb for him on craigslist and went through it. Took him then to the "Take your kids mountain biking day" event the club here put on last fall. Then I got down to 300lbs.

As a reward/Xmas present my wife helped me buy a Trek Marlin 29er. Price and when i rode as a teen always wanted a Trek so wife helped make it happen. Sally bike I went through to make sure was 100% (was a great bike never had problems besides bb beaings went bad and had to replace.) And sold it to a close friend that wanted a bike that would hold his weight as he weighs what I did when i bought it.

Now I'm at 274 pounds (thought I was at 275 like a month ago but my scale was off by a few pounds) the only thing stock is frame and seat post, I commute on the bike when i can and entered my first race on rush14th of July just as a goal that i could finish a race. My son rides with me anytime we can (lives with his mom which I hate) and take him to trails now and again when one he can ride is actually open.

My bike has become a part of me now, I can't leave town for a weekend without it, and plan to buy a fatty for winter use after our new baby is born.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Awesome story!! Keep pedaling bro!!

I build my own.
    I got my first mountain bike in 1964. I had been riding my cruiser off road before that. I started building trails to challenge the bike shortly after that.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DESIGNER View Post
    Hi, guys

I am working on a school project and I need your help.

I need to know what made you to realize mountain biking is so awesome and made you purchase your first MTB.

What was your motive?
    Did you have any cycling background prior to that?

I need to know!
    Any comment would help.

Thanks in advance!

C
    20 yrs ago was waiting for a friend to come home. He had a mtn bike in the backyard so I took it for a spin. Rode a trail down a hill to a dry creek with a 1' drop off into sand. I otb'd into the sand and have been hooked ever since.

Before that I had a backpacking, peak bagging, ski, mx, and bmx (never been/will be a roadie) background so mtb was a natural fit for me. In the 1990 mtb was the 'in' sport I resisted a few years before succumbing. I hate fads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I bought my first hybrid bike about 2 1/2 years ago to ride the greenways being a person who workout 5 days a week I was looking for something different for cardio so I did that for about a year so after talking to my barber about me riding the greenways his exact words everytime we talked would be "the greenways are for pussies" and my reply would be "I'm not trying to get muddy & ****" so 1 day he said if I come ride the greenway with u 1day u gone have 2 come ride the trail with me so I took him up on that offer on our first ride he showed up on his mountain bike all geared up & here I am on my specialized hybrid bike that's not really made for tuff trail riding he kept blowin past my ass leaving me here I am no gear no helmet nuthing just doing my best being that I have 2 brothers I'm automatic a competitor I did my best so the next day I went to my LBS & bought a giant talon my 1st mountain bike & got all my gear shoes & all so on our next ride he still was blowing past me using his experience. Fast forward about 3months I was riding almost everyday trying to get better so the next time we rode 3months later I rode his ass to exhaustion now that I'm hooked we don't even ride 2gether anymore he don't like riding with me because I'm so serious about this now so that's how my addiction to mountain biking started! P.S. I'm a black guy!

mtbr member
    One addition to my long story above. It's interesting when I look back at the last 25 years of cycling for me.

1988-1994: Mountain biking
    1994-1999: Road and Triathlon
    1999-2000: Road
    2000-2005: NOTHING and got fat
    2005-2006: Mountain biking and lost weight
    2006-2012: NOTHING and gained 80 pounds
    2012-Present: Mountain biking and lost 75 pounds (so far)

I'm seeing a trend...
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    It was faster than hiking.

I started on a girls bike my dad accidentally bought. (Blue angel with tassels)
    The next bike he bought me was a good Miele vulcan mountain bike which I used every day to push farther and farther from home exploring the nearby forests and ravines.

The rest is history

usually cranky
    a fs bike with all the do-dads is the coolest looking cycle. seriously, thats what got me interested.

mtbr member
    For me very simple:
    Bridgestone MB-1
    Moab
    The Whole Enchilada

I like pie.
    I used to ride a lot in college on my 10 speed road bike. I even took it on dirt roads in the 70s. Was kinda sketchy. Then I stopped riding altogether for various reasons

In 1992, we got our older son a Mtn bike. I thought i'd give it a try and loved the way it rode. So I bought my first Mtn bike; a Trek 820. And the rest is history.

What keeps me riding is I love to explore and see the sights in the backcountry. Never liked racing. I ride for my own pleasure.