Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bikes!

New question here. How hard can I ride a road bike? Come on I can't be the only one considering one?!

So I'm considering buying a road bike to try and get some extra miles in but I'm worried, I've never ridden one before and they look all flimsy! So how hard can I ride one, do they take being ridden off kerbs ok for instance. Can I rail them round corners like I would my MTB?

My riding will be between cycle paths and roads with a bit of pavement too. I'm just worried this thing is going to self-destruct under me as a mtb rider who enjoys to ride hard?

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    So I'm considering buying a road bike to try and get some extra miles in but I'm worried, I've never ridden one before and they look all flimsy! So how hard can I ride one, do they take being ridden off kerbs ok for instance. Can I rail them round corners like I would my MTB?

My riding will be between cycle paths and roads with a bit of pavement too. I'm just worried this thing is going to self-destruct under me as a mtb rider who enjoys to ride hard?

Pretty damn hard....however the wheels will fail and that hurts...so you will need to be gentle and light on the bike, until you become smooth....

Curbs even the driveway bump can taco a road wheel....now anyone with skill is gonna float over those type of bumps without a twinge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Avoid the really fast ones - a road touring bike will be much more durable (and less twitchy hopping off stuff)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

AZ
    banned
    Ride it as it was intended to be ridden and it will last a very long time.

Bikes!
    Thanks guys.

This is the bike I am interested in:

Orange Carb-O

2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You might want to look at cyclo-cross bikes. I got a KHS CX300 with two wheel sets (stock with cross tires, lighter DTSwiss with road tires) so I could swap easily.

Bikes!
    I'm looking for a distinctly different bike though, not a road bike that I can ride off-road as I'd have more fun taking one of the MTBs instead
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    My school's road team is wholly considering making our crit course this year with many corners and speed bumps. Ever taken a speed bump (or any surface crap) on a road bike at 30 MPH? You gotta bunnyhop it if you want a chance. And I fully intend on racing this road season.

If you're riding a full carbon, sub 15# road bike, you'll probably want to watch where you ride it. But for the most part, road bikes can take a lot. I have a Raleigh Grand Sport with the stock Alex wheels, and I ride it pretty roughly for a road bike. I bunnyhop stuff for fun, and I'll occasionally take it on rough dirt paths instead of the pavement. I once took it along a dirt path that parallels a paved bike path, and as I rejoined the pavement, I caught up to another cyclist who had been riding the pavement on a mountain bike. That was a bit confusing.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Bikes!
    LOL sounds like fun, I think I should make the move and add it to the stable! I don't intend to fully move to the dark side, but I don't think Anakin would argue that a bit of a dabble could be fun!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This pretty much answers your question.
    Amazing stunt riding...on a carbon road bike - YouTube

mtbr member
    If you want to ride a road bike hard, I suggest making you change to more durable tires. I own a road and mtb and my road came with racing tires. Great for smooth tracks, but sux for urban streets with pot holes, glass pieces, etc. I ride my road bike somewhat hard, though not as hard as my mtb and ever since I change to kevlar lined tires, I've been able to take it almost everywhere.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fS...e_gdata_player

If your worried watch this. I do wonder how many sets of wheels he went through.

Bikes!
    LOL I can't do that on my MTB so I doubt I'll manage on the road bike!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

mtbr member
    May 2004

I probably spend more time on my road bike then I do my mountain bike(s).

Riding off curbs might be an issue, I do it, but I've also gone through two rear wheels and maybe six spokes in the last two years. I'm a bigger guy running between 200-220 most of the time.

As for railing corners, it's easier on a road bike. At 20mph you can get a road bike over enough where the inside pedal is scrapping pavement, it's fun

Personally I'm fairly hard on my bike, I don't avoid running over things on my road bike. I just try to stay lose when I hit them.

Bikes!
    I'm around the same weight as you hence another worry. Do you guys actually think road bike help with the mountain bike riding in terms of technique as well as fitness?
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

GO JIMMIE!!
    Your not the only one considering a road bike. I hardly ride off road these days so I am thinking about getting a road bike as well.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A MTB 29er rigid with slicks on likely 2" area tyres 38mm min pretty much would take that kinda abuse and with disk brakes you don't have to constantly fix slight buckles like on a road bike.

I bought a GT Zum S2 for the above duty but liked it off road so kept upgrading it.

Forget once on a road bike and screw up going up a small kerb and wrecked rear wheel, or hit a large pot hole at speed and wrecked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've ridden my full race fit road bike off road considerable distances on single/double track, have jumped it, onto curbs, off of curbs/steps, as well and blown through the occasional pothole (though it's much better to bunny hop them), all on race tires (23c). I find road bikes to be pretty resilient.
    Looking for a RockShox Tora 302 U-Turn fork, any condition. PM me if you have one.

mtbr member
    I love my road bike, I don't rail burms nor jump off curbs. However flying down descents at 45 mph can get a bit as scarey until you get use to the speed. My bike is 15lb full carbon. it is as much fun if you can find some switch back to ride. The cross training and will help also. You can really work o your endurance, just try keeping the speed above 20 mph for over 20 miles. I can't but it can be done.
    Road bikes are a whole new ball of wax, new riding position, new muscle groups, new areo issues, new tire compounds and component upgrades. So much fun.

mtbr member
    If by hard you mean aggressive acceleration or hammering up hills, you can ride as hard as you can stand. I jacked up my ankle hammering too hard on my rode bike. The bike was fine. If you mean how fast can you go, you can go as fast as you can. I've gotten up to 55 mph on my road bike. There are plenty of people who have gone faster. You can corner as hard as you can too. That being said, you need to get a quality bike and make sure it is in good working order. If you want to actually hit bumps hard and bang the bike around, a cross bike would be a good choice. I baby my road bike in that I avoid or bunny hop pot holes, bumps, and debris.

Getting a proper bike fit is very important on a road bike due to the repetitious nature of riding one. You can really injure yourself with a poor bike fit.

I recommend carbon if you can afford it. Carbon can be made very stiff or can be constructed such that it absorbs road chatter for greater comfort. Steel and Ti have similar abilities. Aluminum is less expensive, though I don't care for the harsh ride.

OnTheTrailAgain

When I started cycling again a few years ago, I came back in on MTB's.
    I found a road bike someone was tossing out in great shape.
    I put some miles on it and it helped me out so much on trails.
    I was able to climb much better and last much longer in between breaks on the trails.
    A road bike DEFINITELY will improve your MTBing (endurance, speed, conditioning, etc...).

Living in the suburbs of NY, it was far easier for me to hit the road than to hit a trail.
    So, I found myself road biking much more and I ended up with this...

[2009 CAAD9, 16lbs., Mavic Ksyrium Elites, Full Dura Ace + Dura Ace Pedals, Fi'zi:k/FSA Cockpit]

Like you, I too was worried about their skinny tires and wondered if they'd hold up to the NYC streets and rough roads,
    BUT I put on an average of 25-30 miles per ride and have only had 2 flats in thousands of miles
    (1 was my fault, a pinch flat...I didn't air it up enough and the other was a tube failure).

Now, I'm addicted. It's my main form of cycling. Once you get a good bike up to 40mph,
    it's something you tend to enjoy and to want to do more. At half that speed it's fun.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE trail riding. Now that I've moved to the wilds of West Virginia and
    literally have some of the best trails around within minutes of me, I'm going to hit them again.
    But, I also have miles and miles of beautifully kept roads here with some nasty climbs and
    some wicked hills, so I'm definitely going to swing both ways.

Right now, I'm about 230 at 5'9" (a lot of that is muscle). I HAMMER my CAAD9 and I beat the living daylights out of it.
    Granted, it's a very custom and expensive (for me) rig, but you can get an EXCELLENT steed in the $1,200. range
    (like a CAAD10 105) and on occasion, you can pick up a well equipped carbon bike from a great manufacturer like Litespeed or Cannondale.

I'd say go for it! IMO, one can never have too many bikes and
    a road bike will compliment your MTB riding without a doubt.
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 10-17-2011 at 08:11 PM.

OnTheTrailAgain
    $2,800./US is a lot of money for a first bike (based upon your example of that Orange).
    Excellent way to step into the game!

For that much money however, you can get an Ultegra equipped bike (think XT-level)
    that'll essentially need no upgrading for years (besides possibly contact points like bars,
    saddle, etc...).

Not knocking your choice at all, but ride every brand you can get your hands on.
    Treks, Cannondales, Specialized, etc...then get the one that fits your budget
    and that fits "you" as a rider as well.

But personally, I prefer more "frame" than components so I'd suggest an entry level of the best frame
    you can afford and upgrade as needed. I did that with my CAAD9 and ended up with a monster
    of a rig and saved $1,500./US + I have a much better bike than the manufacturer offered stock.

For your budget, I'd get a Cannondale Supersix Rival if you're a Sram guy.
    It's an excellent frameset and it's a frame you can keep for years & upgrade.
    For about $250./US "less", I'd get the Supersix 105 (for me, the preferred choice):

Last edited by 2ndgen; 10-17-2011 at 07:58 PM.

OnTheTrailAgain
    double post
    mods; feel free to delete please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My carbon road bike is my favorite! On the plus side; light, fast, fun & comfortable. I have riden several centuries with out fatigue or my hands getting numb. On the minus side; no repairing a damaged frame -"replacement", have to be careful, esp transporting. 23c or 25 c tires are great on pavement, suck on everything else, even loose gravel.

You can ride a road bike hard, just have to watch for the potholes and lips. I've knocked a few MTB rims out of wack over the years as well. Hit anything to fast and to hard, somthing is going to give. If you want a road bike that you can bang around, the cyclocross bikes might worth a look.

mtbr member
    Jobst Brandt says you can, so it's ok.
    http://yarchive.net/bike/mountain_bike.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast