mtbr member
    Jul 2017

How far would you drive to purchase a used bike

I found a 2015 Santa Cruz 5010 R on Craigslist.
    The seller is asking $1750 for it.
    He's selling 2 of the same bike.
    One large and one small.
    For him and his wife.
    The listing says that the bikes were used very little and look new.
    I texted the seller and he said that he rode them 6 times around his property and he decided that mtb wasn't for him and that's the reason why he is selling them.
    The seller is located 132 miles one way.
    Google maps says that it's about 2 and a half hours away from me.
    He wrote "buyer picks up bike" in the listing so I didn't ask him to meet me a little closer,but I think I will ask.
    Do you guys think it's worth the drive?
    What would you do?

Thanks

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Depends on what kind of gas mileage you get, how much you like driving and if anything else worth doing is out there.

Seattle is abut 2.5 hours from me. I would make a trip of it if the bikes were what I wanted and a screaming deal.

mtbr member
    I'd say if you're interested in the bikes just make a day of it,,,drive over get your bikes,,grab some lunch a cool restaurant/bar,,,,trip around,,,grab some dinner on the way back

2hrs isn't that far of a drive

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    That's true.
    Well I looked on Craigslist and there's really nothing any better worth buying for me at least within 200 miles in that price range.
    Do you you guys think $1750 is a decent price for a 2015 Santa Cruz 5010?
    It looks pretty good in the pictures he has in the listing.
    I'm planning to try and do a little haggling when I get up there.
    I'm just interested in the large one btw.

Here, diagonally!
    If the bike was a good fit for me, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Before heading out, I'd want the seller to commit to not selling the bike until you get there and get a shot at them.

Sounds like a killer deal, but just keep in mind if you want to negotiate price, you are at a disadvantage after you drive out there.

Good luck!
    Banshee Prime

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'd totally do that for that bike at that pricepoint. Totally justified.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    I'd say if you're interested in the bikes just make a day of it,,,drive over get your bikes,,grab some lunch a cool restaurant/bar,,,,trip around,,,grab some dinner on the way back

Perfect plan right there. I had guy offered to meet me half way one time, nothing wrong with asking.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I drove 360 miles round trip to buy a Specialized Epic for $500. I just wanted the frame. I stripped all the parts off and sold them for $500. But I also have a company car and all my gas is paid for, so it really didn't cost me anything other than time.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    I would if it is a great deal and had the commitment from the seller holding them off for me, no commitment no travel.

mtbr member
    I drove 4 hours round trip (400 KM's) for a smoking deal on a Trek Stache a few years ago.

It has to be a deal and worth the time and gas $ to do it.

For further distances, i've had bikes shipped to me before at my own expense, including my recently purchased Haanjo.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    I drove 2 hours each way for my last bike Spec. Epic Expert. It was a fantastic deal on what turned out to be as close to brand new as you could get. I am very happy with the purchase and the drive means nothing to me now that I have my ride and money in the bank due to the great deal!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    132 miles one way is nothing. I do that on a Sunday drive. Get after it before they are gone.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    132 miles one way is nothing. I do that on a Sunday drive. Get after it before they are gone.
    Seller said that he'll be away for the Labor day weekend but he'll be back on the 6th.
    He said that that he'll hold it for me.
    We'll see.

Cycologist
    Yeah, I'd do it, "rode them 6 times around his property and he decided that mtb wasn't for him" is what you look for in a used bike!

But as said, you won't have much position to negotiate once you're there. Maybe something along "would you mind discounting it $50 since I drove all this way?" just to see if he would do it as a courtesy. But he'll know he doesn't have to.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Yeah, I'd do it, "rode them 6 times around his property and he decided that mtb wasn't for him" is what you look for in a used bike!

But as said, you won't have much position to negotiate once you're there. Maybe something along "would you mind discounting it $50 since I drove all this way?" just to see if he would do it as a courtesy. But he'll know he doesn't have to.
    Yea I know.
    Taking something off the price I guess would be OK.
    Bicycle blue book has that bike for about $1680 in excellent condition which I'm assuming that it is.
    So $1750 is not way off.

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post

Don't forget a bag full of bike locks.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    I once drove 8 hours round trip after work to pick up a $500 whitewater kayak. If it's a good deal you're not likely to find locally, why not.

I'd probably try to negotiate the price with the seller before you make the drive. Make the sale contingent upon inspecting the bike and making sure it fits you. As someone else noted, once you make the drive, seller has the upper hand on the price negotiation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    I once drove 8 hours round trip after work to pick up a $500 whitewater kayak. If it's a good deal you're not likely to find locally, why not.

I'd probably try to negotiate the price with the seller before you make the drive. Make the sale contingent upon inspecting the bike and making sure it fits you. As someone else noted, once you make the drive, seller has the upper hand on the price negotiation.
    Yea I guess you've got a point there.

One ring to mash them all
    Depends on how many cool places there are to stop and ride it on the trip home
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

mtbr member
    Had a guy drive from NC to WV to buy a bike from me.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

But as said, you won't have much position to negotiate once you're there.
    I once had a guy drive from Florida to Delaware to buy my 1967 Firebird. Once he got there he wanted to negotiate the price, that wasn't going to happen!
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    haha...he wasn't exactly in the driver's seat as far as negotiations driving that far just to buy a car.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

TRANCER
    Road trip !!!!!!!!!
    Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Depends. Are you in the northern or southern hemisphere?

If northern, then I'd not drive further than 4 times the distance of my longest annual off-road ride. And I wouldn't do it before the vernal equinox.

If southern hemisphere I'd use the same milage, but the timing would be based off the summer solstice.

Opinions may vary, but I've had nothing but success with those guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I once had a guy drive from Florida to Delaware to buy my 1967 Firebird. Once he got there he wanted to negotiate the price, that wasn't going to happen!
    I once had a guy take a train from Pasadena to San Diego to buy my 1971 CUDA. We agreed on a price on the phone before his trip. Once we met he tried talking me down, I stuck to my guns. He paid my price and drove the car back to Pasadena. The train ride down was 4.5 hours. To drive the car back was about the same.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

The White Jeff W
    Worth the drive to see the bike in person and not have to wait for it to be shipped and risk damage in transit.

Leave early, pick up the bike then ride somewhere you've never been on the way back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkpk View Post
    I found a 2015 Santa Cruz 5010 R on Craigslist.
    The seller is asking $1750 for it.
    He's selling 2 of the same bike.
    One large and one small.
    For him and his wife.
    The listing says that the bikes were used very little and look new.
    I texted the seller and he said that he rode them 6 times around his property and he decided that mtb wasn't for him and that's the reason why he is selling them.
    The seller is located 132 miles one way.
    Google maps says that it's about 2 and a half hours away from me.
    He wrote "buyer picks up bike" in the listing so I didn't ask him to meet me a little closer,but I think I will ask.
    Do you guys think it's worth the drive?
    What would you do?

Thanks
    130 Miles is the distance from my house in Phoenix to Tucson, or to Flagstaff. I've driven to both place just to ride the bike I already own.
    If the bike was something I really wanted, and the price was right, I'd think nothing of it.

As others have mentioned, I'd take the day, meet him in the morning, buy the bike and drive right to a trailhead to take it for a spin before heading home.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    130 Miles is the distance from my house in Phoenix to Tucson, or to Flagstaff. I've driven to both place just to ride the bike I already own.
    If the bike was something I really wanted, and the price was right, I'd think nothing of it.

As others have mentioned, I'd take the day, meet him in the morning, buy the bike and drive right to a trailhead to take it for a spin before heading home.
    That's true.
    All good ideas and advice.
    Thank dudes
    We'll see what happens.
    Gotta wait till next week for him to get back.

mtbr member

I'm getting the feeling there's no good deals in my state...

- I've gone about 200 miles (one way) to buy an Intense Spider 29.
    - 140 miles to buy a motorcycle, then left without it 'cuz it was grossly misrepresented in the ad.
    - 650 miles to pick up 2 bikes. That's when I learned not to drink & bid on eBay.
    - 300 miles for an old street bike.
    - 300 miles for a dirt bike.
    - 160 miles for a truck.

Most of these were panic-speed solo drives (so as not to loose time at work). The Road Trip concept sounds much more appealing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I drove 360 miles round trip to buy a Specialized Epic for $500. I just wanted the frame. I stripped all the parts off and sold them for $500. But I also have a company car and all my gas is paid for, so it really didn't cost me anything other than time.
    Im telling your boss!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ask for some high res photos detailing the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Ask for some high res photos detailing the bike.
    They've got 19 photos on craigslist showing the both bikes in detail.

mtbr member
    I once drive 123 miler for $20 SS cog. Ok not really the cog was 123 miles away, but I happened to be going through there anyway so I detoured to make it work.

driving 2 hrs seems like a long time, but it has to be put in perspective. This time of year 2 hr one way drive is a trip for me to ride my bike all day in temps below 100F. So if I have the time why not.

What it comes down to is do you have the time to spend 5hrs on the drive and $20 to $50 in gas costs? I once drove 14 hrs from Phoenix to San Francisco to look at 3 used cars. Turns out when I got there they too much of a project for me to want to take on. So it was a bust from that stand point, but we still had fun road trip out of it so it was not a waste. Still remember driving down Hwy 1 south of Monterrey in February in light rain/fog. Empty roads and a VW GTI. Fun anyway. Not sure that helps, but anyway.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I hear ya.
    Well, i've got a week off from work so i've got plenty of time to take the trip.
    I texted the owner and he's negotiable on the price so i think it'll be a worthwhile trip.

mtbr member
    About 4 years ago I saw a CL ad for a Specialized Hotrock 20. It was advertised as in excellent condition, barely used, asking price was maybe $150, if I recall. The seller said his kid grew so quickly that he ended up getting him a small 26 bike instead. The location sounded far but I wasn't sure where exactly. When I found out it was about 70 miles or maybe more, I was a bit bummed but determined to get it. I'm in LA County and the place was I think the outskirts of San Bernardino County, in the direction of Las Vegas.

Before I committed to making the trip, I ask him about the cosmetic and mechanical condition of the bike. He tried to identify any blemishes and said the bike was like new. I noticed the ad had been up for a while, probably because the bike was so far out there, I asked if he was willing to reduce the price. Although the asking price was still a pretty good deal for a like-new Hotrock, I was only willing to make the trip if it was a smoking deal. He said I could have it for $70 if I was willing to drive over. He said the bike was just sitting in his garage and would rather have it put to good use.

Anyway, I drove the 70+ miles (one way) to get the bike. Was like driving to Vegas. It was a perfect transaction, and the guy was just as nice in person as he was via email and text. The bike could pass as new. It was pristine! I gave it to my nephew for Christmas.

Btw, I took my first-gen Honda Insight, which, if I recall, gave me a 65+mpg average for the trip.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    I drove 200mi each way to pick up a used canoe I bought for about $500 (msrp was about $1100). I did that about 11yrs ago and I still have that boat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    150km drive, 2 hour ferry ride (expensive) and a drive through a busy city, one way, for a used DH bike. Totally worth it!

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Im telling your boss!!
    Meh, I don't care. He gets me coke, so we're square.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Well.
    I'm taking the drive up tomorrow morning.
    We'll see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It's done.
    Did the drive this morning.
    The guy had some trails behind his house and let me take the bike for a spin back there.
    I'm now the proud owner of a 2015 Santa Cruz 5010.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    How far would you drive to purchase a used bike-20170910_173051.jpg

mtbr member
    Good one! :0)

The way I look at it, you'll have forgotten the drive in a few days, you'll have the bike for years. I once did a round trip of just under 1'000 miles to buy a pair of speakers. Never regretted it. My son bought a bass guitar a couple of weeks ago and the seller said that a guy wanted to fly over from Germany to buy it. We're in Scotland.

A day or two traveling is nothing.

Cycologist
    Awesome, congrats. Guy had trails behind his house and he only rode it 6 times. He should be forced to move.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Awesome, congrats. Guy had trails behind his house and he only rode it 6 times. He should be forced to move.
    Yea, Seriously!!

mtbr member
    Cool outcome, congrats OP.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Cool outcome, congrats OP.
    Thanks bud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    To Knutso.

You live in Bellevue?

Glad to hear you got it done before someone else snagged it. Congrats!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Nice find!
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks
    Hit a local trail the day after I brought her home.
    Rides great except for the squeal from the front brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I drove 4 hours / 280 miles for a used Trek Emonda SL6 because it was a good deal but that's about as far as I'll go. After that it no longer becomes a reasonable day trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I drove 4 hours / 280 miles for a used Trek Emonda SL6 because it was a good deal but that's about as far as I'll go. After that it no longer becomes a reasonable day trip.
    Stay over! When I bought the speakers I mentioned I stayed in a traveloge/motel overnight and drove back up the next day. If the deal is good enough it's worth doing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    If the deal is good enough it's worth doing.
    So true! I've got a motorcycle addiction as well. Best way to get what you need (want) is to make a mini trip. My limit has been about 400 miles for driving. Fly and ride for motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo 27.5+
    2018 Niner SIR9 27.5+

Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Do you have a giant compass that you set at 280 miles out? I guess a stick with a string would work just as good.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)