robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

how do you dry out a camel back bladder?

I put an bent clothes hanger in it to keep it open, but it takes forever to get the final condensation out of the bladder and hose. If it matters, it's pre-Omega opening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-capt p

rack admirer

Freeze it

That coat hanger may leave rust marks. Try plastic if you must. If you refrigerate or drain and freeze, you won't get growth.
    MCM # 57

Bodhisattva

Camelbak has a product...

Camelbak makes a plastic expandalbe insert which slips inside the bladder and then expands allowing the bladder to dry. Works as advertised.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    I put an bent clothes hanger in it to keep it open, but it takes forever to get the final condensation out of the bladder and hose. If it matters, it's pre-Omega opening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-capt p
    just leave it hanging with it relatively open it will eventually evaporate. If you only put water in there, you wont have to deal with stuff growing. it may taste a little funky but thats only for the first couple of sips

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Camelbak makes a plastic expandalbe insert which slips inside the bladder and then expands allowing the bladder to dry. Works as advertised.
    Or you can use a pair of kitchen tongs (the kind with a spring to hold them open). Works just as well, just make sure they're aluminum or some other material that won't rust.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

some of you guys are missing my question

I'm not worried about the hanger - I've done it for 2 years w/o rust. It just seems to take forever to get the condensation out of the hose and the final condensation out of the bladder, so I can close it up and store it with my biking gear. I was just wondering if anyone had any trix. I'd try the freezer, but I'm sure to forget it and have a really pissy (and thirsty) ride!

Thanks all,

-capt p

uofabill
    Aug 2003

coat hanger should work

The elongaged coat hanger (use a painted one to avoid rust) should do the trick. You must be in a really humid area if it is not completely drying out. I have also been able to "pinch" the bladder on the sides which opens it up internally and just leave it sitting like that on a flat surface to allow it to stay open and dry. I have also used some generic effervescent denture cleaning tablets to kind of "boil out" the the inside. Cleaning crud out of the tube is harder. You can thread a weighted string through the tube then pull a small piece of bleach soaked cloth through to scrub out mildew. Or buy the Camelback specific scrub brush for that purpose.

Who are the brain police?

The freezer..

I'm not worried about the hanger - I've done it for 2 years w/o rust. It just seems to take forever to get the condensation out of the hose and the final condensation out of the bladder, so I can close it up and store it with my biking gear. I was just wondering if anyone had any trix. I'd try the freezer, but I'm sure to forget it and have a really pissy (and thirsty) ride!

Thanks all,

-capt p
    The freezer really is the best method for storing the bladder since it's basically maintenance free (u never have to use detergents etc.).

If you think you'll forget it, leave a written list with you gear. This way you won't forget the bladder or anything else. Before I did this, every now and then I'd forget something like the CB bladder, gloves, whatever...
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Maybe you should try hanging it in a window that gets alot of sun. Maybe it will accelerate the evaporation process.

I personally just open it up and stuff the hose into it and then hang it up in my closet. Not all of the water gets out of the tube, but I don't really care.

mtbr member
    my bladder is pretty old w/a large filling hole, i just turn it inside out about every 4 rides and hand wash it w/antibacterial soap, rinse a couple of times, towel/hang dry

wayne

mtbr member

I usually...

...just stuff a small dish rag into the bladder, wick up all of the water then hang it open until the next time I need it.

mtbr member
    I'm not worried about the hanger - I've done it for 2 years w/o rust. It just seems to take forever to get the condensation out of the hose and the final condensation out of the bladder, so I can close it up and store it with my biking gear.
    Thanks all,

-capt p
    Puuuleeeze. Unless you ride once a month, why are you dead worried about getting that last little vapor drop out of your tube and bladder? It's water! Maybe you'e anal? Maybe you're a germ-a-phob? OK take the mouthpiece off and swing the tube around in the air like a lasso. Some disco or country music may help, which ever you prefer.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

Map Maker

Idea! the easiest way yet

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-capt p
    I take two paper towels and ball them up and stick them into the bladder into the top corners. This holds the bladder open and soaks up all the last bits of water. Then I hang the whole thing up side down in the window so the opening with the paper towels in on the bottom. Dries completely by the next day. Once a month or so I take apart the mouth unit wash it in really hot water and clean it out with a Q-tip or two.

One thing I do when I am dumping it out, is to blow through the mouth piece as I open and dump out the camel back this seems to clear all the water.

Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Fragile - must be Italian

Screw Camelback - get a Hydrapack bladder

After years of fussing around with Camelback bladders - filling them with that dinky hole, dealing with drying them out, and dealing with leaky caps -- I decided to get a Hydrapack bladder. It was the best thing I ever did.

Since the top is completely open, they're a cinch to fill. I can actually get ice cubes into the bag using the automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator.

And since the top is completely open, you dry them out by flipping them inside-out.

Why this design wasn't introduced years ago is beyond me. It's the smartest design out there.

And if you hate the Hydrapack mouthpiece (I really like it), you can still use your Camelback one.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't. I leave it filled with water in the fridge. Never a smell. Never a problem. If it's in too long I just rinse and put in new water.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Stuff a paper towel inside...

It will absorb what's left, and if you wad it properly, it'll keep the sides apart and speed up drying.

Sidetrak HangDrys are pretty good, but the Omega makes em unnecessary

I have both

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    After years of fussing around with Camelback bladders - filling them with that dinky hole, dealing with drying them out, and dealing with leaky caps -- I decided to get a Hydrapack bladder. It was the best thing I ever did.

Since the top is completely open, they're a cinch to fill. I can actually get ice cubes into the bag using the automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator.

And since the top is completely open, you dry them out by flipping them inside-out.

Why this design wasn't introduced years ago is beyond me. It's the smartest design out there.

And if you hate the Hydrapack mouthpiece (I really like it), you can still use your Camelback one.

Thx...Doug
    I have both a hydrapack bladder and a Camelbak bladder. My hydrapack bladder is older (~4 years old now), but I got one of the new bite valves over the summer. My Camelbak bladder is pretty new (omega opening, bought last fall). So far, I like features about both of them. I don't think I've ever had to clean my hydrapack bladder. To store it, I hang it upside down and open. I do the same with my Camelbak bladder, and I haven't had any problems with it, either. My only issue with the omega opening is that it can be tough to open sometimes.

mtbr member

Don't dry it out

Don't dry it out. Blow the water from the hose, drain the bladder best you can, Place in freezer. I have been doing this for years and my c'back looks like new.

XC rider/racer

Paper Towel

Yep paper towel is certainly the easiest way I`ve found to get the bladder dry....just blow the water back thru the hose into the bladder and soak it up with the paper towel.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Here's what I do...

I stuff a paper towel in the bottom, then screw the lid on and blow it up and hang it up. Any water left on the insides of the bladder will roll down into the paper towel, usually within 24 hours. Then I deflate it, reseal it, and stow it in a closet. Works great. Water tastes fine. Bladder is mildew-free.

My bike is my happy place
    Feb 2004

I prefer the HHydraPak bladder

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    My only issue with the omega opening is that it can be tough to open sometimes.
    I'll second that. I borrowed a Camelback bladder for a few weeks and I kept having to torque the thing hard to get it to open, but it didn't take that much effort to get it closed snug. I like the opening better on the HydraPak - open the velcro and fill, then roll it back up and close the velcro. I dry it by sticking a stainless steel wisk and springy kitchen tongs inside, which holds it apart nicely. Half the time, I keep the bladder full for a week or two without drying it & have had no problems.

Side note: I had to borrow the CB bladder because my old HydraPak bladder leaked through the back. The company used to use an opaque, gray material on one side of the bladder that broke down over time and let the water bead out. They replaced mine under warranty with the new design - no more opaque material and so far no problems.
    Life is a bowl of fruit, and I am trying to not bite into the mold.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I drain most of what's in it then toss it in the fridge. I only use water and have no growth.

I used to use the freezer but if there's any water left in the tube or valve you get blockage until it thaws.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member

Don't dry it

If it's time to worry about germs I pour in some mouth wash. It's an antiseptic, right? And as a bonus I have minty-fresh breath .