Bikesexual

How do you do it?

Why not throw another topic to argue about? I lean my bike and hop on. You?

Argue

https://youtu.be/do6s2yLzus4

Mudhorse
    Some smooth bike mounting action while rocking a broken wrist there. I use Seth's recommended technique because it normally works best, but there are some occasions where I could use something fancier, such as when mounting on a steep uphill or when balanced on some precarious rocks.

I invented a great dismount technique a while back, though I'm sure I'm going to find out that people have been doing it since the 1890s. If you need to dismount then walk your bike upright on its back wheel (e.g. when passing through a labyrinthine gate) then just pop an excessive wheelie or manual and as you pass the tipping point and start to loop out plonk your rearwards foot on the ground then grab the back brake when the bike is vertical. Your frontwards foot can then be taken off the pedal at your leisure.

In my roadie youth I also invented a dismount technique that is elegant when it works, but clumsily dangerous when it goes wrong. The idea is to swing a leg over while still braking to a halt, put that foot on the ground while simultaneously removing the other foot and then trot along beside the bike until you both come to a halt. One day, however, it went horribly wrong: I was still carrying a bit too much speed but got the first foot on the ground OK, but my other foot twisted in the straps and got locked (no clipless in those days). All I could do was frantically hop alongside my bike with my legs crossed until the inevitable happened and me and the bike fell in a crumpled heap. Naturally there was an audience to this, but none of the swine had the good grace to mock me so I could just brush it off.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I start Strava, drop my dropper post, call my unleashed dog to stop harassing the other trail users and follow me, then swing a leg over carefully as to not bump the saddle (or the Awesome Strap attached to it) into my pistol.

Did I miss anything?

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I start Strava, drop my dropper post, call my unleashed dog to stop harassing the other trail users and follow me, then swing a leg over carefully as to not bump the saddle (or the Awesome Strap attached to it) into my pistol.

Did I miss anything?
    Yep, I'm still not sure what type of pedals you are using.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    Some smooth bike mounting action while rocking a broken wrist there. I use Seth's recommended technique because it normally works best, but there are some occasions where I could use something fancier, such as when mounting on a steep uphill or when balanced on some precarious rocks.
    On a serious note. Yeah having to climb back up on your bike on a steep hill is a PIA!!

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Why not throw another topic to argue about? I lean my bike and hope on. You?
    i always hope i can, yes i can i hope.

mount up is a ritual aspect of mtb'ing, it's likin to another inside sport some do, some don't do, some wish they could, but fail miserably @ crucial moments.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    i always hope i can, yes i can i hope.

mount up is a ritual aspect of mtb'ing, it's likin to another inside sport some do, some don't do, some wish they could, but fail miserably @ crucial moments.
    Uggh! Thanks fixed

Edit: at least I "hope"so!

nvphatty
    Uggh! Thanks fixed

Edit: at least I "hope"so!
    indeed.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Yep, I'm still not sure what type of pedals you are using.
    One flat, one SPD. Mount the SPD side first... Or was it the flat side first?

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    The only time I have to actively think about this is when I have my son mounted in his seat on my bike. If I am solo it is second nature.

When my son is on-board the back of his seat takes up most of the space where I would normally stand over the frame, so I have to actively remember to activate my dropper post and drop it to the lowest setting so I can stand over the bike while still on the Saddle.

How do you do it?-jak-first-trc-11.14.2017.jpg
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Co Springs
    Why not throw another topic to argue about? I lean my bike and hop on. You?

Argue
    No argument here;
    I go to an open parking lot and aim the bike at a moving train, just like that guy in the video starts off doing !!

Really though, I want your description of leaning the bike over because that's how I'd describe what I do.

My top tube is not really high but as I get older, I wanted to make it easier to do. With the bike straight up, I can and have hit the seat with my foot and a few years ago with some riders older than even ME!! - I was showing the guys how to lean the bike over at a 30 to 40 degree angle with one hand on the bar to thrown a leg over the top tube. It's much lower and easier to do so .

Then, I started getting in the habit of practicing what I was advising.
    No doubt we can argue the ways of doing it and why but as far as I'm concerned, if you get on your bike without falling on your azz, I like your style !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    This is all very complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    No argument here;
    I go to an open parking lot and aim the bike at a moving train, just like that guy in the video starts off doing !!

Really though, I want your description of leaning the bike over because that's how I'd describe what I do.
    I lean it way more than 30° then just throw a leg over it, placing my foot on the pedal, lift the bike back up, and go. Its hard to describe, as its almost a thoughtless process at this point.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    This is all very complicated.
    Only with old geo, DJ.

nvphatty
    Only with old geo, DJ.
    that'll leave a mark..

mtbr member
    Depends on the gear and incline. When riding SS, I always have the opposite pedal up, step over and onto it for a "free" pedal stroke with my full body weight behind it to get going. I'm short, and often drop the saddle first if there's not a rock or root to step off of, especially on an uphill.
    I can't see stuff on the top shelf of my kitchen cabinets unless it's at the front, either. The struggle is real..

Lean, step on left pedal, swing leg over clip in and haul ass. Why is everything so complicated in here?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    That's a good argument!

That's a good argument!
    Just our luck, all the uptight argumentative types are taking the night off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Scooter start on flat pedal cruiser, commute, whatever bike. Usually a step over and put that foot on the pedal and go for the clipless stuff.

Dismount is almost always a cyclocross leg through. Because I'm just that cool.

Co Springs
    Just our luck, all the uptight argumentative types are taking the night off.
    I can't believe you are even part of this conversation.
    We've seen your Photoshop bike images with a top tube and didn't fall for it.

It's widely known you have a STEP THRU frame !!

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

nvphatty
    Lean, step on left pedal, swing leg over clip in and haul ass. Why is everything so complicated in here?
    says the guy in a glass house throwing rocks.

nvphatty

SHE can't either,,

My little friends
    I place my left hand on the bar, and my right on the saddle. I then give the bike a hard push to get it rolling. Next, I run up behind the rolling bike, place both hands quickly on the saddle, then leap frog over the back tire, land on the saddle, and grab the bars, like a cowboy hopping on a horse from behind. Strava says that move is good for .75 seconds ON EVERY RIDE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post

Did I miss anything?
    Do you find that spandex is better than baggies?
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I'm so old and creaky I can't lift either leg more than 6 inches off the ground. So I bought some locking hinges and took a hacksaw to my frame and rigged it into a collapsible affair that I can collapse down into something I can waddle over and raise back up again.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Wurd...

Stick around if you're housebroken...

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Wurd...
    Lol..

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    I place my left hand on the bar, and my right on the saddle. I then give the bike a hard push to get it rolling. Next, I run up behind the rolling bike, place both hands quickly on the saddle, then leap frog over the back tire, land on the saddle, and grab the bars, like a cowboy hopping on a horse from behind. Strava says that move is good for .75 seconds ON EVERY RIDE!
    Does anyone find .75 seconds, way too slow? Maybe Strava is not accurate enough tough.

nvphatty
    Does anyone find .75 seconds, way too slow? Maybe Strava is not accurate enough tough.
    the stravaholes will love this.

Bikesexual
    the stravaholes will love this.
    No doubt!

mtbr member
    Nobody else slams a Dew first?
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

turtles make me hot
    Crap. I've been riding bikes for about 46 years and never gave it a thought. Now I'm going to be all disoriented while I think about mounting my bike next.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I lean it way more than 30° then just throw a leg over it, placing my foot on the pedal, lift the bike back up, and go. Its hard to describe, as its almost a thoughtless process at this point.
    Wait, you lean your bike? You can do that? Hmmmfff and all this time I've been throwing a leg over. I'll be dammed, you learn something new every day.
    One gear is all you need.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Wait, you lean your bike? You can do that? Hmmmfff and all this time I've been throwing a leg over. I'll be dammed, you learn something new every day.
    Haha! The beauty of MTBR, isn't it?

For the record, I was answering bachman's direct question.

A sissy frame with pink streamers? Who have you been talking to?

says the guy in a glass house throwing rocks.

My house, big rocks.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Crap. I've been riding bikes for about 46 years and never gave it a thought. Now I'm going to be all disoriented while I think about mounting my bike next.
    Since I'm the OP, I declare this as the winner!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Me too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Depends on the gear and incline. When riding SS, I always have the opposite pedal up, step over and onto it for a "free" pedal stroke with my full body weight behind it to get going. I'm short, and often drop the saddle first if there's not a rock or root to step off of, especially on an uphill.
    I can't see stuff on the top shelf of my kitchen cabinets unless it's at the front, either. The struggle is real..
    I'm short as well, I tend to drop my post to dis mount and mount the bike. My dropper cable broke and i almost forgot how to get on the bike. Lol

nimble biker
    this is MTBR where every action is complicated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Never thought about it that much, till now. Great, now ya'll keeping me up at night, pay back for that 99 luff ballons I guess. Run next to bike, clip in left foot. Keep pushing with right foot till I get up to speed, swing leg over bike, pedal. Need about 50 ' of flat and level. In the woods, I just walk out if I unclip or stop.

mtbr member
    I mount my bike like my horse. The only thing is its hard to get your bike to come when you whistle.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I mount my bike like my horse. The only thing is its hard to get your bike to come when you whistle.
    Like anything it takes practice.

noob bikepacker
    you guys all do it wrong ()

My way...which is the best way: I straddle the bike in the parking lot...make sure that everyone is looking at me and my hyped kit...nod and wink to the ladies...and zoom off in a cloud of gravel and smoke, busting out a 20' manual as I bomb past the trail head...

or

I get on my bike, and go...usually forgetting to close the car door so I have to turn around to do that, or forgetting to zip up my pocket so the contents fall out, or a shoelace immediately gets caught in the chainring <- yeah...that is actual "reality" for me...

dismount: usually involves some tech feature as the impetus, and then a well choreographed, patented move that involves a head-over-bars back side1440, complete with interaction with tree branches and then the ground. I have been perfecting this move for years, and practice it A LOT on the trail....
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

passed out in your garden
    To ride my bike, l roll over and say " you up for it"

always mad and usually drunk......

because GIANT
    Seth bike hakks left out a critical info

what about hows to mount bibs and vageen on byke ?
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Magically Delicious
    If you only use 29er chain lube, none of this stuff applies.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    29er chain lube? SOB I knew I was doing it wrong. How do I tell if my horse is a 29, 27.5, or 650b? I'm pretty sure I can't tell if he's fat.