mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New question here. How do I remove my crankset?

I'm trying to wrap a tube around my chainstay (to protect it) and I stupidly started at the rear of the bike, so now, I'm trying to finish it by sticking it under the previous loop, but there's very little clearance between the chainstay and the gears. The bolt in my crank arm looks like a regular allen wrench type bolt, so I tried using an allen wrench, but I can't get it to budge and I'm afraid to apply too much force because I'm not sure if I'm doing it right and I don't want to break it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What kind of crank is it? Pics?
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

duh
    which way are you turning it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I tried turning it counter-clockwise (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey) and when that didn't work, I tried it clockwise.

I'm not sure if this pic helps at all. I'm a noob, so I'm not really sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I remove my crankset?-uploadfromtaptalk1352096281571.jpg  

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    You'll need a tool like this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    But according to that video, I have to remove the bolt first, how do you know what's under the bolt? And I just need to apply more force to get the bolt off? I won't break it?

'11 Opus Strat
    IMHO, Take it to your LBS. I've been dinking around with bikes all my life, but just recently really picked it up as a hobby/sport/etc. And one thing I will NOT DO is work on my bike as of now, I am to inexperienced and not only that, I do not have the proper tools either to play bike mechanic. Keep hitting up the forums, ask questions, watch videos, etc etc. and soon enough you will have some workmanship skills under your belt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari353 View Post
    But according to that video, I have to remove the bolt first, how do you know what's under the bolt? And I just need to apply more force to get the bolt off? I won't break it?
    You only have a few options when it comes to bottom brackets, and whenever you see a bolt like that on the drive side, you either have an ISIS, Octalink or Square Taper bottom bracket. Generally speaking you will need a crank removal tool, especially if it's square taper.

Those bolts are not reverse threads, so since you turned it clockwise, you actually tightened it even more.

But, I would take it to a LBS now. Personally, I would use a breaker bar to leverage the bolt off, but since you are a newbie, just take it in.

Why didn't you just buy a $10 velcro chainstay protector? Now you're looking at an expensive ordeal with shop labor.

Don't be afraid of bike wrenching, though. Learn how to do it, because the day you're stuck on the trail because of a mechanical and looking dumbfounded, you will have wished you took the time to learn.

mtbr member
    Do yourself a favor and invest in a copy of Park Tool's BBB (Big Blue Book) and/or Zinn's guide, then read it carefully a couple of times before doing any wrenching on your bike. Even though it isn't rocket science, some of the parts are gonna require special tools, and some of them have specific torque requirements upon installation.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

duh
    It sounds like some one put to much torque on the bolt in the first place. Point the crank arm to the rear of the bike, put in the allen key so it is just above the arm so you can put your hand around both. now with two hands squeeze the two together. But be careful and do it slowly. If that doesn't work try using a clamp to squeeze the two together. Just don't over do it because you don't want to strip the head of the bolt.

If you are nervous of stripping the bolt then take it to the lbs like others have suggested.

mtbr member
    You need to hit the shop regardless, that crank ain't coming off without a puller.

Tom

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Agree with all of the above. I'd also add that crank bolts often come installed with loctite, so it does take some torque to break them free.
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My dad was able to get the bolt moving. It was just on really tight. And there was that square thing under it that requires the crank puller tool. Anyway, I decided that even with the crank off, the angle wouldn't work well, so I unwrapped the whole thing and I started at the crank end, wrapping down towards the rear of the bike and it's working MUCH better this way. I was just about to finish it when I had to leave this morning

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by THE ARS View Post
    You need to hit the shop regardless, that crank ain't coming off without a puller.

Tom
    If one wants to work on their own bike the crank pullers are inexpensive item. Probably cheaper then what the shop charges.

mtbr member
    Most of the tools aren't expensive or hard to find, it's just knowing what to do with them, with how much force, and how often is the part that requires a bit of learning. I will repeat my earlier recommendation; buy a copy of Park Tool's BBB and/or Zinn's before doing any other wrenching. $20 now can and will save you God only knows how much money and frustration later in not ruining parts with improper torque spec's, or wrong installation or removal, not to mention it'll save a lot of time with figuring out what tools you need, what parts are, where they go and how they go there.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Im not understanding why wrapping the stay with a tube requires removal of the crank to begin with. I didnt have any issues with mine.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

BoatMike
    If ever in doubt about anything...GOOGLE,GOOGLE,GOOGLE!!!! BEFORE you touch a thing. You Tube usually has a video that will walk you through just about everything in great detail, including what tools you will need to get. Then after you've seen what's involved you can make an informed decision on whether you will try it or take to your LBS.

I've got blisters on my fingers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    Im not understanding why wrapping the stay with a tube requires removal of the crank to begin with. I didnt have any issues with mine.
    That is a very valid point. Turn the crank and your going to gain about as much space up to the BB as you would from removing the crank.