mtbr member
    Sep 2011

How to clean off 5.10 stealth rubber off frame?

I have ridden with 5.10 impacts and free riders for the last year and a half and love the shoes but I have a white frame that looks like it has been through a war because all the sole scuff marks on it. I have tried goo gone, simple green, acrysol (paint prep solvent), and a couple other things with no success. Anyone have any ideas on how to clean it off without damaging the paint or clear coat? It's a white painted Santa Cruz frame. I wouldn't care about such things but I am selling the bike.

High Gravity Haze
    Try some toothpaste on a really soft piece of cloth and gently try to rub the marks off with that. If that's too slow, you might pick up a container of rubbing compound at your local car parts shop and work the marks off using that.

*Note: toothPASTE, not toothgel or products labeled "gel toothpaste". Toothpaste is generally more abrasive than than any of the gels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Try some White Lightning in an inconspicuous area (BB shell). If it doesn't damage the finish, go to town. Use a terrycloth towel to scrub it.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I used a buffing wheel on a drill and with some polishing compound to get 5.10 marks off my SC. Took a little bit of work, but removed the rubber without damaging the finish.

I wouldn't use rubbing compound as it's more abrasive and might scuff up the clearcoat. Same with toothpaste.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would try some rubbing alcohol, it takes off just about anything and you dont have to worry about it messing up your paint.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had a white bike once. Never again, way too hard to keep clean and over time it kind of gets "stained" by the dirt and other things. I don't know if anything looks as nice as a white frame when new, but as you use it it gets dirty/looks nastier a lot quicker than anything else.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thats true, I prefer black or gray bikes they are a lot easier to keep looking new.

mtbr member
    Try Oops! multipurpose spray cleaner.

Make sure you get the kind that's not for removing paint. That and a bit of elbow grease with a non-abrasive pad should take it right off. The stuff is awesome to get all sorts of things off other things around your garage and house

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec7 View Post
    Try some toothpaste on a really soft piece of cloth and gently try to rub the marks off with that. If that's too slow, you might pick up a container of rubbing compound at your local car parts shop and work the marks off using that.

*Note: toothPASTE, not toothgel or products labeled "gel toothpaste". Toothpaste is generally more abrasive than than any of the gels.

this all the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Ok...a report back on this. The polishing compound that I picked up at the auto parts store was the ticket. It still took effort but it worked great. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Test it on an inconspicuous spot at first of course?

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Have any before/after photos?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

How to clean off 5.10 stealth rubber off frame?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362152357.902110.jpg
    Here is an after pic. I don't have any before pics that are not muddy but it was all over the rear swingarm.

mtbr member
    Weird - my big ol' Freeriders rubbed the paint OFF my Bandit frame... O.o
    Time wounds all heels...