mtbr member
    Last edited by Pete Hagyo-Kovacs; 06-23-2014 at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Honor them all.

duh
    ^n he gots the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You guys have reached for a new low.

Your Best Friend
    Unless you contact each of the fallen Soldiers families, there is no way to find out what their personal interests were. The military doesn't track that kind of info. To add, the fallen Soldiers families would most likely NOT appreciate a phone call asking about their Soldier. It's a good sentiment you have but you should find a different way.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Last edited by Pete Hagyo-Kovacs; 06-23-2014 at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    While I admire the desire to honor them, you are marginalizing a large segment of the fallen through your desire of exclusivity. I'm sure that is not your intent, but it is the result.

duh
    Why not contact the authority that takes care of your trails and see if they will rename one of the trails in a way that honours all the soldiers that served.
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You guys have reached for a new low.

mtbr member

Re: Honoring Fallen Soldiers who were Mtn Bikers

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Why not contact the authority that takes care of your trails and see if they will rename one of the trails in a way that honours all the soldiers that served.
    this is a great idea.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Kind of a sick idea (but not in a good way). The soldier's families won't know and if they did why would they care? Maybe you could also find out which dead soldiers shared your taste in music, politics, and food and put their names on your bike.

If I were in the military I would get sick of all the slobbering BS and empty "support the troops" rhetoric. If you really care, try to do some actual good for the ones that come back with PTSD or injuries instead.

mtbr member

Re: Honoring Fallen Soldiers who were Mtn Bikers

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Maybe you could also find out which dead soldiers shared your taste in music, politics, and food and put their names on your bike.
    He obviously means well, maybe a little misguided, but you don't have to be a douche...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    +1

Or even better yet, rather than renaming an old trail, get out there and build a new one!

mtbr member
    Last edited by Pete Hagyo-Kovacs; 06-23-2014 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hagyo-Kovacs View Post
    ] But in the end I guess it's a human thing...sorry for being self centric. "I marvel at the resilience of the Human Race. Their best characteristic is their desire to thrive. No other species has such an obsession with living" - tiretracks
    Peace.

mtbr member
    Last edited by Pete Hagyo-Kovacs; 06-23-2014 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm a Vet, are you? That's right, no, you're not. No one can stop you from you're own poor taste and insensitivity but do not profess to tell me ANYTHING about being a Vet or how to honor the fallen. And in this case, you are not a part of "we", so I would prefer (strongly) that you quit using that collective in this conversation. Really.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    I'm a Vet, are you? That's right, no, you're not. No one can stop you from you're own poor taste and insensitivity but do not profess to tell me ANYTHING about being a Vet or how to honor the fallen. And in this case, you are not a part of "we", so I would prefer (strongly) that you quit using that collective in this conversation. Really.
    Why the hostility?

I happen to think the OP's idea is silly, unnecessary, and borderline patronizing and I am perplexed why anybody, out of the blue, would feel it necessary to add any more adulation of the military to our society.

There is plenty of it already and it is becoming a little too much, almost unseemly.

But I'm sure he's sincere.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Why the hostility? I happen to think the OP's idea is silly, unnecessary, and borderline patronizing and I am perplexed why anybody, out of the blue, would feel it necessary to add any more adulation of the military to our society. There is plenty of it already and it is becoming a little too much, almost unseemly. But I'm sure he's sincere.
    The hostility stems from the OP's decision to play a race card in an attempt to portray himself as a more caring individual, a completely classless maneuver especially from someone that has not even served yet attempts to call everyone else's "honor" into question. That's why there is hostility. When he has been in the shiitt he can point fingers at others, until then he is sitting this one out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I missed where he played the race card. All I got was that he called a bunch of Navy Seals "losers."

mtbr member
    First off, "losers" was sarcasm (obviously). In fact, I don't think there are any soldiers I respect more than the Navy Seals, but I honor all soldiers who have served, and the memory of those who gave their lives. I seek to be a man of integrity, if I fall short, I'll try harder.

So to complete this thread, in the end I opted for supporting this foundation and displaying their stuff on my mtn bike gear to "Honor the Fallen": Honor The Fallen Foundation - Remembering our Fall Heroes Always

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    why anybody, out of the blue, would feel it necessary to add any more adulation of the military to our society.

There is plenty of it already and it is becoming a little too much, almost unseemly.

But I'm sure he's sincere.

As a Vet, i have 'been there-done that' and got the T-shirt to prove it. Every time i see anything about supportig our troops or something that's done in the honor of our Fallen Heros, i think of it truly as a blessing because of as much **** as we went through, there are still people who care about us and who are looking out for us. There is NEVER 'plenty of it already' and it will NEVER 'becoming a little too much'.

I'm all for renaming or building new trails in the name of Memorial Trails. If we can do this with office buildings, why not bike trails?