mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Homemade Protein and Energy Bar Recipes?

Evening all. My wife is pregnant with our second baby girl (first is 19 months) which has me cooking more often than before. So I am thinking, while I am at it, why not cook up some protein bars/energy bars/healthy snacks for aly (first girl) and for rides? Well, that's as far as I got since I don't know how and do not have any recipes for any. Could you guys and gals help me out on recipes, heating/cooking instructions? Thanks for any and all help!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I don't know about cooking up a batch, but here is another alternative I've used in place of the typical energy bars..
    Head to Trader Joes in Pleasanton, Danville, or Castro Valley...
    Purchase some of their Trader Joes Cranberry Walnut Bread (perhaps its Cranberry Nut)
    and cut some nice slices........place in plastic bag.....and eat while on rides.
    I love that bread and its very moist....with lots of calories and enough protein.
    A nice alternative to the "candy bar" type of snack and probably more healthy as well as cheaper per 250 calories.
    Anyway, if you don't like it as a snack bar substitute, then just use it for toast, with jam...
    Its very good in that department especially if you cook it til its a bit crisp..
    BTW, when I use it on my rides, I don't toast it.

Oh but if you want to cook something, look at this bunch
    http://www.recumbent-bikes-truth-for...m/recipes.html

Here is one from a Princeton University MS..RA (registered dietician)......says its only 25 cents per bar in cost
    http://facilities.princeton.edu/Dini...tchen10_03.htm

Hey, if you want lots of choices.......Google---- homemade "energy bars"
    that will give you heaps of recipes.

mtbr member

Recipes

I was watching food tv with my daughter as we do most of the cooking. The S/O is seeking her nursing degree. We ran across these recipes. Sorry for the length have them in a .doc format.

Protein Bar:
    4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup
    2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
    2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
    3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 ounces raisins, approximately 1/2 cup
    2 1/2 ounces dried cherries, approximately 1/2 cup
    3 ounces dried blueberries, approximately 1/2 cup
    2 1/2 ounces dried apricots, approximately 1/2 cup
    1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
    1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
    4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
    2 large whole eggs, beaten
    2/3 cup natural peanut butter
    Canola oil, for pan
    Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.

Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.

In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Granola Bar:
    8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, approximately 2 cups
    1 1/2 ounces raw sunflower seeds, approximately 1/2 cup
    3 ounces sliced almonds, approximately 1 cup
    1 1/2 ounces wheat germ, approximately 1/2 cup
    6 ounces honey, approximately 1/2 cup
    1 3/4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/4 cup packed
    1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries
    Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks guys!! that bread is yummy chester. i have to see how it fits into my paleo for athletes/precision nutrition/slacker wannabe lean diet. nice link too
    navymtbr...i will write those down and see if i cant come up with something to how that should look and taste. thanks again

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Heres a lil "goo pack" recipe. Take pb & honey & stir together until you have the consistancy of goo or toothpaste. Spoon it into a "ziploc" baggie, then put that into another "ziploc" baggie. When your out on th' trail or anywhere else, take it out, open the 1st baggie & take the baggie w/th' goo in it out. Then bite a mall corner off of the baggie w/the goo in it. Do not throw the trash on the ground. Squeeze the goo out off the pack into your mouth. After you've had enough, sqeeze the goo back away from the hole, then zip the baggie back up and stick it back into the 1st baggie & zip it to keep it from getting all over your stuff in your Camelbak or pocket. PB&J's are as good as anything else for me.

Enjoy.
    asymmetrical
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Jumps Stumps

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    gjabo just busted with a nice link...thanks!!
    man w/one hand....back years ago my mom would buy pb in little single serving packets. back then i didnt ride like i do now but if i could find those again....man-o-man
    thanks