mtbr member

Homebrew electrolyte

I was looking over the ingredients on a bottle of chewable electrolyte tabs ($14 for 30 tabs) at a health food store, and then wandered down the supplements aisle, and was able to find all the same ingredients in powder supplement form for about $13, which should net me around 200 servings. This way I can just add a small scoup to my water, and flavor it in any way I choose, and control the amount of sugars as well.

The commercial chewable electrolyte tabs have roughly 6-10% of the RDA of each main ingredient: Calcium, Magnesium, Chloride, and Sodium. Potassium is quite a bit less at only about 1%.

The first product I bought was a Calcium & Magnesium powder supplement, which contains 50 servings, but supplies 50% RDA calcium and 100% RDA magnesium. This could easily be stretched out to 200 servings and still provide a bit more than the tabs.

The second product I bought was a Potassium powder supplement, which contains 100 servings, but supplies more than double the RDA of the chewable tabs. This could easily be stretched out to 200 servings and still provide a bit more than the tabs.

The only remaining ingredients are Sodium and Chloride, which are conveniently both taken care of with ordinary table salt. I'll probably opt for some natural sea salt for the additional trace minerals available.

Then to add a little flavor, you could squeeze in some lemon or lime, or maybe add some koolaid mix along with your favorite sweetener. I prefer the all-natural calorie-free Stevia sweetener, but there are lots of options.

So instead of paying 50 cents a serving or even much more for some pre-packaged gunk, and getting stuck with tons of sugar, additives, and who knows what else, you could simply make your own for only about 15 cents per serving, know exactly what is in it, and flavor it just how you like.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homebrew electrolyte-pict1209.jpg  

Former Bike Wrench
    I've been making my own for a couple of years

http://mtnbiker72.blogspot.com/2009/...drink-mix.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I've been making my own for a couple of years

http://mtnbiker72.blogspot.com/2009/...drink-mix.html
    Nice mix, although I might recommend adding calcium and magnesium to the formula. I just went with the basic 5 that seem to be predominant in most of the major sports drinks and electrolyte products.

is buachail foighneach me
    Nicely done!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I wonder if you could add a little protien powder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofshin
    I wonder if you could add a little protien powder.
    Yea you could definitely do that for a post-workout shake or drink. During rides, I prefer to stick to just a basic water + electrolytes drink, with maybe the occasional energy gel if I need a boost, so my stomach only has to process as little as possible during rigorous exercise. Even though many commercial sports drinks claim that protein is necessary during a workout, there have been several studies that show it has little benefit, such as this article.