Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I hate that name.
    I love the bashwich concept- simple and effective. Unfortunately, the inner plate (at least the one I've got) won't work on the frames I've tried it on- Trek Rumblefish and Stache.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    No dude, I don't think that's how things work.

MRP has to be constantly developing new products to keep up with new technologies. That isn't free. They have to pay a number of people who are all professionals. They aren't ripping people off and what they develop is a representation of their time, so they're going to charge you for their time.
    They do it to make money ... If people wouldn't pay crazy prices, they'd stop spending all their money on hype-marketing.

How much is a chain tensioner for a motorcycle ?
    The solution was developed decades ago

2012 SRAM PG - 1050 PG-1050 POWER GLIDE II 10 speed
    Dang these are cheap ... The OP nailed it ... Expensive, for what it is.
    Last edited by bikeabuser; 01-27-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Hmmmm?
    Thats too bad Shig.
    Mine works great!
    Maybe not compatible with all bikes?
    I just found it to be a pointless and totally unnecessary thing to have on the bike.

It did not cause problems, other than the extra drag (a BIG issue), but did not solve any either.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Is funny to spend money to have less (3x10 to 1x10). I did it by the way. You can find Chain guides for under $100 easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ride a 5 inch full suspension mountain bike with Faux Bar suspension design (actually my fork is closer to 5 1/2 inches). I ride very aggressively at places such as Bootleg Canyon and the Bike Parks. I've been using these two together and haven't dropped a chain.

Name:  mrp 1x.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  12.1 KB

Holy crap chain guides are expensive.-stinger.jpg

The MRP 1X can be found for $33.45 at BikeStop.

MRP 1x 32-40t Guide BB Mount Black @ eBikeStop.com

The Stinger for $23 at PricePoint:

Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide at Price Point

Total cost $56 before shipping for both.
    Last edited by osmarandsara; 01-30-2013 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm a big Origin8 fan, and they've got a guide I'm planning to order up that's less than $50... The Torq Lite UL guide. ORIGIN-8 and see it under the tab for derailleurs. Also have a newer model, the Ultim8 that looks to be light and simple, but I don't have a price as of yet.
    Riding the Geese since '98! Check out my youtube videos at www.youtube.com/mongoosejake

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    They do it to make money ... If people wouldn't pay crazy prices, they'd stop spending all their money on hype-marketing.

How much is a chain tensioner for a motorcycle ?
    The solution was developed decades ago

2012 SRAM PG - 1050 PG-1050 POWER GLIDE II 10 speed
    Dang these are cheap ... The OP nailed it ... Expensive, for what it is.
    dang dude making statements like that make you sound really cheap. What do you do, not try to make any money? And really, that's an insult to a lot of bike companies. They do it because they want to develop products that they love and it just so happens they need to sell them to keep up what they're doing. It's like the guys at Straitline-they were developing things and to keep up their habit they had to sell things. What do you know, now people love their stuff. Sure, they'd love to make a bank roll, but I don't know about anyone at MRP making more than six figures-yet.
    comparing motorcycle crap to bike crap is the two-wheel enthusiasts version of comparing apples to oranges. this you should also keep in mind: the fact that they have had chain tensioners for motorcycles for decades reflects that they have had room to also become cheaper. the people who need them know about them. they got them to a certain weight and now people aren't interested in shedding a few little grams and so major development of them stopped.
    on the other hand, cyclists love shedding whatever grams they can. And so, MRP is releasing a G3 guide with a carbon backplate pretty soon. What other companies are doing that? None that I know of. So yeah, they will need to market that. And yeah, people are going to want to buy it. Is supply and demand really that mystifying to you? we live in a world where people upgrade their smart phone more than twice a year, sometimes four times before they're elligible for their upgrade. you're making a stab at a huge entity, a really tiny stab directed at just a part of that entity.

my G3 mini and bling ring will be here later today. I'll get it installed and will go ride plenty this weekend. It's going to be sweet.

banned
    Aug 2012
    dang dude making statements like that make you sound really cheap. What do you do, not try to make any money? And really, that's an insult to a lot of bike companies. They do it because they want to develop products that they love and it just so happens they need to sell them to keep up what they're doing. It's like the guys at Straitline-they were developing things and to keep up their habit they had to sell things. What do you know, now people love their stuff. Sure, they'd love to make a bank roll, but I don't know about anyone at MRP making more than six figures-yet.
    comparing motorcycle crap to bike crap is the two-wheel enthusiasts version of comparing apples to oranges. this you should also keep in mind: the fact that they have had chain tensioners for motorcycles for decades reflects that they have had room to also become cheaper. the people who need them know about them. they got them to a certain weight and now people aren't interested in shedding a few little grams and so major development of them stopped.
    on the other hand, cyclists love shedding whatever grams they can. And so, MRP is releasing a G3 guide with a carbon backplate pretty soon. What other companies are doing that? None that I know of. So yeah, they will need to market that. And yeah, people are going to want to buy it. Is supply and demand really that mystifying to you? we live in a world where people upgrade their smart phone more than twice a year, sometimes four times before they're elligible for their upgrade. you're making a stab at a huge entity, a really tiny stab directed at just a part of that entity.

my G3 mini and bling ring will be here later today. I'll get it installed and will go ride plenty this weekend. It's going to be sweet.
    I've made plenty of money over the years designing mechanical parts for the aviation/aerospace industry
    Darn near everything is lightweighted in that industry ... But the wheel is never reinvented !!!

Supply and demand is not a mystery ... People are demanding to spend their money on solutions to problems that do not need to exist, and suppliers are happy to oblige those people.
    Suspensions, frames, and shifters are a different story ... That's where R&D is needed and used to develop improvements.

Read what Shiggy wrote above ... I believe him.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara View Post
    I ride a 5 inch full suspension mountain bike with Faux Bar suspension design (actually my fork is closer to 5 1/2 inches). I ride very aggressively at places such as Bootleg Canyon and the Bike Parks. I've been using these two together and haven't dropped a chain.

Name:  mrp 1x.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  12.1 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stinger.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	757055

The MRP 1X can be found for $33.45 at BikeStop.

MRP 1x 32-40t Guide BB Mount Black @ eBikeStop.com

The Stinger for $23 at PricePoint:

Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide at Price Point

Total cost $56 before shipping for both.
    I only use the MRP guide on my 29er and I haven't dropped a chain yet even with a long derailleur. It's a hardtail, but my conversion was less than 40 with shipping.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmongooserider View Post
    I'm a big Origin8 fan, and they've got a guide I'm planning to order up that's less than $50... The Torq Lite UL guide. ORIGIN-8 and see it under the tab for derailleurs. Also have a newer model, the Ultim8 that looks to be light and simple, but I don't have a price as of yet.
    Would you have a prefered supplier for the origin8 gear?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    look for a used one. I found mine on PB for 50 less than new. It was dirty but it works

mtbr member
    I recently went through this dilemma with a new bike build. Built a 1x10 with a Zee derailleur. I tried really hard not to spend 160.00 on a good guide system but ended up pulling the trigger on the Blackspire DER guide. No moving parts and it fits my 32t chainring perfect. It took me a long time to swallow the $160.00 cost - especially knowing what Blackspire is selling them for in the OEM market.

Fwiw, the Blackspire DER guide is a set and forget item. Now that I have it, I wouldn't buy any other guide out there.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Holy crap chain guides are expensive.

DER is a great guide. Blackspire does a good job. I went with MRP and their G3 mini because of a few reasons. 1. my successful experience on their 2x guide, 2. I ordered a bling ring for my X0 cranks and thought I would match them. It's also a killer setup. I had to help install a DER for someone who didn't get the change in offset of their chain line; but overall that guide is cool.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    yeah it's kind of a bummer. I've got an X0 drivetrain with an MRP 2x guide and I love it-but just three days ago I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a 36t bling ring and a G3 Mini guide. Another $240 out the door, but hey-it is what it is.
    Interested in selling me your 2x to recoupe some of your money?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauffy View Post
    Would you have a prefered supplier for the origin8 gear?
    Most local bike shops can get Origin8 products (Origin8 is distributed by JBImporters), but if you don't have a shop nearby, Amazon.com is the online source. I get mine at my favorite shop personally, as he stocks a ton of Origin8 gear.
    Riding the Geese since '98! Check out my youtube videos at www.youtube.com/mongoosejake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2