I didn't do it

Hitch rack opinions

I'm thinking about getting a hitch mounted bike rack but I would like to get some feedback before I do this. One of my main concerns is security. It's not like I'm going to leave the bikes on the rack overnight or anything like that but I was wondering how secure are bikes when locked into a hitch rack?

It also seems like they may obscure the license plate, which can get you pulled over in some parts. Has anybody actually had this happen to them for this reason?

If anybody has general thoughts or opinions please chime in.

TIA

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a Swagman XTX2 that I've been using for the past year, which is fairly inexpensive compared to some options. Nothing fancy, but it's worked well, even carrying two bikes.

Also have a 1UpUSA aluminum rack, which is nice because the bike is held in to the rack by braces that go over the tires. So you don't have anything rubbing or clamping down on your bike frame and maybe marring the paint. It is not a cheap rack by any means, especially if you want to carry more than one bike.

There are a plethora of choices....

Your Best Friend

Re: Hitch rack opinions

Big threads on this topic in "Car & Biker".
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a Yakima rack, I think we got it for around $200... But it's really good, we bought it for 5 bikes and it does a pretty darn good job. I know that you can use a bike lock to secure it. About the whole license thing, don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No bike is really secure, even inside your own garage. Most of us just get a cable lock and lock the bike to the car, you could go overboard and get one those $100 boron carbide chains to secure the bike to the car.

I live in SoCal and have never been pulled over but in Utah once got pulled over for obscured plate, I think the cop was just profiling me. Maybe post on your regional board here and see what others have experienced.

Another vote for the 1up

mtbr member
    Yeah, go check it out in car and biker, otherwise known as " the 1up section ". Don't waste your time because those dudes just completely took it over and if you have anything else, you're getting bashed.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

change is good
    Sep 2004

Hitch rack opinions

I had a Thule T2 a few years ago and it was a very good rack. The reason 1upusa fanboys are so passionate about their racks is because they are so good. Two of my friends bought 1up racks after seeing mine. However, there are many fine racks out on the market. I use a cable lock only in low crime areas. In less secure areas, I use a NY chain and U lock and use the cable to secure the seat.

mtbr member

Hitch rack opinions

I use a Thule T2. It has been a nearly permanent fixture on the back of my truck for the last three years now. Never had an issue with the license plate, even when pulled over for other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

EMR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've had a kuat nv for the past year... No complaints. Built in lock, but if I have to leave the bike for an extended period of time (food after a ride) I drop another lock on the bikes. Built in repair stand, cool feature which I didn't think I would use, but has come in handy a few times. No issue with the license plate or cops. I have this on a wrx and I can still open my hatch with plenty of clearance when the rack is folded closed, and with bikes, the rack drops down for easy access.

Best part of this rack, or any hitch rack, is after a long day of dh (or any ride), I don't have to try and throw 40lbs onto my roof, easy on and off.

I didn't do it
    Thanks for the info, this is helpful input. I didn't even know about the car and biker forum, so I'll head over there where I'm sure there will be a ton of information and opinion.

mtbr member
    Kuat NV!