mnt bike laws of physics

Hip/thigh Padding...Crash Shorts

I am looking for comfortable XC crash shorts that will protect my hips and outer thigh. I didn't post in the downhill forum where most info about pads are because those guys don't have to pedal up for long distances and would't know about comfort in that regards.
    If anyone has any experience with a particular brand, I would appreciate any knowledege you could pass on....thanks

TNC
    noMAD man
    Same issue for me. I found that the inserts in most of my MX dirt motor pants are perfect for mountainbiking. These pads are about the right size, and they have a velcro tab in the upper center of the pad. I haven't found a pair of MTB shorts yet, lycra or baggies, that they won't install to. The inner of every short I've seen has some kind of spandex or lycra that the velcro tab will adhere to without sliding down. I've used this type of pads for years, and they're very effective without being a large, hot, bulky setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mnt bike laws of physics
    Cool and thanks for the pics TNC.

Those black ones look like they would work good. Where did u purchase those?

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Spyder makes (or made, not sure if they're still offered) "freeryde" bike shorts that have that built in gel-type material that hardens on impact. I have no clue if it actually works or not, though. I was thinking about picking up a pair at the local Spyder outlet, but even there they wanted almost $100 for the shorts.

[edit]

here's a picture:
    Last edited by RoyDean; 04-26-2009 at 03:48 PM.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Cool and thanks for the pics TNC.

Those black ones look like they would work good. Where did u purchase those?
    You can get them as an accessory for dirt motor riding pants at most motorcycle shops. They usually don't have them in store stock, but their wholesale parts suppliers like Parts Unlimited, Tucker-Rocky, and others have them.

...idios...
    The Fox Launch liner (link) ) is what I use. They're comfortable enough to forget about, even on long climbs.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Try Bohn adventure shorts. It's very hard to get "hip" (the part that old people break) protection due to it's obvious articulation.

Easy to come by for around $85. I use them snowboarding (tailbone protection), motorcycling (had a nice "down" with them on, was wearing abrasion resistant pants and survived without so much as a bruise), and downhilling. They stay in place, are thin so you won't be sweating your balls off, easy to clean (armor fits in little pockets, pull out armor, throw in wash), and there is a mesh spot at your nuts for added cooling. They basically protect your thighs, hip (uh, above the rotating part of your hip) and tailbone (that part is double-thick). I wear them as underwear, and will wear them over my padded underwear when I am doing AM type stuff, then wear whatever you want overtop (pants, shorts, anything to make you not look like the guy in the above pic). The padding sortof absorbs shock, if I put the padding on the cement ground and punch it, my knuckles don't hurt ... it feels weird, almost like a more dense version of those memory foam beds.
    Last edited by ettore; 04-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Crash Shorts: To get, or not to get...

A while back I thought about getting a pair. I am functional type of guy, and if I were looking for padding, I wouldn't skimp for comfort. The purpose for padding is to keep you from bleeding (too much), not to keep you feeling like you are riding directly behind an AC unit.

If I were an XC rider [QUOTE]I am looking for comfortable XC crash shorts[/QUOTE ], and wanted comfort, but also wanted to feel safe that I would be ok in an unintentional dismount (ie eat dirt), I would tone down my riding style, ride different trails, or take it back to basics and work on balance, picking the best line, etc... That way I wouldn't eat dirt as much, and I would maintain my comfort level.

In my own search for the best protection, I found Dainese makes an, "MTB Impact Short." They have the most padding, and the short is made of mesh. However the msrp is a bit hefty, $150. http://www.dainese.com/us_en/multisp...t.html?cat=104

Beyond Bikes, a local San Diego, CA retailer, sells them, online too, for 10% off the msrp. My buddies and I have had mixed customer service/shipping results from them, but they tend to have good prices. http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...P&MatrixType=1

If you do decide to go with TNC's MX pads, you may want to sew some more velcro on them, or find a pair of baggies that have pockets for inserting such pads. In a fall, depending on the fall, I would be a bit leery of a single velcro tab keeping a pad in place, and effectively protecting you. Also, I would expect the velcro to wear over time, and eventually fall out of your shorts while on a ride, due to friction from your legs. If they work TNC, wonderful. But I have my doubts. Also, to temper this, there is no sense in hanging a picture frame with a 20 lb sledge...

In my own search, I ended up staying cool, toning it down, and not wearing crash shorts. It has worked for me so far.

Good Luck in your choice.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    Spyder makes (or made, not sure if they're still offered) "freeryde" bike shorts that have that built in gel-type material that hardens on impact. I have no clue if it actually works or not, though. I was thinking about picking up a pair at the local Spyder outlet, but even there they wanted almost $100 for the shorts.
    Those look very nice...the cheapest i found them was $175
    That is making $100 sound pretty good.