mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Hill People Gear Frame Bag Group Buy

Hey guys,

I just want to see if anybody is interested in a mini group buy for these Hill People Gear frame bags. It's difficult to find bags that fit full suspension bikes, but this one is specifically designed for mountain bikes and should work with a lot of our frames. It's just the right size for a trail-side repair kit with a hand pump, tube, multitool, some extra bolts/chain links, etc. And it's only $20!

Check it out -- Hill People Gear | Bike Frame Bag

The group buy is for the black color. I sent them an email about it, and they told me they keep a list of interested people and only produce the black bags when the wait list is long enough.

If you want one, then shoot them an email and post a reply here to keep this thread bumped. The more people we can get on board, the sooner we can get the bags!

I currently ride with my tools in a backpack, but I'd like to switch to a camelbak and move the repair kit down to my frame. The camelbak enables me to sip while I ride, and I've never been a fan of storing a water bottle on my frame since it just gets covered in dirt. The frame bag will go in place of a water bottle below the rear sock on my 5010 to keep my repair kit nice and low and off of my back.

I didn't do it
    If you're planning on using a Camelback why not just put your gear in there?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The frame bag keeps the weight lower and off of my back. The repair kit probably only weighs like a pound or so, but for $20 why not? That's practically free compared to what we spend on our bikes.

Front Range, Colorado
    This looks like the Awesome Straps biggest competition.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    What is the price if we do a group buy? Looks like I can order a green one for $20.00 right off the website right now.... It just says they are out of stock in black at the moment... is the group buy to get them to produce more in black?

Every group buy I have ever been part of was always for a group discount.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    What is the price if we do a group buy? Looks like I can order a green one for $20.00 right off the website right now.... It just says they are out of stock in black at the moment... is the group buy to get them to produce more in black?

Every group buy I have ever been part of was always for a group discount.
    Spam perhaps, Just saying.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeah, it's just to get them to produce the black ones. They need a certain amount of people before they'll make them. No group discount, unfortunately.

The Awesome Strap does look like a good option as well. I'd probably have to get 2 of them to fit all the stuff I want to carry on my frame. Seems like it might be better suited for XC and road riding too, since I don't know if I'd trust it to hold everything securely enough for more aggressive trail/AM riding.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Yeah, it's just to get them to produce the black ones. They need a certain amount of people before they'll make them. No group discount, unfortunately.

The Awesome Strap does look like a good option as well. I'd probably have to get 2 of them to fit all the stuff I want to carry on my frame. Seems like it might be better suited for XC and road riding too, since I don't know if I'd trust it to hold everything securely enough for more aggressive trail/AM riding.
    There's a lot of insight into the AW here. Enough so to make an educated decision. I was on the fence the entire thread and was never convinced of it's super powers.

Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Spam perhaps, Just saying.
    Definitely not spam. I am in no way associated with the company. Check my post history. I just found the bags and wanted to get one, but they told me it could be months before they have enough interest. They're a fairly small company that not many people have heard of (I hadn't). I'm just trying to expedite the process. Seems like a great deal on a fairly unique product that I genuinely thought some of you guys might be into.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Definitely not spam. I am in no way associated with the company. Check my post history. I just found the bags and wanted to get one, but they told me it could be months before they have enough people. They're a fairly small company that not many people have heard of (I hadn't). I'm just trying to expedite the process. Seems like a great deal on a fairly unique product that I genuinely thought some of you guys might be into.
    Sorry for implying it. I'm sure you're legit in your purpose.
    I'm not interested so I'll bow out now.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    There's a lot of insight into the AW here. Enough so to make an educated decision. I was on the fence the entire thread and was never convinced of it's super powers.

Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!
    Nice, I'll have to check those out too.

Sorry for implying it. I'm sure you're legit in your purpose.
    I'm not interested so I'll bow out now.
    No worries. It is a reasonable suspicion.

I didn't do it
    Since when is black the special order color? Heck go with the Ranger Green.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have their chest holster. It is awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thank you DIRTJUNKIE for the Awesome Strap suggestion!

I ended up getting a couple Backcountry Research Mutherload straps to mount everything to my downtube just above the BB. I'm no longer concerned with my stuff falling out of the straps; they're very secure. It is a little more work to get things on and off the bike than it would've been with the frame bag, but it's not like I'm doing it every ride. It also cost me twice the price of the Hill People Gear bag, but $40 isn't too bad anyway. And I do love the minimalist design. Seems to have worked out well.

mtbr member
    Picture please?