mtbr member

Hi there, returning to forum from long hiatus

So after a few years of not doing forums I decided to come back and see what has changed. Couldn't remember my user name and all that so I fired up a new one.

Short intro: 48 years old and have been riding since the mid 80s so not new to the sport at all but I've stagnated over the last few years and not ridden much. That changes this year, I've missed riding and have had way too much other things going on that interfered. I live and ride primarily in North Idaho.

I have what I guess would be considered an ancient 09 Giant Trance X3 26er converted to 1x9 back when doing that sort of thing was just becoming cool. Still rocks the bashwich and everything. And no I'm not all that interested in all the crazy wheel sizes. Tried 29er and didn't care for it much though I'm sure it's great for some.

I did just put on a Sunrace 11-40 cassette so that plus my 32 front should work tolerably. I actually did okay with the 32 front 34 rear but I've always wanted that lower gear for the tired days. Considered going with that fancy 1x11 the kids are using these days and that isn't out of the question but lets see how my revised setup goes this season.

Anyway, looking forward to this season, just waiting for the white stuff to go away.

Hell you talmbout
    Hey.

mtbr member
    Just remember you only lose about half the battles if you don't want to choose them

Co Springs
    If you got or get the bike dialed how you like it, that's all that counts. Some go far enough with changes that it makes sense to get a different bike but it's fun if not nostalgic to keep the old ones anyways. Big savings too!

I'm 56 and did an update bike in March getting a 1x11 and 27.5 + . It's working well for me and I didn't "buy in" to anything in particular... just felt ready for something new and still have my 16 and 26 year old bikes.

I too re-joined from the days of 2002 or so and could not restart my old sign-in for some reason. Those were the days I was reading here, researching and bike shopping for what became my 2nd mtn bike, a 2001 Kona.

Welcome back.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Yeah I've always enjoyed this bike, it rides beautifully and was not cheap. Heck, the only reason I went 1x9 was because people were trying it so I wanted to see how it was. Gears smears, I am a Clyde with horse legs so I just push through anyway. Heck, we all remember the gearing back in the day, not as low as you can get these days but we still got up the hill. But yeah, can't wait. I went for a short ride yesterday to see how the Sunrace worked. I live on a dirt road and it was doable despite the snow and slop. The Sunrace works decent enough and I like that nice low range now. Maybe it's time for a fat bike to extend the season....

mtbr member
    Was it the 'No Forums for 2-Year Challenge'?
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Welcome back. I haven't been on here for many years as well.

mtbr member
    It was life is super busy work grand daughter all sorts of things.