mtbr member
    May 2013

Hi new to the forum and have a few questions. Need some advise.

Hi my name is brian and I am new to the forum. Great board you have here! I just purchased a 2007 specialized stumpjumper fsr expert. The bike came with the clip style pedals. I would like to replace them with regular type pedals but am unsure which ones to buy. I only plan on riding the bike around the park in the trails and not doing anything too extreme as of right now lol... Also the seat is really hard. What type of seat would you recommend to offer a softer ride? Lastly what type of air fitting is needed to inflate the tires? Here is a picture of my bike,

I'm SUCH a square....
    For a more comfy seat, there are a lot of choices, depends on how wide your "sit bones" are. Ironically, it was Specialized that came out with a foam 'fit chart' that you would go to the LBS and literally SIT on, to see how wide your bones are. Without that, it's a lot harder to give you a recommendation for that. Maybe sitting on a foam cushion on top of a milk crate will give you an idea.... Most saddles are measured in metrics (130mm is very common, Specialized has 143, 155, 175, etc.) I personally need a saddle 160-170mm wide, so I ride a Selle SMP Trk. Works better for me than any of the other dozen I've tried.

It looks like you have "presta" valves (common with expensive bikes); what you need is an adapter, brass, costs about $1 or so at the LBS. Have the shop folks show you how to use it.

There are like 453,000 different types of platform pedals out there; a lot of platform riders like the ones with screw-in studs. Check online for those.

Nice bike, BTW!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Hi new to the forum and have a few questions. Need some advise.

Also don't just buy the widest, squishiest saddle you can find. You want the padding in the shorts for the most part. A firmer saddle is actually better on road and mountain bikes. Cushy, fat ones belong on cruisers and hybrids.

It also takes a few long rides for your butt to adapt to the saddle. Your first couple rides of the season will bruise a little. After that, it should go away unless you don't ride more than once every couple of months.

Chafing and numbness are different issues. Numbness equals a bad fit and chafing either means you need different shorts or you just ride a lot and need chamois cream.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Forte platform pedals from Performance Bike are reasonably priced. Otherwise look at the pins. fat pins and short rounded pins work with trailrunners and other shoes with lugs or bumps on the sole. Sharper longer pins work with DH speeds and shoes like 5.10 Impacts and Freerides but tear up the bottoms of tennis and skate shoes. Wellgo B124 have the fat pins.
    The low heels riding technique helps you stick to most pedals with most shoes at medium speeds. You can ride Walmart cast pin pedals with trailrunners fron Asics and stick like glue.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you guys for the quick response! I ordered some pedals, picked up a presta adapter, and will try the existing seat out for a bit and see how well i adjust to it!

Ride Instigator
    With regards to bike saddles, what you need for comfort is proper shape to fit your sit bones rather then soft. Many times this can be a matter of trial and error but I believe Specialized shops actually have a tool that measures your rear end and they can reccomend a Specialized saddle that **should** fit your sit bones well. As others above mentioned, a good pair of bike shorts with chamois will top off a good saddle and it takes some time in the saddle, particularly at the beginning of the riding season, to "work in" your sit bones. I like Fox underliners with padded chamois and I wear them under either baggy MTB shorts or sometimes ordinary gym shorts.