MTB Mamba
    May 2007

Help! Who's been through a custody battle?

Just to be clear, I am not going through one, but know someone who is.

I would like to secretly do something for them to help out a little. Not with the custody battle but with just making life a little happier.

What might they need?

Gift cards for restaurants so they can grab take out and not worry about dinner? Movie passes to have a stress free night out? Both? Something entirely different?

I've been blessed to not go through too many tough times in life so I'm not sure what would be the most appreciated/beneficial.

Also, those of you who know me in real life (not many/any of you do?), please don't bring this up to me in person for fear of you mentioning it in front of the people/person in question.

Thanks!

usually cranky
    ugh i hear you man. my parents are going through a divorce. it sucks. id say the main thing to do is to get something the person can use to escape the situation for a while. things like movie passes, sport games, a night on the town, etc. anything to distract them for a while. id say good company is more important than convenience in this situation.

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    Thanks for the input. I can't really provide the good company as it is just a single work colleague who I don't know that well and I have a family of my own (so it would be awkward/inappropriate) but I can at least provide movie passes etc like you said. I'll try to find out from others what they are in to and go from there.

Thanks again for the input.

"Its All Good"
    I would just suggest being there for them, of whcih am sure you are. But being a listening ear will do wonders..

At times people just need to be listened to...

Best of luck...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    I've done that as best I can within professional boundaries, though others are in a better position to do so and have. This person does a lot of the thankless work that others are glad to not have to do and doesn't get much appreciation for it.

So I figure along with whatever I do I'll be including an anonymous letter expressing appreciation for all the thankless work that they do. I think that will actually be more important to them than whatever monetary addition accompanies it.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by QuenteK25 View Post
    I've done that as best I can within professional boundaries, though others are in a better position to do so and have. This person does a lot of the thankless work that others are glad to not have to do and doesn't get much appreciation for it.

So I figure along with whatever I do I'll be including an anonymous letter expressing appreciation for all the thankless work that they do. I think that will actually be more important to them than whatever monetary addition accompanies it.
    So very true, awesome stuff. Am sure it will lift this persons spirits and help HUGELY
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by QuenteK25 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I can't really provide the good company as it is just a single work colleague who I don't know that well and I have a family of my own (so it would be awkward/inappropriate) but I can at least provide movie passes etc like you said. I'll try to find out from others what they are in to and go from there.

Thanks again for the input.
    no problem man, just trying to help a crappy situation.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Been through one and won but it was a two year battle and something I wouldn't wish on anyone....they are the worst situations to go through.

Definitely help him find something to do to help him cope with it. Because it is very stressful for a guy and the courts tend to tip to the mother's favor (it isn't me being sexist, I have had lawyers tell me this straight up) and very easy to get discouraged.

Even in mine where I ended up getting full custody, I tell you the two years it felt like I took one step forward and two steps back...times when I thought I was toast. I wish I was riding during those times but that was before I got into MTBing.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.