mtbr member
    May 2012

Help swapping Shimano for sram brakes.

I have a bike I'm selling and I want to take my Saint brakes off and fit guide brakes. But the bike has internal cable routing. I have a bad track record with brake Bleeds. I tend to get fluid everywhere! And I have never fed internal cables through. So any advice is appreciated.
    So I should drain them and pull the cable through, should I attach a string so I can pull the new guide brake hose back through? Are Shimano hoses compatible with the guide brakes. If so I could leave the hoses in place.
    Is pulling the new cable through easy? Any advice is appreciated.
    Cheers

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Depends a bit on the bike. My Stumpjumper is super easy to run internals as each line is a separate tube so you just get it started and feed it on through to daylight and go from there to the next segment or step. I guess some bikes can be a bit more challenging but I've never experienced that so someone else might have some ideas.

I would disconnect brake lines from levers. I wouldn't attempt to drain them. No need. If anything, maybe place a needle or something in the brake line orifice but in reality, capillary action tends to hold fluids in place unless you are really flinging the lines around. I just removed a set of M785's from my Stumpy and replaced them with 8000's and had no fluid spill from either. And NO, I wouldn't interchange hoses. For 1, you'd have to be certain to evacuate all the fluids without introducing it to the components as the 2 use different and incompatible fluids. It would be a real PITA, IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    NO, I wouldn't interchange hoses. For 1, you'd have to be certain to evacuate all the fluids without introducing it to the components as the 2 use different and incompatible fluids.

What he said! ^^^^^
    Be very careful! Shimano uses mineral oil and SRAM uses dot5 brake fluid....these ARE NOT COMPATIBLE and will most likely result in failure if they get mixed. Get new hoses for the Guides or get some old SLX to replace the Saints.
    Bicycles don't have motors.