Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help with screwed up brake post removal

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DMFT 
#1 ·
I just got a new frame & was removing the brake posts from the frame. 8mm didn't fit (did on fork) & used 9mm which was a hair too big.

First post off was an absolute bear and on the second I munged the post so an open end wrench will no longer fit. A vice grip type wrench with gripping teeth will not work as it slips before the post loosens. Tried a bit of lube at the thread junction.

Anyone have an idea on how to proceed prior to me taking the frame to a LBS?

#2 ·
furball said:
I just got a new frame & was removing the brake posts from the frame. 8mm didn't fit (did on fork) & used 9mm which was a hair too big.

First post off was an absolute bear and on the second I munged the post so an open end wrench will no longer fit. A vice grip type wrench with gripping teeth will not work as it slips before the post loosens. Tried a bit of lube at the thread junction.

Anyone have an idea on how to proceed prior to me taking the frame to a LBS?
The lesson here is, if you don't have the skill to use the correct wrench to begin with, how do you think you have the skill to fix your mistake?

I could suggest some things such as grinding flats on the post, penetrating oil, and tapping, but I'd stop while you are ahead and take it to LBS.

#3 ·
Use the END of the Vice-Grip (No teeth) and crank the tension UP (so it takes 2 hands to close it) - It doesn't matter if you crush the post cause you aren't going to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.