wafflemaster
    Jan 2004

Help with screwed up brake post removal

I just got a new frame & was removing the brake posts from the frame. 8mm didn't fit (did on fork) & used 9mm which was a hair too big.

First post off was an absolute bear and on the second I munged the post so an open end wrench will no longer fit. A vice grip type wrench with gripping teeth will not work as it slips before the post loosens. Tried a bit of lube at the thread junction.

Anyone have an idea on how to proceed prior to me taking the frame to a LBS?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by furball
    I just got a new frame & was removing the brake posts from the frame. 8mm didn't fit (did on fork) & used 9mm which was a hair too big.

First post off was an absolute bear and on the second I munged the post so an open end wrench will no longer fit. A vice grip type wrench with gripping teeth will not work as it slips before the post loosens. Tried a bit of lube at the thread junction.

Anyone have an idea on how to proceed prior to me taking the frame to a LBS?
    The lesson here is, if you don't have the skill to use the correct wrench to begin with, how do you think you have the skill to fix your mistake?

I could suggest some things such as grinding flats on the post, penetrating oil, and tapping, but I'd stop while you are ahead and take it to LBS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Use the END of the Vice-Grip (No teeth) and crank the tension UP (so it takes 2 hands to close it) - It doesn't matter if you crush the post cause you aren't going to use it.