mtbr member

Help! Oakley Racing Jacket or new Radar?

I don't know whether to get some of the Oakley Racing Jackets with transition (photochromic) lens or the new Radar with G30 Lens...

Looking at using them for riding only, using through single track and a variety of XC courses including forests, etc etc

I like the concept of the hydrophobic lens in the radar, but the transitions of the racing jacket!

mtbr member
    i dont like open lenses so i would definitely get the racing jackets

mtbr member
    I like the looks of the Radar much better and should be picking up a pair of the Livestrong version next week. But I am really getting them for the hydrophobic lenses. I HATE the fact that my lenses fog up all the time during climbs! I normally wear clear lenses anyway so the tint doesn't matter too much to me.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Radars. I have worn mine a coulpe times and they are really nice. Gotta love the lens interchangability like the M-frame.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    The Radar is probably the better buy. The interchangeable lenses being the biggest reason.
    I have a pair of the Jackets and I love them, very comfy, fit well, stay put. BUT, you are stuck with whatever lenses they came with.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

EastBaySteez
    I like the orignal M Frame. I just like the fact that it wraps around. Radar.
    Last edited by Freerydejunky; 06-22-2007 at 12:21 PM.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Weapon of Choice
    I like the look of the radars but the frames feel really cheap for the price they charge? I love the idea behind the water resistant lenses and lense interchangeability. Of all the lenses they offer, which would be the best for general trail riding?

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69
    I like the look of the radars but the frames feel really cheap for the price they charge? I love the idea behind the water resistant lenses and lense interchangeability. Of all the lenses they offer, which would be the best for general trail riding?

During the day it would be a grey lens.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Always last
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69
    I like the look of the radars but the frames feel really cheap for the price they charge?
    I actually have the half jackets( basically the same thing), the frame is actually quite strong and also quite light. I personally forget I'm wearing them when I'm riding.

EastBaySteez
    I tried on my buddies Radars today. It feels like they wrap around alil more than the m frames.

For trail riding I would go with the Radar. But then again its just my preference.

I like that it offers eye protection all the way around so if you hit a branch it cant get around an in your eye. It just brush's off.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    dang, I just called my optometrist to see about getting some radars w/prescription, $433 with the cheapest lenses available!!&!%@!

Youch.. I think I'll go blind and hope for the best

mtbr member
    I ordered some Radar Paths. Black frame with the G30 lens..It is a golf specific model, but is perfect for MTB, especially through forest trails etc

Will report on them when they arrive!

mtbr member
    still not a fan of the Transitions lenses. our trails vary a lot (shade, non-shade) so unless the change is instantaneous, a photochromatic lens is pointless (in my opinion).

i had Racing Jackets and loved the fit and coverage. the lenses are swapable, just not as easy as M-Frames/ HJs/ Radars/ etc.

i now have Radar Paths (custom, G30 vented). the fit is unmatched...better than any other Oakley i've owned (quite a few...). coverage was better with my RJs, but i like the open lens more. the frame feels a little flimsy compared to my M-Frames, but i'm not too worried right now. i think that feeling comes from the way the nose piece is designed. the hydrophobic lens works very, very well. i was damn impressed.

personally, i'd go Radars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Do they both fit your face? I like the Radars, but they feel like crap on my face; the Flak Jacket/Half Jacket/ my Rudy Rydons feel much better.

Good luck!