mtbr member

HELP Notubes the injector?

i have a set of 2013 mavic crossmax slr rims and im having trouble using the stan's notube sealant injector. there are no threads on the valve stem when i remove the stem core. so i went to the bike shop and picked up a new set of mavic stem valve and i still cant thread it to the notube injector. am i doing something wrong??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP Notubes the injector?-img_2373.jpg  

HELP Notubes the injector?-img_2372.jpg  

HELP Notubes the injector?-img_2371.jpg  

HELP Notubes the injector?-img_2370.jpg  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Don't waste your time using the injector. Just buy a two ounce bottle and refill it with the bigger quart bottle. The tip of the 2 ounce bottle will tip upside down perfectly into the valve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just put the valve stem of your wheel at the 3 or 9 o'clock position. Put the tip of the injector on the valve stem no need to screw it into anything. Hold it there tightly with one hand and with the other hand squeeze the injector fast and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Another method is to remove the tip off of the Stan's injector and remove the core from the Mavic stem (as you have done. Slip the bare Stan's hose over the Mavic stem. IIRC, I replaced Stan's tube with a smaller diameter one that fit both the Mavic stem and the injector.

Ghettocop, your method sounds pretty good. I will give that a shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by menusk View Post
    Just put the valve stem of your wheel at the 3 or 9 o'clock position. Put the tip of the injector on the valve stem no need to screw it into anything. Hold it there tightly with one hand and with the other hand squeeze the injector fast and you'll be fine.
    I use a similar method but with an infant medicine syringe (get from any pharmacy near the kids liquid tylenol). It takes a few times but you don't have to break the bead and when just adding a little in every few months makes it nice and easy. Rinse with water when complete and I have used the same one for 3 years now.
    "I ain't right!"
    Fatback 190
    Stumpy Marathon
    El Mariachi SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I use these 1-oz Luer-Lock syringes. They fit into the valve stem perfectly:

General Purpose Syringe Medi-pakô Performance 30 Ml Luer Lock Tip - Syringe, Ll 30cC (25/Bx 8bx/Cs) - Mckesson Brand

A mom-and-pop pharmacy that does compounding will probably sell you one individually. Don't know if chain-stores would sell them individually or not. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

If you care about the graduations, put clear packing tape over them to protect them. They come off quite easily otherwise.

Wheat Germ's infant syringes sound easier to acquire -- I wasn't even aware that such a thing existed.

But I prefer to dismount a bit of the tire and see what's going on in there -- remove buggers if latex, add a little water if the mix is getting gooey.... I just flip the bike over on its back and leave the wheel mounted -- that way I don't need someone to hold the tire off the ground when I go to seat it.

MTB B'dos
    Just use the syringe, the end fits right into the valve with the core removed and just use the vacuum that's already there to suck the sealant into the tyre by gently squeezing the sidewalls and letting go. This is how I do it and it's easy and works very well and is fast.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

The Original Suspect
    My Stan's syringe is threaded to fit both presta and shrader. I put the wheel at 12 o'clock and thread it on then move to 6 and inject the Stan's...piece of cake!

Edit: I am using Stan's MTB valve stems.
    Last edited by HitmenOnlyInc; 06-30-2013 at 06:56 AM.

dwt
    mtbr member

I'm a big fan of threaded injector plus 44mm valve stems. Having the injector pop off the valve and spew sealant is not a fun experience. I hate the Mavic stems also for their short length. I want a stem that is easy to lock an injector AND pump head onto. The 44mm stems are marketed by Stans as being "tubeless road valve stems" while 35mm are for mtb. I use the 44's on all my wheels, mtb and road, as the are fool proof to pump even with a lousy pump head.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    thanks for every ones advices. since i already bought the injector and cant return it. i decided to replace the mavic valve to stan's notube 35mm valves so i can continue using the injector and not buy the small 2oz bottles every time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP Notubes the injector?-img_2394.jpg  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    thanks for every ones advices. since i already bought the injector and cant return it. i decided to replace the mavic valve to stan's notube 35mm valves so i can continue using the injector and not buy the small 2oz bottles every time.
    As I posted above, highly recommend the 44mm. This is what it looks like mounted. plenty of room for pump head to lock on.

HELP Notubes the injector?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372618168.501774.jpg

The 35mm should be fine. But definitely no shorter.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.