mtbr member
    Mar 2011

HELP - My Breaks Don't Work Properly Anymore...

Hey,

I took my bike on a plane, built my bike and am now having troubles with my rear disc brake.

1. It squeaks a lot
    2. The breaks don't lock up when I'm riding anymore

Also, the wheel doesn't spin much (when bike is upside down).

It's a pretty new bike, I got it all checked before I left to make sure everything was ok.

Also, when I look at my brake pads I can see one side has a tiny bend at one of the ends - could that be the problem?

NOTE: I'm a total beginner when it comes to bike parts so please be very descriptive.

Any ideas on how to fix it ASAP? I will be riding it tomorrow.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think you are taking too many breaks. You need to put the brakes on your breaks.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What?

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by carlnudge
    What?
    He's having a little fun with your spelling.

You need to make sure you rotor is true and then make sure your caliper is properly aligned over the rotor.

'Caliper alignment' and 'rotor truing' are a couple of search terms you will find helpful, and you will find the best info in the Brake Time forum.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile

'Caliper alignment' and 'rotor truing' are a couple of search terms you will find helpful, and you will find the best info in the Brake Time forum.

-Pete
    Not to be confused with the Break Time forum, which is pretty much what the rest of mtbr is.

mtbr member
    Delay the ride until you find a shop that will look at it. Better than being stranded or breaking (sp?) something and killing your whole trip.

Or if it is just this: nubee mistake , follow the advise and you're golden!

Good luck!

DynoDon
    Then do yourself a favor and buy a maintenance book, Zinn and the art of Mountain Bike Maintenance is under $20. lots of good info there. good luck

mtbr member
    Also, make sure the rear wheel is aligned properly in the dropouts. Even a little misalignment can cause brake issues.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Could it be a bit of air in the lines that expanded in the cargo hold of the plane? If so, it is an easy fix. They might need to be bled.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It sounds like it needs alignment or adjustment. What brand/model is the brake? Can you post a picture, particularly showing the bend in the brake pad?
    Matt