mtbr member

Help me select new flat pedals

I have eggbeaters on but I want a pair of flats to run around town or if I'm going to the park. My preference is somewhere below $75, and something lighter. I'm not tooooo much of a weight weenie but if I have the choice I would prefer a lighter pedal. I am open to a resin flat if it is proven to be durable and retain an ok grip, although I most likely will go with an aluminum.

What have you been satisfied with at a bargain?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    I have eggbeaters on but I want a pair of flats to run around town or if I'm going to the park. My preference is somewhere below $75, and something lighter. I'm not tooooo much of a weight weenie but if I have the choice I would prefer a lighter pedal. I am open to a resin flat if it is proven to be durable and retain an ok grip, although I most likely will go with an aluminum.

What have you been satisfied with at a bargain?

Cheers
    Wellgo MG1 can be had for under $50 - decent grip, light (magnesium) and available in many colours.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Wellgo LU-A52 pedals. They are light and aluminum with a chromoly spindle. $42.00 If you find out you don't like them, well, you are not out a ton of money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nuke Proof Proton is great flat pedal, tough, wide, replaceable pins, fast, reliable spindle etc. And there in your price range at $72 in AUS on Chain reaction.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    I went w/ these (white of course) https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&...w=1360&bih=627

I wear a size 13 and wanted a larger platform. Not too concerned w/ weight since Im still a lil tubby. Good luck!
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I've got some basic Free Agent platform pedals on my townie/commuter bike. They work great, have sealed bearings and replaceable pins, and were picked up from the LBS at an astronomical price of $25. A quick check online shows that they're available in places for <$20. I have no idea what they weigh, but it's not much at all. They're also made with whatever size spindle is used on mountain bike/road cranksets, which is what I have.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Viva la Vida!

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just picked up some performance Forte converts for $40. good enough for my fat bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There is a huge thread on this mostly for downhill-freeride interests but it is a great resource. Every pedal is mentioned at least 20 times.

Sorry can't post link due to post count but look it up under Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Funny was one post away ! Here is the link Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

EMBA Member
    I think the price might be a deal killer, but I have some Straightline AMP pedals on my bike and they are amazing. Low weight, super durable and easily rebuildable. I wore out two pairs of Wellgo pedals before these - one lasted two months and the second maybe 6 months. I've been riding the Straightlines since June 2012 (around 800 miles) and I've had no problems with them whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dapozer View Post
    Just picked up some performance Forte converts for $40. good enough for my fat bike.
    These are incredibly sweet for the price. Bought these for my wife and the quality is spot on.

Sent from CouchPad via Outer Space

mtbr member
    I have ran 50/50's in the past I and I do like those, leaning toward those right now. I am going to run through that flat pedal shootout up above first.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

On the forte's, did you pick them up at Performance? not sure they stock those at my local Performance.