mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Help me find a wide clipin pedal.

Hey folks, I'm looking for a wide platform clipin pedal. I ride in Ga on alot of rooty rocky terrain and andobviously lots of hills. I have a pair of Bontrager shoes and thought wider pedals would help to stabilize my feet. I don't want to go to a carbon shoe and spend 250-300 bucks. Help me out and give me a little feedback. Thanks up front!

Suckin wind like a boss
    i run shimano m785s. they are really easy to engage, but have a fatty platform area for when you miss the clip but still need to get power down. lots of roots and rocks here in OH too.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

usually cranky
    what brand do yo like? shimano, cb, and look all make versions like this.

mtbr member
    Crank Brothers Acid or Mallet pedals have a very nice wide stable platform, the mallet being the best.
    I have the Acid two, it is very rocky around here and they seem to work well.

mtbr member
    Yup^
    The acid and mallets are close in shape and size, with the mallets being a bit bigger, but the mallets have traction pins which can be adjusted or removed to control ease of float.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have shimano 540's noe but I'm not partial to anything. I would just lake a decent pedal. I'm not a BMX guy I just push hard on the CX stuff and try to ride fast.

mtbr member
    I like SPDs but I have some goute and certain pedals kick my feet ass, even SPDs with some platform to them.The Acids provided enough of a platform to alleviate that so I suspect it is something you may want to give a go.
    Now be warned, for the first couple hundred miles they are a biach to get out of until they break in, afterwards they are a dream.
    But as with anything it all comes down to a matter of Opinion, great time to buy however as there should be some good sales going on.

T.W.O.
    I think it's a combination of shoes and pedals. If you are clipped in you don't need wider pedals, generally speaking of course. If you want to unclip then you need the sole that's tacky enough to grip. I like the M647 and 5.10 Maltese Falcon combo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just switched to CB Candy's and Mallets on all my bikes except my CX and commuter bike. My feet were starting to feel pain and I wanted a better platform, but I think my shoes are worn and the sole is not giving me the support anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I just switched to CB Candy's and Mallets on all my bikes except my CX and commuter bike. My feet were starting to feel pain and I wanted a better platform, but I think my shoes are worn and the sole is not giving me the support anymore.
    My shoes are pretty new just a few months old. My left foot is the one I have a bigger problem with hurting on even short rides. The pain eventually goes away but I like the option of a bigger pedal too. I want to find something that will help to cure the problem. I think my foot rolls out causing the pain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks everyone for there feedback. I'm thinking of going with the CB mallet 2's.

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat, went looking for a nice wide one I went for the Mallets and I am very happy, took a bit of getting used to , I now have them on the road bike too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Could you do this to a Mallet?

Crazy question to anyone with Crank Brothers egg beater experience:
    Could you cut off the clipping mechanism on one side of the Mallet without affecting the integrity of the egg beater? I just can't tell looking at photos.

I am going to get bashed for this, but I am interested in a one-sided Mallet 2. I want to pair them 510 Maltese Falcons and I want the option of clipping out to climb technical rock steps and things. I would also like to be able to hop on my bike in my tennies and not have the eggbeater sticking up past the pedal.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    Crazy question to anyone with Crank Brothers egg beater experience:
    Could you cut off the clipping mechanism on one side of the Mallet without affecting the integrity of the egg beater? I just can't tell looking at photos.

I am going to get bashed for this, but I am interested in a one-sided Mallet 2. I want to pair them 510 Maltese Falcons and I want the option of clipping out to climb technical rock steps and things. I would also like to be able to hop on my bike in my tennies and not have the eggbeater sticking up past the pedal.

Thanks!
    I suppose you could cut one of the wings off mechanism and still leave the spring intact. As for if it is functional afterwards? No idea, never done it.

If you want to try something like that, get a pair of Shimano's M424s or M647s and remove the clip mech from one side (it's screwed on with phillips screws). Maybe run setscrews into the cage. The 424s have grippier cages than the 647s. Sinz makes a pedal called the Expert that already does what you want. Clip on one side, pinned platform on the other. They are molded, though, not tapped (easy enough to fix with a drill and tap set once the pins die.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the response. I have looked at some of the dual sided or combo pedals, but I really want a high-end pedal. I want a platform pedal that functions as a great platform pedal, but with the ability to clip in if I want to ride extended xc.

The big question remains: Is the egg beater constructed in a way that you can cut off one side without affecting the integrity of the mechanism. I may have to pay a visit to the bike store tomorrow.

I Ride Bikes
    My friend rides with a mallet. Looks pretty gnarly and heavy.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

ENDO!!!
    I run Crank Brothers Acid's and Mallet's, using the mallet's more now as hitting more technical trails. It's nice to be able to be able to get grip on a pedal without clipping in when getting started or keep feet on pedals without being clipped in on a technical section.
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    The big question remains: Is the egg beater constructed in a way that you can cut off one side without affecting the integrity of the mechanism. I may have to pay a visit to the bike store tomorrow.
    Not going to work. The egg beater rotates in the pedal, so it would not stay in position.

FYI - Keep up on maintenance of CB pedals. I have broken two spindles on 1st-generation Mallets. One broke after 8 years. The other broke after 1-2 years. I weight 190 lbs and don't ride too hard. The guy in the warranty department blamed it on wear from lack of regular cleaning and regreasing. He said that the grit acts like a lathe on the pedal spindle and wears it down, compromising strength. I told him that I am a machinist and that explanation doesn't make any sense, as you could remove maybe 5% of the cross section if you really let it go for a long time.

According to my research, CB spindles break more than other brands. If you clean and re-lube them regularly, you might see the cracks forming before they snap. I actually heard a creaking sound for a few rides before the last one snapped. I thought it was coming from the cranks or VPP pivots, but could not get rid of it.

I still ride CB pedals and don't plan to switch. No other pedal offers the float that my knees need.

The CB rep said that they are working on a DH version of the Mallet with a thicker spindle and greater Q-factor. Both of those features appeal to me. I have not seen the pedals officially available yet, though.