The Road Warrior

Help Make Decision re: Making an Expensive Commuter/Fun Bike

So, I've got two carbon 29'ers (Tallboy and Highball) with identical parts groups (SRAM X0), and picked up a Highball frame (aluminum) that I now want to use as my commuter/in between work training bike.

I can build up the new aluminum highball with X0, just like my other two bikes, or I can do something else cheaply.

Expensive route:
    Pros- reserve parts, which I inevitably wear out/break anyways, and everything that I own will be compatible and interchangeable with everything else for the inevitable maintenance issues that arise, and I get a good deal on a full bike setup that saves quite a bit of money.
    Cons- it costs a lot, initially, at least.

Cheap route:
    Pros- it's cheap, and probably less of a target for theft.
    Cons- cheap parts can be interchanged, but they're cheap parts, and ride like cheap parts.

What would you guys do?
    1. Build the aluminum highball in X0?
    2. Build the aluminum highball cheaply?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cheap is relative. I ride a Surly Troll with an X7 drivetrain as my commuter but to most people it's too expensive for a commuter bike. X7 works just fine and doesn't feel cheap to me. If you have 2 high end bikes already, you can always swap out parts between those 2 bikes temporarily if necessary. You really can't justify building a 3rd X0 level bike if you've got 2 already because you'd still need to replace the part on the commuter that you swapped to one of the other bikes. So you save no money at all.

That said, if you have the cash to burn and won't be devastated if the bike gets stolen, then go right ahead. Put some I9 wheels on it too for some added bling.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed View Post
    So, I've got two carbon 29'ers (Tallboy and Highball) with identical parts groups (SRAM X0), and picked up a Highball frame (aluminum) that I now want to use as my commuter/in between work training bike.

I can build up the new aluminum highball with X0, just like my other two bikes, or I can do something else cheaply.

Expensive route:
    Pros- reserve parts, which I inevitably wear out/break anyways, and everything that I own will be compatible and interchangeable with everything else for the inevitable maintenance issues that arise, and I get a good deal on a full bike setup that saves quite a bit of money.
    Cons- it costs a lot, initially, at least.

Cheap route:
    Pros- it's cheap, and probably less of a target for theft.
    Cons- cheap parts can be interchanged, but they're cheap parts, and ride like cheap parts.

What would you guys do?
    1. Build the aluminum highball in X0?
    2. Build the aluminum highball cheaply?
    Personally, I think dumping a lot of money on a commuter is kind of silly.

If you are worried about having a reserve for parts for your "nice" bikes, buy the cheaper build and put the extra money away for future repairs.

Plus, I'm not seeing the benefit of having the commuter as on organ donor, or rolling parts bin. You are just going to have to buy a part to replace the one you pulled off of the commuter, anyway.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

AZ
    banned
    X5/7 level for a commuter.

The Road Warrior
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I took some of your advice, and made a few compromises.

-x9 rear and front derailleurs and shifters
    x7 on my current commuter hasn't stood the test of time

-x7 crankset 2x10
    it's a crankset

-x0 brakes
    I live in a hilly area, and my avid bb7s haven't held up for jack

-Easton haven carbon bar
    wouldn't ride without it

-Easton stem, some generic cables and housing on discount

Running total 2500 bucks for a highball frame, fork (the new fox float with remote), king headset, and all components that you see here. I have some wheels and all the rest of little things already.

This isn't just a commuter... it'll be my training bike, too, and a fun bike.