mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Help!!I need suggestions for mtb pavement/light trails set-up.

So I just got a great deal on a Brand new 2010 Fuji Nevada 4.0 for $200. I love the frame and have purchased a couple upgrade to make it ride on the Pavement/road and light bike trails around the lake etc. I got a new Rigid Kinesis Maxlight XLT fork , Slick tires, and some carbon handlebars, Stem and seat post & new pedals... I didn't want a road or hybrid bike as I don't like the feel of them while biking, and I just like the feel of a mountain bike. The only thing is the components that came with the fuji are all Tourney and a freewheel hub where my cassette is the 14-34T megarange. I am looking for something in the 11-28T range for more pedaL power on the pavement as I like to get as much speed as possible. For freewheel cogs, they don't make the 11-28T Shimanos anymore and it's a 7 speed freewheel. Also the Fuji Hubs don't have the option for a disc attachment in which I would like to upgrade in the near future. So I am very limited with this set up.. The Shimano components on there now are the Tourney front and rear derailleur. I am thinking I can either get a new freehub wheelset with a with 6 bolt disc in which then I can get a 11-28T Cassette as well as a better set of rims and hubs which should make my bike be more road oriented. Any thoughts as I have been doing a lot of research and this seems like my best bet as I want to build around my Frame.
    Specs: CRANKSET Shimano M131, 24/34/42T
    CASSETTE Shimano MF-TZ31, 14-34T 7-speed Megarange Freewheel

WHEELSET Fuji mountain sealed 32H hubs, Jalco AX430 alloy rims V brake only with Freewheel hub

Here are some pix of my bike Before and after:Attachment 816681
    Last edited by mpix00; 07-17-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: update on specs of bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just an fyi there are several aftermarket kits out there that allow you to mount a caliper to a frame that doesnt have the hangers. Shimano makes one, so does avid. They range from 25-50 bucks. You could change out the hub to a cassette and actually run a road bike derailluer/cassette setup if you wanted to. Also there are several brands of tires on the market that give you a "road" profile in the middle but have an aggressive setup on the sides should you end up off road.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I havea threaded freewheel hub and I am looking for a 11-28t but it looks like Shimano discontinued them possibly?
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpix00 View Post
    I havea threaded freewheel hub and I am looking for a 11-28t but it looks like Shimano discontinued them possibly?
    It looks like you can buy them here: Freewheels (Thread on Type) for Bicycles from Harris Cyclery
    Click on 7-Speed, under "Chains for Harris Cyclery" Freewheels (Thread on Type) for Bicycles from Harris Cyclery and see if that's what you need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You might be able to change just the big ring to get more speed ,if they are bolted on .A 44 or 46 tooth ring would give you more top end .

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I found 2 11-28t freewheels but they are both from HONG KONG and one is a DNP EPOCH and the other is a Falcon cs-70 IGS.. Has anyone heard of these before? I have a feeling they might be crap-ola?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    RIght now I have the shimano fc-m131 24/34/42T and I was thinking of upgrading to the fc-m131 28/38/48T.. Would this make pedaling have more torque on the top end?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    "You could change out the hub to a cassette and actually run a road bike derailluer/cassette setup if you wanted to. "

I think this might be a great Idea!!! what cassette hub would you suggest as well as the derailleur/cassette set-up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You could change out the hub to a cassette and actually run a road bike derailluer

mtbr member
    Did the thread on freewheels from Harris Cyclery not work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They didn't have the 11-28T freewheel.. The closest thing is a 13-34 freewheel but that is not what I am looking for..

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Did the thread on freewheels from Harris Cyclery not work?