Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Jsgolfer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    132

    Help!!! Handlebar doesn't fit!!!

    I bought this bar

    Help!!! Handlebar doesn't fit!!!-handlebar.jpg

    To go on my 2006 Giant Anthem which has a 31.8mm stem. The bar says 31.8mm. Why does it not fit? Am I an idiot? Obviously I have not tried to tighten it down because the fitment looks so suspect. Probably should just take it to my LBS.

    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Feel Good About Hood
    Reputation: Pedal/Paddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    215
    In what way does it not fit? Stem clamp too big or too small? Pics?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgolfer View Post
    I bought this bar

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handlebar.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	806321

    To go on my 2006 Giant Anthem which has a 31.8mm stem. The bar says 31.8mm. Why does it not fit? Am I an idiot? Obviously I have not tried to tighten it down because the fitment looks so suspect. Probably should just take it to my LBS.

    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    That's weird. Can you post pics so we can understand the problem better?

  4. #4
    Jsgolfer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    132
    I put the alum bar back in so I could ride. It seems like the clamping area of the new bar is way too big. I will try to get pics up ASAP

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,076
    Bar size on MTB bikes are either 25.4mm or 31.8mm. Measure the diameter of your present bar.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,486
    Does the curve of the stem seat where the bar sits, match the curve of the bar?

    Space between the front plate and the stem body is fine, as long as the curves match so there is even pressure on the bar.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,486
    Now that I think about it, this is kind of a dumb question isn't it? you have your old bar. Is the new one the same diameter, or not!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    318

    Re: Help!!! Handlebar doesn't fit!!!

    Did you get one of those new 35 mm bars by mistake?

  9. #9
    I like pie.
    Reputation: Mr5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgolfer View Post
    I bought this bar

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handlebar.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	806321

    To go on my 2006 Giant Anthem which has a 31.8mm stem. The bar says 31.8mm. Why does it not fit? Am I an idiot? Obviously I have not tried to tighten it down because the fitment looks so suspect. Probably should just take it to my LBS.

    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Bar size on MTB bikes are either 25.4mm or 31.8mm. Measure the diameter of your present bar.
    See bolded above-the OP said 31.8 stem. 31.8 bar

    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Now that I think about it, this is kind of a dumb question isn't it? you have your old bar. Is the new one the same diameter, or not!
    Could it be the new bar is mislabeled??

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,486
    Regardless of the label, you should be able to hold the old bar against the new bar and see if the center diameters match up, or if you really want to go crazy, put a caliper to it

  11. #11
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,577
    where was the new bar purchased? counterfeit product is well known to exist on many online sources, especially ebay and Indonesian sellers.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    See bolded above-the OP said 31.8 stem. 31.8 bar
    Yes, that's what he says. He also says it doesn't fit so it obviously isn't.

Similar Threads

  1. Jet 9 RDO Handlebar?
    By quote in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM
  2. This handlebar vs that handlebar (high vs low)
    By Grass hopper in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 06:44 PM
  3. 31.8mm handlebar? Is it too big?
    By ski n bike in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
  4. getting new handlebar
    By nrsnow in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 04:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •