mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Help front shock leaking?

Hello peeps. I am a noob and I just bought a used trek 820 mountain bike. I noticed that the front shocks are leaking this weird orange rust color. Is this bad? Do i return the bike and get my money back? is it an easy fix? Do i have a LBS look at it? Please advise me someone. Thank you

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
    Hello peeps. I am a noob and I just bought a used trek 820 mountain bike. I noticed that the front shocks are leaking this weird orange rust color. Is this bad? Do i return the bike and get my money back? is it an easy fix? Do i have a LBS look at it? Please advise me someone. Thank you
    Used, from a private party. No you do not return it. It's a used bike. Take it to your LBS for a repair.

mtbr member
    If it is the original SR Suntour fork that came with the bike, I seriously doubt even the LBS will be able to do much, if anything with it. The "weird orange rust colour" is likely to be rust from the steel springs and insides of the stanchion tubes. Water has penetrated the fork and is starting to rust everything inside.
    Sadly, the easiest way to fix the fork is to buy another fork. Get something like a Rockshox XC28 or similar. It will be a lot better fork in the long run than what you currently have.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How does the fork function?

If you feel adventures, open the fork up. Take it apart, rinse clean lubricate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So far I have about 50 miles on the bike. The suspension isnt leaking that color anymore. But Im just worried that It might be messed up. Is buying a new front shock worth it? Or have someone take it apart?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    here are some pictures of it. I took it today after my morning ride to work

Help front shock leaking?-photo2.jpg
    Help front shock leaking?-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The fork needs to be overhauled. While you might be able to find new seals for it, chances are good you will be unable to. Your success will depend on the brand/make of fork. A full side and front view would be helpful in this respect.

Again, echoing what others here have said, the cheapest fix is likely to buy a new (cheap) fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The fork needs to be overhauled. While you might be able to find new seals for it, chances are good you will be unable to. Your success will depend on the brand/make of fork. A full side and front view would be helpful in this respect.

Again, echoing what others here have said, the cheapest fix is likely to buy a new (cheap) fork.

Thank you for the help. Think i'm just gonna get a new fork. Any Suggestions? nothing expensive since its only for light trails

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As others have suggested, a Rockshox XC-28 is a decent, cheap replacement. A LBS may even have something used that would work for you.

You'll need to know your steer tube diameter (either 1" or 1 1/8") and how to remove/install the new fork. There should be quite a few threads on that floating around, but the basic gist is: remove old fork, gently remove the crown race (for re-use), cut the new fork's steer tube to the proper size, install crown race, install a star nut, install the fork, re-attach the brakes, and go ride.

You might want to just pony up and take it to a shop for the installation, and expect to spend about $60 or so on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You could put a rigid fork on it ,it would be cheeper and make the bike lighter. Would need the axle to crown measurement to get the corrrect fork.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
    Thank you for the help. Think i'm just gonna get a new fork. Any Suggestions? nothing expensive since its only for light trails
    I had a rok shox tora or what it was called, it was the second crappiest series from the bottom. It was quite ok when it worked (not very long unfortunately), heavy with steel fork legs, steel steerer and steel springs.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Seriously THANK YOU everyone for the advice and help. I took it the LBS and they took care of the problem plus im getting a super tune up. Super stoked to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Re: Help front shock leaking?

Curious, they replacing or fixing your fork?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 GT Zaskar 9r Sport
    2011 Windsor Cliff 4500

nimble biker
    the shock seems to be leaking. can it be repaired?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    because its the original shock (RST) he said its spring loaded and the water leaking out was from when the previous guy cleaned the shock and got water inside. That being said he took it apart cleaned it and greased it and good to go. Seems fine to me after i took it on a 15 mile ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Which rst fork is it? No hydraulic damping at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2013 GT Zaskar 9r Sport
    2011 Windsor Cliff 4500

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    good question..it is a RST 191 C7

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yep, just a spring, sounds like you'll be all set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2013 GT Zaskar 9r Sport
    2011 Windsor Cliff 4500

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the help